Anyone who lived in Germany circa mid 80's. Beer seems different.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
Hi,

I was stationed in Germany from 86 to 88. The local premium beer was Bitburger and the local house beer was usually Kirn Pils.

I enjoyed a variety of beers during the two years I was there but I have to say that the Bitburger I purchase in the states doesn't taste the same.

Fast forward to September 2017. My wife and I took a European vacation. The Heineken in Holland was much better than what is sold here. Warsteiner in Germany tasted better than what I buy here. Everywhere we went the beer was better than the same brand in the states.

One big surprise was in France. I order "whatever you think is the best beer" because I don't recognize any of the selections. The waiter comes back with a Kronenbourg 1664. It was one of the best beers I've ever had. Once I get back home and look for it I find that I can get it here. One big difference, it doesn't have half the flavor and it's in a green bottle.

Anyone else notice a big difference between what you get in Europe and what the same brand tastes like in the US? Don't even get me started on the crap Lowenbrau they sell here, it's so different from the German varieties.

I often wonder why green or clear glass is used for any beer. And I agree, with Max by the time we get it, it has aged. Also, what ever the difference is for beer on tap tasting better. I've had Heineken in the Carribean that tasted better than here. Perhaps it was fresher (at the time there were only 3-4 brands available) perhaps the recipies are tweaked for the tastes of the destination.

A little off topic... I recently saw Miller High Life in the vintage style clear bottles in the craft pick your own 6 pack section! Who would do that? Who would pay $11 for a six of skunky Miller? SMH

Not sure about german brands, a lot are owned by inbev and just contract brewed in the US, but heineken is always brewed in Holland, it's actually one of their rules that they don't brew the main brand in other countries(they'll have sub-brands for local production).

It should be the same beer, so any differences are in storage/time, try a can?

I often wonder why green or clear glass is used for any beer. And I agree, with Max by the time we get it, it has aged. Also, what ever the difference is for beer on tap tasting better. I've had Heineken in the Carribean that tasted better than here. Perhaps it was fresher (at the time there were only 3-4 brands available) perhaps the recipies are tweaked for the tastes of the destination.

A little off topic... I recently saw Miller High Life in the vintage style clear bottles in the craft pick your own 6 pack section! Who would do that? Who would pay $11 for a six of skunky Miller? SMH

A lot of the bottle color choices are branding. Everyone recognizes the green Heineken bottles or clear Corona bottles. And IIRC, Miller uses some kind of refined hop extract that has the skunky precursers removed, so the beer stays fresher in those clear bottles. Not sure about the others. But adding MHL to a pick-your-own 6-pack is heresy.

I was stationed in Germany twice, Augsburg, 1975-1979 and Bamberg, 1999-2004.

I had a neighbor in Bamberg who was a Haseroder salesman and a friend who was a Warsteiner salesman. I never cared for either beer (even the free ones they gave me).

IMO, the beers are different because of freshness and delivery time/distance to destination.

It's the time and handling (stored warm is the biggest culprit for all beers imo) taking it's toll.

Even up here in Norway, northern EU, an imported bottle doesn't taste as fresh and nice as a bottle in germany. The hops fade, the malt fades etc. And, crown caps are not oxygen "tight". You'll se an ingress of oxygen through the crown liner when it's been saturated with gas. It sounds strange because the bottle has a higher pressure than the ambient atmosphere, but it's due to diffusion through the crown liner. Oxygen makes it way into the beer over time.

I stopped buying American hoppy beers long time ago, if they are imported from the US, you're in for a bad ride.

Thanks for the replies. Now that I've thought about it I do remember the bartender in Amsterdam asking if I wanted regular or import Heineken. I asked for what was sold in the Netherlands. It was good.

This brings me to another memory from the 80's in Germany. I had a roommate who drank Heineken. It always came in brown bottles and iirc it was a pils.

I guess the bottom line is that I should go back to Germany and drink beer this summer. For research purposes.

I was in Germany ‘87-‘90. Bitburger was the national brand and NEVER ordered. Our local mega was Eichbaum http://www.eichbaum.com but I preferred the smaller hausbrauerie like Woinemer http://www.woinemer-hausbrauerei.de

Bit was the premium beer where I was. Hahn AB in the Hunsruck. Most house beer was Kirn. On base I usually had a Lowenbrau Export but anywhere else I just asked for a beer if I was drinking beer.

Where were you stationed?

I remember the big national brands back in the '80s--Beck's, Bitburger, Henninger, Lowenbrau, etc. It was OK, but the best beers were the little local brews. It seemed every town with at least a few thousand people had a good, locally-owned brewery. The original "microbrewers," if you will.

Bit was the premium beer where I was. Hahn AB in the Hunsruck. Most house beer was Kirn. On base I usually had a Lowenbrau Export but anywhere else I just asked for a beer if I was drinking beer.

