Anyone used the Vortex Stir Plate 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboyeruga

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Midwest has a deal for a free 2L flask with purchase of the Vortex stir plate. I'm planning to brew a big Tripel in a few weeks and think this is a better time than any to drop some cash on starter equipment.

My question is has anyone used the Vortex 2.0? If so:
  • Thoughts?
  • What's the biggest starter you've made with it?
  • Would you recommend it or another one?

I know a lot of people make their own, but I'm looking at a huge chunk of change in the form of a tax return and view this purchase as more of a safety thing than building my own. I don't have the know-how to wire it and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it running for days at a time if I wired it (afraid it would catch fire).

Any comments are welcome.

Just received mine from Midwest today. It's happily stirring away already. Starting yeast for an 80/ Scotch Ale I plan to brew in the next few days. The 2L flask may not be large enough for the size of starter I need to pitch so am also using my old glass jug as well with my "shake to stir occasionally" method. Definitely think the stir plate will give me better results!

I've used it 3 or 4 times, with 2 liter starters.
It has plenty of power and I run it at around 1/3 speed.
It can generate a deep Vortex.
My other stir plate is a Sir Starter.
Id rate the Vortex as better than the Stir Starter, but I don't know about long term durability.

Well I haven't used it, but it should work grate! 2000 rpms with the included 1" stir bar is over kill... at least with that big of stir bar, you could stir the contents out! lol

Any way mag stir plates last a very long time in general. They are very simple and reliable. How ever extremely over priced for what they are, IMHO at least, as it's literally just a spinning magnet. How ever, they are "lab" equipment so a premium is to be expected. That said the second hand relic I have works very well and is probably be older then I am. I think its from like '86 or something... Was only like $25 or $30 bucks with shipping. It gets a little warm though, and I don't see any cooling vents or anything on the vortex... But I doubt a 2014 stir plate has a little electric motor that produces THAT much heat in the first place.

If your interested in making your own, they really aren't that hard to make. Just slap a magnet or two on a computer case fan. With the small DC current they use you don't have to worry about burning your house down or anything crazy. The hardest part, believe it or not, is getting the magnet(s) centered on the fan. You can even use the magnets from a dead desk top hdd, so it could potentially be almost free. ^.^

A sterilized glass marble in the bottom of the beaker works surprising well to.... You get all kinds for a dollar at the dollar store for just a buck. Food for thought... Give a try.

So in conclusion, if your cool with price, buy it! If not, get a used one. Still to spendy? Build one-- And if that's to much a PITA or you just cant be bothered with/no time or whet ever, use marbles or the shake method tell you can get a used one. That's my $.02

Hope it helps.

I made mine, using a project box, a pc fan, small neo magnets, and petentiometer. also a 12v battery charger I had laying around

I tried to make one, I had bad luck.. I decided to get a decent one so I bought this one. size and looks was the factory on why I bough it. I have used it maybe half a dozen times and I love it, never had a issues with it, never even a thrown bar.

Sometimes I think I am to much of a perfectionist for most DIY projects haha..

I tried to make one, I had bad luck.. I decided to get a decent one so I bought this one. size and looks was the factory on why I bough it. I have used it maybe half a dozen times and I love it, never had a issues with it, never even a thrown bar.

Sometimes I think I am to much of a perfectionist for most DIY projects haha..

Haha yeah. I agree. What's the biggest starter you think you could manage on it?

Sent from my HTC One

What part did you have problems with, Cbzdel?

Are you asking what's the largest container you can put on the stir plate or how much yeast you can grow?

There was an excellent write up on her with a side by side comparison of a shake starter vs a starter on a stir plate. It also showed them letting the stater settle to poor off the dme solution, to add fresh dme solution after the yeast finished eating too make a HUGE ccloud of yeast. All using 1l flasks I think, might have been two leeters. Unfortunately I cannot find it for you. Sorry I cannot be of much help. I can't find any posts like that at all any more. :(

It does make a difference though. Maybe some one will stop by with better Google-fu. I'd make one for you but I'm honestly too lazy. :p

Back