Anyone with experience lagering on yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexanRudeboy

Reaction score
I'm about to finally go forward with my first brew. It's going to be a Bock extract kit with steeping grains from AHS. I wanted to make sure I could control temperature of the fermentation so I bought a chest freezer and temperature controller. Unfortunately the costs of this and the brew kit has left me with only enough money to buy the ingredients to brew. I can't afford a secondary vessel at the moment.

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience leaving a batch on the yeast cake for the lagering phase. I know that racking to a secondary would be preferred, but I would just like to hear from people who have actually left it in the primary the whole time (whether the results were good or bad). In the subsection about autolysis, in the lagering chapter of John Palmers book he says, "In fact, I didn't even rack the last Vienna lager I made. I just let it sit in the primary for four weeks, and it turned out fine."

I'm almost inclined to say "*#%@ it" and give it a shot, trial and error, personal preference is supposed to be a huge part of this thing right? But I would really appreciate any input from people with experience. If the response is overwhelmingly that I should wait until I have a secondary I have no problem brewing an ale this time.

Back