Where were you stationed?

I was in Mannheim on Coleman Barracks.

... the best beers were the little local brews. It seemed every town with at least a few thousand people had a good, locally-owned brewery. The original "microbrewers," if you will.

+1

I was stationed in Germany twice, Augsburg, 1975-1979 and Bamberg, 1999-2004.

Intel or artillery? or something else.

I was in Augsburg from 85-91. I think freshness is likely the key to the OP's question.

We traveled to prague a couple times, and the difference between czech exports and german pilsners vs the real deal in the czech republic was pretty dramatic. I've never been a pilsner fan, except when in cz.

Back in the Early 90's, I bought a framed glass advertising sign for Furstenberg beer at a local Goodwill. It is brewed in Donaueschingen. I saw recently that the draft version is now being imported to the US. Anyone tried it or know where in the US it is being served?

I spend a lot of time in Germany now (my fiancee is from there).
Warsteiner is kinda the Budweiser of Germany. Bit is decent, even here (in a can), but none of them are going to be as good here as over there (freshness).
I always go for the smaller, local brews when over there though. I'm lucky though because most of my time there is in Franconia (northern Bavaria), which is probably the best beer region in Germany. You have Rauchbier and true traditional (amber) Kellerbier and tons of other good stuff available everywhere in addition to the Munchener Helles and Dunkel styles. Up north all you get is Pils and Kolsch it seems.

Go local , Go fresh, and there is still some AMAZING beer to be had in Germany (especially Bavaria, and ESPECIALLY Franconia).

Intel or artillery? or something else.

I was in Augsburg from 85-91. I think freshness is likely the key to the OP's question.

We traveled to prague a couple times, and the difference between czech exports and german pilsners vs the real deal in the czech republic was pretty dramatic. I've never been a pilsner fan, except when in cz.

Artillery in Augsburg...M110A1 8" SPH. Been to Prague a number of times. Budweis too.

I don't believe at all that the beer would be spoiled while it is being transported over the ocean. Yes, this was the case when sailing ships carried beer from GB to India. But the more stable modern beers in cargo ships and controlled conditions...no way.

Confirmation bias and other psychological reasons are more likely. I assume that you didn't have that much beer tasting experience in the 80s and it was somewhat exotic to travel to Europe. If you were having good time in Germany and you were told that they make some very nice beers, then the beer would leave its own imprint in the memory. Maybe you had good company while drinking or the surroundings were memorable. After 30 years of drinking and aging, you are more experienced and you have found some new beers and styles that you like. The same old labels won't be so great anymore, especially when you drink at home. But the memories from the past are strong and they keep getting even stronger when you memorize the good old times in Germany. I have noticed exactly the same thing in just about ten years with several wines and beers.

It is true that some exceptional beers are still brewed in Europe, in part because the traditional recipes and methods were refined over centuries and thus, those are hard to beat. There is a lot of legislation that aims to protect the traditional production methods, too, so it is difficult to make shortcuts to cut the brewing costs - you could lose your rights to use a certain label. The beers that are not controlled so strictly could also change over the years and it is probably true that some beers of the 80s have indeed evolved (sometimes in an unfavourable way) and the taste is different.

I don't know that much about the licenced production, but it could be that some different, local ingredients or adjuncts are used in the states when Heineken is brewed? Or it coud be the fact that you were having a vacation and a good time while drinking in Amsterdam and everything was tasting sligthly better..

Last edited:
I don't believe at all that the beer would be spoiled while it is being transported over the ocean. Yes, this was the case when sailing ships carried beer from GB to India. But the more stable modern beers in cargo ships and controlled conditions...no way.

Confirmation bias and other psychological reasons are more likely. I assume that you didn't have that much beer tasting experience in the 80s and it was somewhat exotic to travel to Europe. If you were having good time in Germany and you were told that they make some very nice beers, then the beer would leave its own imprint in the memory. Maybe you had good company while drinking or the surroundings were memorable. After 30 years of drinking and aging, you are more experienced and you have found some new beers and styles that you like. The same old labels won't be so great anymore, especially when you drink at home. But the memories from the past are strong and they keep getting even stronger when you memorize the good old times in Germany. I have noticed exactly the same thing in just about ten years with several wines and beers.

It is true that some exceptional beers are still brewed in Europe, in part because the traditional recipes and methods were refined over centuries and thus, those are hard to beat. There is a lot of legislation that aims to protect the traditional production methods, too, so it is difficult to make shortcuts to cut the brewing costs - you could lose your rights to use a certain label. The beers that are not controlled so strictly could also change over the years and it is probably true that some beers of the 80s have indeed evolved (sometimes in an unfavourable way) and the taste is different.

