Anyone use the Inkbird ITC-106VH yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stamandster

Reaction score
Looking to change out my PID to something with manual control and saw this guy replaces the regular Inkbird with the omron relays. I currently have the Mypin TA4 w out manual mode.

I have a PWM type control that I can switch to quickly for boil only, figured I'd get something w everything in one package and measures in Fahrenheit. Let me be clear PWM is not for mash recirc temp control. I did just get the controller in the other day. Ill post up some prelim info soon. Curious, posting like you just did, is that how you got to over 2k posts in less than a year? ;-)

That controller looks pretty sweet, would love to see it set up. I don't understand, you tried using pwm for recirculating and it didn't work?

I did a test run with mine today. I am going to do biab so I set it for 160 and it got there in no time backed it down to 153 and it held it there just fine bounced a couple tenths over and under the 153. When I went to boil I thought I could just hit shift button and it would go to manual mode. It gave the indication it was in manual mode but the temp stayed the same(could be me since first time I used it). I then went into setup and change operation mode from pid to on/off and it went right to boil in 10 mins. I use the 5500w element and had 7 gallons of water. It was easy to calibrate using a digital thermometer. One problem I had was in the manual it said hook K thermocouple red to 3 blue to 4 set like that I got a -temp reading. The diagram in the manual showed the inverse. I switched it red to 4 and blue to 3 and it worked fine. I liked the fact that when I cut power it keeps all the info I entered in setup must use nvram. The menu and setup looked a bit confusing but when I got in there banging around I figured it out.

I did a test run with mine today. I am going to do biab so I set it for 160 and it got there in no time backed it down to 153 and it held it there just fine bounced a couple tenths over and under the 153. When I went to boil I thought I could just hit shift button and it would go to manual mode. It gave the indication it was in manual mode but the temp stayed the same(could be me since first time I used it). I then went into setup and change operation mode from pid to on/off and it went right to boil in 10 mins. I use the 5500w element and had 7 gallons of water. It was easy to calibrate using a digital thermometer. One problem I had was in the manual it said hook K thermocouple red to 3 blue to 4 set like that I got a -temp reading. The diagram in the manual showed the inverse. I switched it red to 4 and blue to 3 and it worked fine. I liked the fact that when I cut power it keeps all the info I entered in setup must use nvram. The menu and setup looked a bit confusing but when I got in there banging around I figured it out.

Awesome! I have an RTD PT100 three wire probe ill be using with it. Just about to wire up the connector.

Not only were the post connections labeled wrong for the sensor but the manual has Cu50 for PT100 and vice versa. Which kinda messed me up slightly because I initially followed the manuals steps blindly but was getting error blinking.

If you figure the manual operation let me know. I may have just needed to increase target temp. I have noticed several other manufatures with same product. Looks like they slap inkbird lable on the same boxes so I plan to read the other manuals.

Looking to change out my PID to something with manual control and saw this guy replaces the regular Inkbird with the omron relays. I currently have the Mypin TA4 w out manual mode.

Why didnt you just get a mypin TD4 series pid which has manual mode and wires in exactly the same for $32 shiped off ebay and this way you already know how to use it?

When I spoke to inkbird about possibly adding a Fahrenheit readout they said it was highy unlikely they would ever do it as they didnt see the need which is true but its convenient just like the controller which isnt NEEDED either... I believe the controllers they brand are the same ones that has been marketed as SESTOS brand for a long time now...I know their timers are.

I actually just bought one of these to replace one of my mypin td4 pids which does have pwm mode...
The built in timer, alarm and relay functions to activate other alarms or timers was the deciding factor... you can just do a lot more a lot easily with it... and this is coming from a cheap bastard who usually doesnt buy from auberins because their markups are high on most stuff.

Decided on the Inkbird just because, doesn't mean its bad or worse. I have a TA4 but buttons are odd and inconsistent. And this one has F display rather than C on my TA4.

Defiantly does F or C is default to C. They do promos and discounts and give away here. They are a sponsor of this site and I think that should mean something. How many mypin or auberins adds or give always or discounts have you seen on this site. I bought this because it will works for me and they support homebrewtalk.com

Decided on the Inkbird just because, doesn't mean its bad or worse. I have a TA4 but buttons a odd and inconsistent. And this one has F display.

The mypin does F temp display too... not sure if you knew that or you were just pointing out that inkbird did decide to add it.

I think the thread is " has anyone used the inkbird " not tell us about your mypin. We got it
augiedoggy you love your mypin so what maybe you should start your own thread. I am tring to follow this because I have the inkbird and actually use it but you keep cluttering it up with how great your mypin is.

