anyone tried using 100% apple juice instead of Spring water ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gertrude

Reaction score
just wondering ?
I am completely new to making Mead, and have my first rookie attempt out of the way.
Details to my first "experiment" can be seen here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/new-kid-on-the-block.688237/
OK,... so now that I've got my first (4) batches out of the way,
I've now got 4 empty fermenters (that are looking kind of lonely) and want to get back to work ! LOL !

I'm wanting my next batches to be more successful, and I find my imagination running wild.
So I am wondering what would the results be if I was to make my next batches of Mead using 100% apple juice in lieu of Spring Water? Has anyone tried this ?,
and what are your thoughts ?

Thanks for any and all replies and suggestions.

Yes, that's a "cyser". Typically 1.5-2 lbs of honey per gallon of apple juice. Cider contributes about 50 points worth of sugar, 2 lbs of honey would add about 70 more for a total of 1.120 and 15.75% ABV. Don't go too high else you'll have issues (as a noob). I usually shoot for 1.100 (13%) then back sweeten with honey. Any wine yeast can handle that. Use the standard TOSNA nutrient protocol, even though cider has some in it.

Delicious!

26304853845_9dacb496ac_c.jpg

As others mentioned,whet you're describing is a Cyser...a mead/ cider hybrid. They're one of my all time favorites to make.

You just need to be sure to source your juice or cider (which can impart more complex flavors than just juice) from someone that doesn't add sulfates or sulfites, or else it won't ferment. Ideally,fresh from a local orchard

2 # honey per a gallon will yield a fairly sweet product...think Redds cider.if you prefer drier, go with 1.5#

Motts 100% juice is one of my go to apple juices. No preservatives, and ferments nicely. In a 5 gallon batch, I use 4 gallons of juice to 1 gallon of honey. Follow TOSNA. I used D47 in the last batch and it was very drinkable within 4 months. (1 month primary, 3 months secondary).

Nice 16% abv. Very drinkable. I like it mixed 4:1 with Fireball whisky.

Motts 100% juice is one of my go to apple juices. No preservatives, and ferments nicely. In a 5 gallon batch, I use 4 gallons of juice to 1 gallon of honey. Follow TOSNA. I used D47 in the last batch and it was very drinkable within 4 months. (1 month primary, 3 months secondary).

Nice 16% abv. Very drinkable. I like it mixed 4:1 with Fireball whisky.
12 lb of honey in a 5 gallon batch plus 1.050 apple juice would be 1.134 and 17.5% ABV. IMO that's way too high, especially for a beginner.

Last edited:
@Maylar , not sure why you consider high ABV meads a problem for beginners. In my experience, they tend to avoid many of the issues with lower abv recipes. I started out making 2.5 gallon batches that were 18% abv, no nutrients, and at 1 batch per year, they still turned out OK. (With what I know now, those batches are now ready to drink in months not a year). Obviously you can push the envelope too far (anything over 1.16) but as long as you sanitize, add nutrients, and don't mess with it too much to add contamination, high ABV meads are pretty dead simple.

It depnds on your goals, I guess. If all you want is a snoot full of alcohol then go big. But if you're looking to learn the craft and care about eventually learning to make adjustments for balancing your mead then the more alcohol you have the harder that is to do. For traditional I don't exceed 12%, for cysers 13% because that's what 1/2 honey 1/2 cider (by SG) gives you.

I know this thread is more than a year old but I wanted to add. Yes this is a cyser and not a mead but also YES it is a very successful combination. I use it when I want to add additional sugars to my mead but the cost of honey is prohibitive or I want to deepen the flavor profile. I'm drinking a "mead" I made with honey and tart cherry juice (Is it a melomel? Is it a cysermel? I am not one to get stuck on labels but it is delicious).
I'm also lucky enough to live in central Tejas where we have HEB. Their store branded products are often vastly superior to many of the leading brands.

My understanding is that a mead made with apple (juice) and honey is a special type of melomel called a Cyser.

Your cherry example would be a melomel, which is a mead made with fruit.

Yes. I stated this coyly in my post. My intent was to let the OP know, albeit late, that cider is a great replacement for spring water and give a shout out to my HEB for carying such (Most of the time) awesome selection and quality of ferment-able ingredients.

Back