I don't know that much about the licenced production, but it could be that some different, local ingredients or adjuncts are used in the states when Heineken is brewed? Or it coud be the fact that you were having a vacation and a good time while drinking in Amsterdam and everything was tasting sligthly better..

The problem might be aggravated by what happens after it's shipped. I've seen plenty of liquor stores where the beer coolers are lit up with fluorescent lights. Those imports in green or clear bottles allow a lot of near-UV to pass. And the stock doesn't always rotate very fast, especially in some smaller stores.

The point about maturing tastes and old faves not being the same often rings true. Back in the '80s, I thought Sam Adams was the greatest. Now it's just ok. The only time I buy it these days is in a restaurant where that's the most "craft-like" beer offered and everything else is BMC.

Yes, and storage could take much longer than the transport itself (depending on the companies and supply chain) and could make a difference. Same thing with malts and stuff that have quite limited lifespan and requires controlled conditions, but may end up in the back room of an LHBS for an extended period of time and is often sold in small quantitities without any sign of production date (well at least here). Beer cans luckily contain best before or production dates, but they still need decent conditions during long term storage.

The answer is obvious.
beer.jpg

Prior to going back to Europe last summer I hadn't given the taste much thought but when over there I noticed how much better it tasted and confirmed after returning.

The most noticeable difference and biggest disappointment was the Kronenbourg 1664. It was a totally different beer than what I had in France.

I'm just wondering how many others have also noticed it. And yes, I'm open to the thought that it could be due to circumstances (at least partly). Drinking a tap Heineken outdoors on a nice summer evening in Amsterdam is probably going to affect how I perceive the beer.

The problem might be aggravated by what happens after it's shipped. I've seen plenty of liquor stores where the beer coolers are lit up with fluorescent lights. Those imports in green or clear bottles allow a lot of near-UV to pass. And the stock doesn't always rotate very fast, especially in some smaller stores.

The point about maturing tastes and old faves not being the same often rings true. Back in the '80s, I thought Sam Adams was the greatest. Now it's just ok. The only time I buy it these days is in a restaurant where that's the most "craft-like" beer offered and everything else is BMC.

I think Sam Adams did change!

Hi,

I was stationed in Germany from 86 to 88. The local premium beer was Bitburger and the local house beer was usually Kirn Pils.

I was stationed in Mannheim Germany from 86-88 as well. Our local beer was Eichbaum. Beer was great locally. I had heard the water used to make eichbaum traveled beneath a cemetery.

Artillery in Augsburg...M110A1 8" SPH. Been to Prague a number of times. Budweis too.

I was stationed in Mannheim Germany from 86-88 as well. Our local beer was Eichbaum. Beer was great locally. I had heard the water used to make eichbaum traveled beneath a cemetery.

I was in Germany in the early 80s. I was in Frankfurt. I loved it- everything about it- but most especially the pilsner at the local gasthaus. I think the local was "Henninger" but I could be wrong.

I'm going to Germany in July, but in Bamberg and Munich this time and Plzn and Prague. It will be nearly 35 years between visits, so I doubt that I'll remember the differences in nuances between the beers. :)

Confirmation bias is definitely a possibility, but i can say for a fact my recent experience was in agreement with OP.

I went to berlin for work, had a little free time but no partying or real fun times. Spent a bit over a week in lot of towns around the city and the river. Tons of beers in a ton of random places for lunch, waiting between meetings, dinner, waiting for train, etc.

Got back home and buddys birthday was at ...... a big german restaurant and beer hall.

Beer brands i had here didn’t match what i had there. Hofbrau haus was the most similar, which i thought was bit odd.

I was in Germany in the early 80s. I was in Frankfurt. I loved it- everything about it- but most especially the pilsner at the local gasthaus. I think the local was "Henninger" but I could be wrong.

I'm going to Germany in July, but in Bamberg and Munich this time and Plzn and Prague. It will be nearly 35 years between visits, so I doubt that I'll remember the differences in nuances between the beers. :)

Rhine Main?

I'd think anyone would be hard pressed to compare something from 30+ years ago. However, it's quite possible to compare what you have on your trip to the same thing sold over here once you get back.

That's what ruined it for me anyway, taking the trip last summer and then having the same beer once I got back.

I was stationed in Vogelweh in the late 90s. Unfortunately, I wasn't really interested in beer at the time so I wasted my time there! I did try a few now and then. I remember that Warsteiner and Bitburger were considered meh beers by the locals. The first beer I tried was a Parkbrau Pirminator that I drank while I studied for an exam. No idea how I scored so well on that test.

Rhine Main?

I'd think anyone would be hard pressed to compare something from 30+ years ago. However, it's quite possible to compare what you have on your trip to the same thing sold over here once you get back.

