Anyone run nitrogen in their kegerator for any beer instead of Co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have wondered if a low carb stout in keg and then a blast of nitrogen from a disposable cylinder to raise the pressure up to 35 psi say might be an option. Pressure will fall as you drink and then just blast up with CO2 again to the correct vols at the end of the session. Interesting experiment. I have a nitro keg for my stout so can't play that game. The other option would be to use a beer engine with a creamer for the stout because the nitro was only a way of getting the Guinness to the masses the same way it was on draught in Ireland. After all you can't taste the nitrogen in the beer.
Original draught Guinness thru the beer engine is an experiment I have on the radar.

Curious if I make a keg filled with liquid Margaritas (no crushed ice and filter limeade pulp) if using nitrogen would be a better option than CO2 to push it out of the keg. I don't think a bit of CO2 carbonation would be bad but nitrogen would solve that. My other concern is that the solid would settle and the alcohol would rise. Any thoughts or solutions?

When you push cocktails through a draft system you should use 100% nitrogen. You don't want your margarita carbonated. Yes it does separate. Places that have mixed drinks on tap have to go into the cold storage a few times a day and shake the keg up. Well, those places that care do.

So I was told that an Intertap stout adapter with the restricted plate won’t work for serving nitro stout, I’ve been told I need a nitro faucet? Anyone have experience with this?

what’s the best way to achieve nitro?
I have both intertap faucets and a nice Guinness stout faucet and I had forgotten I bought the intertap stout faucet adapter some years ago. So I decided to try it out and they pour exactly the same with the beer gas mix. I'm actually considering selling my stout faucet and getting another intertap so I can interchange when I don't have any nitro worthy beer brewed to put on nitro.

Is your nitro cold brew on straight N2 or N2 + CO2?

I dispensed a keg of white wine on N2...

Beer gas - I don’t mind the light carb in the cold brew and didn’t want to faff about with maintaining beer gas levels with alternating CO2 and Nitrogen for the Nitro beers.

I’ve got carb and nitro taps. Enjoy the side by side of same brew served differently as well a nitro cold brew coffee made to my caffeine preference. Beer gas fills are more expensive (and doesn’t stretch as far since it is gas and not liquid like a CO2 tank), so I keep both. If you had majority nitro taps, then sure, you could compensate the odd carbonated beer with extra line, but the cost delta and having only 2 nitro taps of 8 in service means two cylinders for me.
good lord that is a beautiful thing!

Back