anyone on want to BS about upgrades and brewing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
As the title states... anyone one right now that wants to BS about brewing upgrades or just brewing in general? shame we don't have a chat room LOL

You ever want to upgrade but then think,what I have works. And what if what I upgrade doesn’t work as good and ends up on the shelf. That’s $ I could of spent on ingredients making more beer.
That’s my dilemma every time I want to upgrade something.
Plus I think most of it is from the wife chirping in my ear about spending $

There are other ways to upgrade besides throwing funds at your system, not that that is a bad way to go.

One can do a lot oneself if inclined in that direction and/or one wants to learn. Or some combination:

Made a 3 vessel system by adding some ports to some kegs. A year later made it electric by adding tri clamps for heat elements.

Bought a controller, but many make them. Got my SS conical fermentors used, they are not as versatile as some of the ones available to buy these days, but they work just fine.

When time for temp control fermenting, made a glycol chiller out of a window AC. Every time I do a project like this I learn a lot too.

If it all seems like too much investment and work, that is OK too, if you know a place that sells the beer you like.

+1

im firm believer in starting basic and building your upgraded system on your own. also in buying used and trading up.

There are other ways to upgrade besides throwing funds at your system, not that that is a bad way to go.

One can do a lot oneself if inclined in that direction and/or one wants to learn. Or some combination:

Made a 3 vessel system by adding some ports to some kegs. A year later made it electric by adding tri clamps for heat elements.

Bought a controller, but many make them. Got my SS conical fermentors used, they are not as versatile as some of the ones available to buy these days, but they work just fine.

When time for temp control fermenting, made a glycol chiller out of a window AC. Every time I do a project like this I learn a lot too.

If it all seems like too much investment and work, that is OK too, if you know a place that sells the beer you like.
+1 on the DIY aspect. That’s one of the things I love about brewing is being able to adapt or make things work for what you need.

after 15 years of using 1/4" beer tubing. and two years of knowing i should be using 3/16". i finally bit the bullet and spent $8 on 2 10' rolls of 3/16", damn what an improvment!

(i gotta say that 5/16" barb really was a pain to get squeezed in though! lol)

I recently just 'upgraded' my process. AKA quit being a *******. I've been brewing on a used turkey burner, in a cheap 10g kettle (that I grossly overpaid for..), and a used 10g cooler MT. Up until 2 brews ago my process was to heat strike water in kettle, dough in, vorlauff, collect first runnings, then use my 3 gallon stock pot to double batch sparge. But, I was using my burner to heat the sparge water (twice!). Something finally clicked and I've started using my 3g stock pot and my 2g kitchen SS stockpot to heat ALL of my sparge water at once on the kitchen stove while I'm mashing and just like that, I shaved 90 minutes off my brew days...

The next equipment addition I'm looking for though is a stir plate. Or a water filter so I can quit buying distilled.. Other than that I'd probably start with a more efficient burner and another kettle for sparge water, basically making a 3 vessel system.

I could always use some more kegs, to. And another fridge...and a.. And a... And a... And a...

Latest posts

Back