I think the thread is " has anyone used the inkbird " not tell us about your mypin. We got it
augiedoggy you love your mypin so what maybe you should start your own thread. I am tring to follow this because I have the inkbird and actually use it but you keep cluttering it up with how great your mypin is.
Did you not catch the part above where I stated I just replaced one of my mypin pids myself with an ezboil unit... Im not pushing the mypin here
I considered testing the inkbird ones myself when inkbird contacted me about sending me free samples.. This was about a year ago and like I mentioned then they told me they didnt see the importance of adding Fahrenheit readouts and it would be very unlikely that they would add them so I declined the offer. Obviously they had a change of heart... They resell the sestos pids as inkbird brand ones but sestos doesnt have the Fahrenheit version readout so it looks like inkbird had the software changed for there brand on this model otherwise id say you guys could get more feedback if you looked for the reviews on the sestos ones.

I was just commenting on the fact that the whole reason the OP stated he was replacing it in the beginning of the thread it seemed was to add pwm control and Fahrenheit readouts... I had no idea at that time if the OP knew the mypin already had them both.. Since other people read this too I figured and the last comment was misleading it would be helpful to them if they dont want to learn how to rewire in and work yet another brand of pid...

The TA4 I have does not do F although I realize mypin has a device with F readout. I have an ITC-308 and like it a lot, so I figured I'd like using the PID. And actually like the 106VH and itsits menu is pretty easy to navigate.

I did my first brew with the 106VH yesterday and it worked great. I keep my mash at 153 with no problems then I went to 210 for boil at my altitude and it keep the temp right at boil and saved me electricity. Sure the inkbird does Fahrenheit but some people get in over there heads with technology and make unfounded statements. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a flexible pid with way more functions than some cheap ass mypin. I know the mypin rep who keeps cluttering this post with his biased views will not go away or agree but I think at this point we all realize where his motives lie. Once again I have never seen mypin buy an advertisement on this site or offer free units or discounts. I try to support those who support this forum.

I did my first brew with the 106VH yesterday and it worked great. I keep my mash at 153 with no problems then I went to 210 for boil at my altitude and it keep the temp right at boil and saved me electricity. Sure the inkbird does Fahrenheit but some people get in over there heads with technology and make unfounded statements. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a flexible pid with way more functions than some cheap ass mypin. I know the mypin rep who keeps cluttering this post with his biased views will not go away or agree but I think at this point we all realize where his motives lie. Once again I have never seen mypin buy an advertisement on this site or offer free units or discounts. I try to support those who support this forum.

I would love to know how I got over my head with unfounded statements? Would you like me to look for the private messages between inkbird at myself here and paste them here? Maybe you should take a look yourself by googling the Sestos pid and timers and compare them to the inkbird brand ones.. I'm not the one here who's having trouble accepting facts because it's not what I want to hear.. I had the "inkbird" timer myself only mine says Sestos on the front and I bought it before the inkbird brand name got thier start selling on Amazon and ebay. I also have one of the Fahrenheit stc1000 clones they they got thier start with in the home brewing field.. only mone has another brand name on it..

Companies like Auber and mypin and sestos have been selling pids long before this forum even existed and for a lot of different customers.. There no same in the fact that they don't join every different forum in every different country and support or push products there just as theres no shame in those that do so honestly.

I wasn't going to mention this but If you go back a year and a half ago you will find deceptive practices from the then non supporting founder of inkbird when he joined this form with 3 different aliases pretending to be home brewing customers who "just stumbled on this great new inkbird product" and gave it great reviews... Most of the comments were deleted them when members and moderators caught on... (later on inkbird mentioned he had never actually brewed beer). Just so you know is not all roses with your theory on inkbird and this forum They support it so they can make money.. nothing more. Let's not pretend it was some noble gesture. The forum gave them a choice to be a supporting member or stop pushing their products here.
If you don't believe do a search and you will find them.

You continue to keep saying I'm praising the mypin but all I was pointing out was the reasons you replaced them being due to your biased ignorance on them and their features in the first place... yeah you bought the wrong pid for your application.. sorry but it's the truth and yeah even that wrong one you had could read in Celcius or Fahrenheit...

