Anyone use potassium sorbate in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkeeg

Reaction score
I SORT of asked this question in another thread dealing with creating a sweet beer.

Lacking much response, I decided to add potassium sorbate to a beer before adding juice to sweeten it ('floris kriek' or 'fuili' style)

Anyone ever do this? In a 1-cup trial run the sorbate didn't seem to affect the taste much.

Will report back. Interested in other's experiences.

Sorbate prevents the yeast from multiplying, so whatever is in there can still consume the yeast.

You need to sufite and sulfate to prevent any new fermentation. Although, I don't have a lot of trust in this methond because I have a mead that I backsweetened and ended up with a highly carbonated mead.

you do need to be careful with just sorbate though. in wine making you can end up (I believe) with a malo-lactic fermentation and adding sorbate can cause teh bacteria to produce a pronounced geranium aroma in the wine...kinda ruining it.

if you want a sweet beer you have 2 options really: sweeten with a non fermentable sugar like lactose, or formulate your recipe to have a higher final gravity. this is easier to do with all grain brewing.

Did you ever finish this experiment. I want to add some fruit to a beer and retain the fruit sweetness. This seems to be a solution but would appreciate your results
David Oh

I cold crashed, added just sorbate, then kegged. The beer was good but the sorbate wasn't 100% effective, and it continued to be a bit active even in the fridge. Let us know if you have luck maybe using sulfate!

Back