Anyone pitching cold yeast into cooled wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumstigedy

Reaction score
Is anyone pitching cold yeast (right out of the fridge) into their cooled wort? I did some searching and found some old posts about this, but wanted to find out if anyone is currently doing this and what the results are?

My current process is to pull the starter out of the fridge 1st thing on brew day, decant, add fresh wort and leave out at room temperature. By the time I am ready to pitch into my cooled wort, the yeast is active. My concern is that I am sometimes pitching yeast that is in the mid 70's into word in the 60 to 67F range and that this may be slowing the yeast down a bit.

Cold pitching would solve this, but I am a scared to try it without hearing some success stories from others.

Is anyone pitching cold yeast (right out of the fridge) into their cooled wort? I did some searching and found some old posts about this, but wanted to find out if anyone is currently doing this and what the results are?

My current process is to pull the starter out of the fridge 1st thing on brew day, decant, add fresh wort and leave out at room temperature. By the time I am ready to pitch into my cooled wort, the yeast is active. My concern is that I am sometimes pitching yeast that is in the mid 70's into word in the 60 to 67F range and that this may be slowing the yeast down a bit.

Cold pitching would solve this, but I am a scared to try it without hearing some success stories from others.

Ideally, the yeast and wort would be the same temperature or the yeast would be slightly cooler than the wort.

I'd try to keep the yeast no higher than 60-65 degrees before pitching.

cold pitching works just fine. I try not to pitch it directly out of the fridge, but i have pitched several times with pretty cold yeast. You dont want to pitch yeast into cooler wort, because they can get temp shocked and go dormant, but i have never heard of anyone having cold yeast into wort issues.

I would think that a big temperature change in either direction would not be ideal. I don't worry about a few degrees and have not had any noticeable ill effects. Most of my ferments with starters are going in 4-6 hours.

Latest posts

Back