Are you talking to me Audio w your last paragraph? I bought my mypin as labeled agptek from newegg. So it could have been a clone of a clone :) anyways, the point of the thread is for those w the inkbird pid not the sestos clone name mypins. We appreciate your help and the many, many threads about the mypin pids touting how good they are. I was around way before mypins were even being used and there was no info on them. Anyways have fun! Think I'm going to try out the AGPTek Sommy pid just because https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RT5VVQG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking to me Audio w your last paragraph? I bought my mypin as labeled agptek from newegg. So it could have been a clone of a clone :) anyways, the point of the thread is for those w the inkbird pid not the sestos clone name mypins. We appreciate your help and the many, many threads about the mypin pids touting how good they are. I was around way before mypins were even being used and there was no info on them. Anyways have fun! Think I'm going to try out the AGPTek Sommy pid just because https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RT5VVQG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Yes the AGPtek pids are mypins or vice versa... You know that...Good point to bring it up. BUT they do (or did) say MYPIN right on the front even when represented/ sold under the other brand name at least thats what I seen when looking at them on newegg a while back and amazon. (and that sommy branded one lacks manual pwm mode just as the TA series mypin ones.)
mypin is the manufacturer of the apgtek line or maybe its vice versa? I dont know which one was out first and for how long.. We dont know if sestos makes the inkbird pids or they just both use the same OEM manufacturer that doesnt sell them themselves under their own name which is less likely. It doesnt really matter though unless they were priced drastically differently. Or they were different in operation which it seems the new inkbird model you have does (F well as C readout which the sestos lacks) Inkbird does use forums like these for feedback and to make improvements and that a good thing.

I'm really not trying to argue here I wish you the best of luck with whatever brand or vendor you go with and think its great that people here continue to test out new types of pids, thats how we discover the next best thing.

Again the point that just keeps getting lost here was that I was just pointing out the reasons that were given besides "just because" where the to have the Fahrenheit and manual control. Since when people are looking to decide what what pid they should go with use threads like these to figure out features and advantages of one over another I just wanted to set the record straight so they were fairly being represented. otherwise someone who might have read this thread would get the impression the mypins dont have manual pwm mode or Fahrenheit readout.. Am I making sense here? Its ironic because im usually the one in your shoes defending my choice to go with the mypins and advocating their consideration against biased folks who chime in about the aubrins units. Please understand im not trying to bash anything just trying to add more information to this thread for everyone to make a more informed choice with whatever they buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the AGPtek pids are mypins or vice versa... You know that...Good point to bring it up. BUT they do (or did) say MYPIN right on the front even when represented/ sold under the other brand name at least thats what I seen when looking at them on newegg a while back and amazon. (and that sommy branded one lacks manual pwm mode just as the TA series mypin ones.)
mypin is the manufacturer of the apgtek line or maybe its vice versa? I dont know which one was out first and for how long.. We dont know if sestos makes the inkbird pids or they just both use the same OEM manufacturer that doesnt sell them themselves under their own name which is less likely. It doesnt really matter though unless they were priced drastically differently. Or they were different in operation which it seems the new inkbird model you have does (F well as C readout which the sestos lacks) Inkbird does use forums like these for feedback and to make improvements and that a good thing.

I'm really not trying to argue here I wish you the best of luck with whatever brand or vendor you go with and think its great that people here continue to test out new types of pids, thats how we discover the next best thing.

Again the point that just keeps getting lost here was that I was just pointing out the reasons that were given besides "just because" where the to have the Fahrenheit and manual control. Since when people are looking to decide what what pid they should go with use threads like these to figure out features and advantages of one over another I just wanted to set the record straight so they were fairly being represented. otherwise someone who might have read this thread would get the impression the mypins dont have manual pwm mode or Fahrenheit readout.. Am I making sense here? Its ironic because im usually the one in your shoes defending my choice to go with the mypins and advocating their consideration against biased folks who chime in about the aubrins units. Please understand im not trying to bash anything just trying to add more information to this thread for everyone to make a more informed choice with whatever they buy.

:mug: understand :) whatever helps everyone

Which of the Inkbird 106 models is comparable to this Auber Instruments one? I also like Inkbird and would like to replace this PID controller with one of theirs. But Im too stupid to decipher all of the specs and find which one is comparable.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=106
All you need for brewing is the one with manual pwm mode for the boil control, Fahrenheit readout and ssr output... I believe the one in the title of this thread is what you want... I think its the first and only one at this time with these options together although I might be wrong.

These companies are definitely improving and developing products tailored to home brewers... I'm not really an aubrins fan because of the high markups they have on the generic stuff they sell besides their pids but they do design their pids and the new ezboil unit I bought really is impressive with built in timer ,alarm as well as relay controls to turn on external alarms or timers.;. plus it has the knob for easy manual control all in one unit.. and the newer pid alternative function they ues works very well without autotuning.. ill admit it was a lot less hassle then tuning the mypin it replaced.

I did my first brew with the 106VH yesterday and it worked great. I keep my mash at 153 with no problems then I went to 210 for boil at my altitude and it keep the temp right at boil and saved me electricity. Sure the inkbird does Fahrenheit but some people get in over there heads with technology and make unfounded statements.

