Anyone participating in Ballest Point OG20?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Ballast Point's annual home brew competition is coming up, this will be my first competition ever and I'm looking forward to just getting some feedback from reputable people!

I will be submitting a Pale, Super, 25B Saison.

Anyone else participating in this, and if so what are you submitting!?

I think I might give it a go. Help me classify my beer as I don't brew strictly to BJCP style guidelines. I am thinking of entering it as American Lager. ABV 5% IBU 28 and SRM 3.8 per Brewers Friend. It is a little higher on the IBU than the guidelines of 8-18 IBU

I am also entering a Pale, Super Saison!! Plus an American Brown Ale. First time entering also! Looking forward to some unbiased feedback as well! All my friends think my 'free' beer is AMAZING!!! Damn kiss asses hahaha

I think I might give it a go. Help me classify my beer as I don't brew strictly to BJCP style guidelines. I am thinking of entering it as American Lager. ABV 5% IBU 28 and SRM 3.8 per Brewers Friend. It is a little higher on the IBU than the guidelines of 8-18 IBU

Guess that depends what the yeast, hops, and grain bill looked like.

Sending in a porter under the Strong British Ale category, didn't fit English, American, or Baltic porters... Just want to get some feedback :)

Looks like there should be plenty of entries that's for sure! I'm just looking to get some solid feedback because myself and my friends are loving my Saison!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463193319.282481.jpg

100% American pilsner malt, Mt Hood Hops, White Lab American Lager yeast WLP840 :tank:

I just brewed my first lager myself a Czech Pilsner so maybe someone else can chime in, but looks like it is closest to American Pilsner to me.

Are you guys just shipping to the brewery? I can't find the shipping address for the competition.

I scored a 29 on my lager which I had on tap at the time I saw this post. Feedback was excellent beer but would have scored higher if not for diacetyl. I am curious of how to I could fix that next time, I rested it for several days before kegging and then there should still have been time in the bottle before they judged it. Overall I am happy since I was not planning on a judging beer and usually my beers are experiments on hop combos or grain flavors.:tank:

Thanks for checking in, I have not received anything yet in the mail or email. They told me last week scores would be mailed out by today.

Got mine finally, had to email them to get it.

Scored a 32 & 36 on my Pale/Strong Saison.

Not overall very happy about my feedback as they didn't put a single thing in the comments. That's kind of annoying when it didn't score perfect, could have given some feedback.

Finally got mine as well....Sent in a Russian Imperial Stout. One score sheet was a 38 with no explanation and the other was a 10 with no explanation. I'm guessing the 10 bottle must not have had a good seal or something. Comments would have been nice.

Latest posts

Back