Anyone widen the gap on their Barley Crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
I just did my 2nd batch with my Barley Crusher. My 1st batch was with it at the 0.039" factory setting (verified with feeler gauges). I got 87% efficiency, which is higher than I would like, so I widened it to 0.044". Then I got 83%. I would like to be closer to 70%, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I see a lot of posts where people tightened the gap. What should I try next to get closer to 70%? Maybe 0.050"?

Here is a picture of the crush:
2773-0-044-bc-setting.jpg

I think you are the only one who wants to lower their efficiency.

Widen it until you get what you want for efficiency. No big deal.
I don't know if I would jump that far, maybe .048"???

_

I know, I know. There's probably a lot of people who would kill to get the efficiency that I want to lower.

From what I've heard (Jamil), a lower efficiency will produce a richer, higher quality wort and a higher efficiency will produce a lower quality, more "grainy" wort. Jamil claims that 70% is a good balance for the homebrewer, who is generally less concerned with cost than commercial breweries. All of the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles and on Can You Brew It use 70% for efficiency. That's what I'd like to shoot for. With that said, I don't detect any problems with my higher efficiency beers, but I haven't done any side by side comparisons.

I know I'll get where I want to, but I was just wondering if people could give recommendations based on experience. Somewhere around 0.048" sounds good.

Back