How did you setup your 106VH? I'm looking into building my first temp controller but don't see much reference of this PID. Can it be configured to control both heating and cooling like the premade 308?
Thanks,

How did you setup your 106VH? I'm looking into building my first temp controller but don't see much reference of this PID. Can it be configured to control both heating and cooling like the premade 308?
Thanks,

It's not ideal for controlling a fermenter... the stc1000 clones like the one inkbird and many others sell is a hysteresis controller and has delays built in to protect the compressor I n the fridge or freezer or even chiller that may be connected to it.. pid algorithms are not really the correct application for controlling a fridge or freezer although some have settings that can be changed to make them work ok.

If you figure the manual operation let me know. I may have just needed to increase target temp. I have noticed several other manufatures with same product. Looks like they slap inkbird lable on the same boxes so I plan to read the other manuals.
I believe the controllers they brand are the same ones that has been marketed as SESTOS brand for a long time now...I know their timers are.
Just got one of these Inkbird ITC-106VHs and plan to build a small standalone controller for a hotrod heatstick for setting strike temp or maybe controlling mash. Can either of you (or anyone else) reference a link to a manual that should be applicable (or mostly correct)? I'm sure I can figure it out, but the included "manual" is pretty incomplete, and better instructions would certainly speed up the bring-up.

Found this SESTOS manual, but it's not much additional help.

Just got one of these Inkbird ITC-106VHs and plan to build a small standalone controller for a hotrod heatstick for setting strike temp or maybe controlling mash. Can either of you (or anyone else) reference a link to a manual that should be applicable (or mostly correct)? I'm sure I can figure it out, but the included "manual" is pretty incomplete, and better instructions would certainly speed up the bring-up.

sorry I am only really familiar with what i use... The mypin pids and the sestos/inkbird timer.
Im sure one of the folks here in this thread can help you out.... I was under the impression the inkbird documentation and support were great... Is it in enrgrish like much of the poorly translated stuff from overseas?

I purchased this ITC-106vh PID and just finished testing out my full setup. Everything seemed to work great, but I have a question about running in manual mode. I switched from PID to ON/OFF manual mode. The run light turned on and I set the duty cycle to my desired ℅. It worked for a bit and then stopped. It appears the set temp value was limiting the output? I resolved this by simply increasing the set point by 100 and it ran fine at the prior duty cycle regardless of temperature. Just curious if I'm missing something that the set point overrides manual mode.
Otherwise rest of the setup worked as expected.

Did you not catch the part above where I stated I just replaced one of my mypin pids myself with an ezboil unit... Im not pushing the mypin here
I considered testing the inkbird ones myself when inkbird contacted me about sending me free samples.. This was about a year ago and like I mentioned then they told me they didnt see the importance of adding Fahrenheit readouts and it would be very unlikely that they would add them so I declined the offer. Obviously they had a change of heart... They resell the sestos pids as inkbird brand ones but sestos doesnt have the Fahrenheit version readout so it looks like inkbird had the software changed for there brand on this model otherwise id say you guys could get more feedback if you looked for the reviews on the sestos ones.

I was just commenting on the fact that the whole reason the OP stated he was replacing it in the beginning of the thread it seemed was to add pwm control and Fahrenheit readouts... I had no idea at that time if the OP knew the mypin already had them both.. Since other people read this too I figured and the last comment was misleading it would be helpful to them if they dont want to learn how to rewire in and work yet another brand of pid...

Hi, augiedoggy. Sorry for our commission before. Forgot it. Pls understand.

BTW, Inkbird ITC-106 series PID controller are different from Sestos PID controller. Not difference from F or not. The operation menu is also different. Thanks.

augiedoggy is honest brewer here. Don't doubt him. He gave us more suggestions how to improve our products two years ago. Thanks for you, augiedoggy.

And Sestos and Inkbird are different owners. Inkbird Company has its own Product Development Department. There are some differences for them.

Seston only reads C degree, but Inkbird can read C and F degree. And the operation is also simplified than Sestos.

cbier60, the issue you met was figured out?

augiedoggy is honest brewer here. Don't doubt him. He gave us more suggestions how to improve our products two years ago. Thanks for you, augiedoggy.

And Sestos and Inkbird are different owners. Inkbird Company has its own Product Development Department. There are some differences for them.

Seston only reads C degree, but Inkbird can read C and F degree. And the operation is also simplified than Sestos.

I am glad to see you have implemented the Fahrenheit readouts. I apologize for my early assumption that your units were the same as the sestos without actually testing each one to see the differences. I had based my assumptions on the timer I had helped someone with which did seem to be the same as my sestos so I assumed incorrectly they all were at the time.

Just had the opportunity to play around with mine last weekend. I ran about 3 auto tune's on it while recirculating the normal volume of water needed for my brew day and it seemed to over shoot the temp a bit, and hold it there. I would set for 152, and somtimes it would hit 155 and stay there consistently. I did play around with the hysteresis for a short period but not long enough. Hoping to play around with it more on my next day off.

Latest posts

Back