That's what ruined it for me anyway, taking the trip last summer and then having the same beer once I got back.

No, I was in downtown Frankfurt, in the Army at V Division HQ much of the time (G2). Some of the time I was in an S2, but still in Frankfurt. I rarely went out to Rhein Main, except for very occasional shopping at the huge PX. We had tons of restaurants, gasthauses, even the zoo downtown so I mostly stayed in the city and neighborhoods around me. I loved it so much!

You won't even recognize Frankfurt today. It's become such a huge financial center and the skyline is much different. But the Altstadt is the same. Too many travelers pass up the city, which is unfortunate, as there are lots to see.

If you will be in Bamberg, be sure to visit nearby Nurnberg. The old walled city and castle on the hill are fascinating, and just a short walk from the main rail station.

[QUOTE="I'm going to Germany in July, but in Bamberg and Munich this time and Plzn and Prague. It will be nearly 35 years between visits, so I doubt that I'll remember the differences in nuances between the beers. :)[/QUOTE]

I worked in Bamberg for 5 years (1999-2004). Been to Prague a couple of times also during that time.

FYI: The Weyermann Malt factory is not far from the Bahnhof (train station) It's a HUGE building that takes up most of the block.

If you go south about 11 miles to the Buttenheim/Altendorf exit the St. Georgenbrauerei is there and a Lowenbrau next to it. St George is good, but the Lowenbrau is more blue collar and has a GREAT Kellerbier. Within 100 years from the St George brewery is the house where Levi Strauss (the jeans guy) was born.
I lived in Altendorf.

First time to Prague and Plzn was in 1991 when it was still Czechoslovakia.

"Artillery in Augsburg...M110A1 8" SPH"

Spent 4 years playing on this bad boy.... Haven't been able to come close to passing a hearing test for the last 20 years!!!!

I don't like Heineken... but I do fly through Schiphol regularly... Usually a 3 to 5 hour layover. I sit at the Heineken bar and drink the Extra Cold Heinekens.... They are actually Yummy there but I am not a fan of their CONUS product!!!!

I go to Prague every year. Pilsner Urquell is almost always great while I am there. I keep trying it when I get back, but it is never the same.

I was stationed in Vogelweh in the late 90s. Unfortunately, I wasn't really interested in beer at the time so I wasted my time there! I did try a few now and then. I remember that Warsteiner and Bitburger were considered meh beers by the locals. The first beer I tried was a Parkbrau Pirminator that I drank while I studied for an exam. No idea how I scored so well on that test.

Pirminator! The Hahn beer store (Package store?) would get this in around December. We called it Christmas beer. We also called it Terminator. IIRC it was 9% but didn't taste like it was any stronger than an Export.

Pirminator! The Hahn beer store (Package store?) would get this in around December. We called it Christmas beer. We also called it Terminator. IIRC it was 9% but didn't taste like it was any stronger than an Export.

On our way back from Poland or Berlin trips I always stopped off in Kulmbach to pick up some EKU 28. ; ' )

On our way back from Poland or Berlin trips I always stopped off in Kulmbach to pick up some EKU 28. ; ' )

Back in the 80's, I was still floundering around trying to brew something drinkable. I had just purchased a Guiness Book of World Records, and it had EKU 28 listed as the beer with the highest alcohol content in the world. That's when I decided that I would try my hand at a high alcohol beer, but first I needed to buy some EKU to find out what I was getting myself in to.

At that point, I was drinking foreign beers like Lowenbrau Munich, and thought I was a pretty sophisticated drinker, but my drinking buddy and I really got our eyes opened wide by that EKU 28! He said "damn, it tastes like turpentine", and I said "and it's thick, too".

Well, the quest for high alcohol beer could not be denied, so I proceeded anyway. Of course, my method involved lots of corn sugar and my usual high fermentation temps and, while I did make high(er) alcohol beer, mine actually ended up tasting MORE like turpentine. Now I know why!

I need to try EKU 28 again just for old times sake. I believe I could appreciate it much better now!

So to reiterate what Cavpilot2000 stated O2 is the culprit here's something I typed up on another site. I've been experiencing this more over here with Bitburger, drink it fresh on tap at a restaurant that takes care of their beer lines/turnover and it's fresh malty goodness with a slight hop freshness. Drink it in a can and it's damn close just a slight hop harshness depending on the can dating, malt still there and as lovely as ever. Then drink it out of a .5/.33l bottle and it's already developing that hop harshness and starting to lose that delicious bread/malt that is so appealing. A lot of people that I talk with about this beer find it off putting, but little do they understand it's not the beer they don't like, it's the staling of the beer they don't like. Another great thing Bitburger has done this year is release their 1817 beer which is the exact same recipe, but not filtered, unfortunately it's only in the bottle, but still relatively fresh.

Back