Anyone use the Ball and Keg Temperature Control Coil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used the product you linked but had seen a similar product from morebeer a while back and wondered how well they work. https://www.morebeer.com/products/brewbuilt-coolstix-carboys.html

I am sure it would work but the exposed surface areas of both seem small so they might not be too responsive.

Thanks. I’d not seen the one you referenced. Appreciate the additional options. I’m hoping that fermenting in my home at 77 degrees would not put too much stress on either of these systems to keep things in the 62-66 degree range or an 11-15 degree drop.

I’m interested in purchasing the Ball and Keg Temperature Control Coil for use in my FastFermenter conical to better control my fermentation temperatures for ales. Wondering if anyone has used this product and has an opinion? Link below:

https://www.ballandkeg.com/temperature-control-loop.php

Thanks.
I have been using two of their systems on fermenters for more than a year now. I can easily control fermentation temps down to lager temps in my house at 75 degrees in the summer. You do need to insulate your fermenter with an old blanket or a couple towels. I use a small Styrofoam cooler with about a gallon of water in it and I change a 2 liter ice jug once per day for Ales and twice per day for lagers. I was surprised how quickly I could cool my wort initially. I was able to achieve 10 degrees per hour or more with a small fountain pump in the cooler.

I have not used the product you linked but had seen a similar product from morebeer a while back and wondered how well they work. https://www.morebeer.com/products/brewbuilt-coolstix-carboys.html

I am sure it would work but the exposed surface areas of both seem small so they might not be too responsive.
I've been using the ballandkeg unit for a while and it is way more responsive than I thought it would be. I could get 10 degrees or more per hour cooling when I initially turned on my pump. I usually cool my wort to 80 or 90 degrees with a wort chiller in the summer and then use this to finish it up. I'm typically pitching yeast in an hour or so. I can't comment on the Morebeer unit but it does look like it would have less surface area exposed to the wort based on the design.

I use the Ball and keg unit. It works fine and I'm able to do ales or lagers if I insulate my fermenter. You do have to change ice jugs once or twice a day.

I've been using the ballandkeg unit for a while and it is way more responsive than I thought it would be. I could get 10 degrees or more per hour cooling when I initially turned on my pump. I usually cool my wort to 80 or 90 degrees with a wort chiller in the summer and then use this to finish it up. I'm typically pitching yeast in an hour or so. I can't comment on the Morebeer unit but it does look like it would have less surface area exposed to the wort based on the design.

Thanks for the reply and for everyone who’s responded in this section. I’m using the fastferment conical and wondering if any of you are using that fermenter? Either way wondering if any of you could post a pic of your setup? Assuming I’d choose the size bung for the application and just drill a hole in my existing lid to accept the bung? Also, any issues with the bung slipping out or becoming dislocated during the active fermentation process? Finally, is a cheap aquarium or fountain pump enough to recirculate the ice bath water running thru the loop (sitting in the cooler)? Don’t think I would need a riptide pump to do this? Correct? Thanks again everyone. Would love to see pictures.

Thanks for the reply and for everyone who’s responded in this section. I’m using the fastferment conical and wondering if any of you are using that fermenter? Either way wondering if any of you could post a pic of your setup? Assuming I’d choose the size bung for the application and just drill a hole in my existing lid to accept the bung? Also, any issues with the bung slipping out or becoming dislocated during the active fermentation process? Finally, is a cheap aquarium or fountain pump enough to recirculate the ice bath water running thru the loop (sitting in the cooler)? Don’t think I would need a riptide pump to do this? Correct? Thanks again everyone. Would love to see pictures.
Here is a pic of my set-up. I removed the towel I use for insulation so you can see it. I happen to be doing a lager with 34/70 so I'm running at 63 F right now. It was set at 58 F the first week and I raised it to 63 this weekend. I can easily do lagers down to the low 50's if needed. The loop is in my Fermonster and the temp probe for my Inkbird (on wall) is down in the thermowell. I've had no issues with sealing the system, but the silicone stopper needs to be dry and the lid surface needs to be dry. My cooler has a few inches of water and a frozen water jug in there. I use an 80 gph fountain pump (approx $12 at Home depot) and it is plenty. A larger pump would only move the water (or glycol) through the pump faster and that would not improve energy transfer IMO. IMG_0038.jpg

I have been using the ball and keg version for a while now. Works really well.

has anyone tried cold crashing with one of these? What about using glycol and frozen glycol jugs instead of water?

I have been using the ball and keg version for a while now. Works really well.

has anyone tried cold crashing with one of these? What about using glycol and frozen glycol jugs instead of water?
With good insulation I was able to get down to the mid 40's F with Ice jugs which is a delta T of roughly 12 degrees. I have not tried glycol or any other cooling medium. In theory it should work as the delta T should be fairly consistent in a well insulated system. If I had to guess, you'd need cooling liquid 15 degrees cooler than you want to go.

Back