Anyone older than me ever get carded?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
I'm not talking about entering a club or something where they check all ID's. I mean a true discretionary carding. I was carded about a month ago ordering a pint of Bass in a Red Robin restaurant. I'm 47 years old. The waitress was probably young enough to be my daughter. I've been there plenty of times before and never gotten asked for ID, so I know it's not policy to card every grandpa that comes in.

Anyone beat 47?

I'm not talking about entering a club or something where they check all ID's. I mean a true discretionary carding. I was carded about a month ago ordering a pint of Bass in a Red Robin restaurant. I'm 47 years old. The waitress was probably young enough to be my daughter. I've been there plenty of times before and never gotten asked for ID, so I know it's not policy to card every grandpa that comes in.

Anyone beat 47?

My husband got carded buying beer at Piggly Wiggly. He's 53. He's really cute, though, so I dunno if it was a come-on or if the idiot clerk really thought he might be under 30. The sign says their policy to card anyone who appears to be under 30.

My wife is 37, actually a little bit older than I am. When we go out with my daughter, people think I'm a single dad with two kids.

I used to drink in bars all the time when I was 19 and 20, and was never carded. I didn't start getting carded until I was around 25 and had a full beard - still have the full beard and still get carded now almost four years later.

Drinking age is 18 where I am. When I was 17 I moved out of my parent's house. I would buy beer and go to bars all the time without getting asked, but I got refused entry into R rated movies and continued to get carded at theaters even after I turned 18.

At 44, I can't remember the last time I was carded. Might have something to do with the salt and pepper beard.

Does a bear **** in the woods? Getting carded is a fact of life for me. Accroding to bartenders and clerks I will still be carded when I am your age. I am blessed/cursed with a babyface.

The waitress was probably young enough to be my daughter. I've been there plenty of times before and never gotten asked for ID, so I know it's not policy to card every grandpa that comes in.

Maybe they had a problem with it recently and the owner/manager was forcing them to card everyone. Fines/etc

got carded in the states when i was around 28 because my friend(who is younger) was buying beer and the cashier saw us come in together

I'm 38 and generally get carded if I am wearing a hat (I'm bald). But in Oregon we have some crazy reg that states they have to card if they think you're under 35 or something silly like that.

A couple months ago I started getting carded no matter where I went in town. After a week of this I asked the clerk at the market why. She said that a local store got caught selling alcohol to an underage person and everyone was paranoid and covering their ass because local laws allow both the store and the clerk selling the alcohol to be fined.

I've been carded three times in the last year in places that were not carding everyone and I'm 56. Last time, I told the bartender, "I'm older than your mother." She looked at my ID and said, "How did you know that?"

I saw a guy, prolly almost 70 get carded. It was the store policy. My coworker who is about 57 was asked if he had his ID, to which he replied "I sure do". Hehe.

I got carded a few months ago. Can't beat your age, I'm 39, but it was pretty funny when the waitress looked up from my ID in surprise and said, "Wow! You really look GOOD!"

:D

I saw a guy, prolly almost 70 get carded. It was the store policy. My coworker who is about 57 was asked if he had his ID, to which he replied "I sure do". Hehe.

Yeah, but the situations I was talking about weren't some "store policy that we card senior citizens" or something. It was a true "I don't think you're 21" carding. You can tell the difference.

Seriously though. I know I look younger than 47. But under 21? About a year ago my wife and I were carded in a Friday's. We had our two daughters with us, 8 and 10. Did the waitress think we had these kids when we were 9 years old? Once were were at a local dive and they carded my wife (then about 40) who had no ID on here. She looked at the waitress and said, "do you SEE these bags under my eyes?" She got served.

Sometimes I get it. Once I was eating lunch at Hooters with some younger co-workers, all over 21 but still much younger than me. They all ordered soft drinks. I ordered a beer and got carded. Given the company I was with and the fact that they all got Pepsi, I understood that. Or maybe if I was buying a quart of cold Colt 45 on a Saturday night. But a pint of Bass in a Red Robin on a weeknight? C'mon. I don't look THAT young.

I got carded a couple weeks ago (I'm 43) at a hooters...My friends who also got carded are in their 50's...We asked about it and they said it's policy and they aren't just checking dates...I guess you have to have a "valid ID" in order to get served...Meaning, I guess, that if your driver license is pulled (for a dui,) or expired, or something, they will not serve you.

I rarely get carded but would expect to as I'm only 23 (legal age 18).

I'm only posting because of the comment above about being carded dcepending on what you order as apposed to the age you look.

I recently was asked for ID buying a single bottle of Fuller's London Pride yet the same shop a few days later let me buy a case of miller, a case of heineken, and 8 bottles of staropramen with out ID. Me thinks they got that one backwards...

I got carded a few months ago. Can't beat your age, I'm 39, but it was pretty funny when the waitress looked up from my ID in surprise and said, "Wow! You really look GOOD!"

:D

My swmbo gets that all the time, me not so much:mad:
She's 39 and could easily pass for 28, At least it looks like im married to a younger chick. Trouble is she's 6 months older.:eek:

I don't tend to get carded, anymore. However, I sometimes volunteer to pour beer at the Saint Arnold tour. I once carded a 49-year-old woman. I think I made a friend for life.

TL

I'm a restaurant manager, and we card anyone who looks under 30, and there are many people into their 40s who look under 30. The thing I don't understand is when people get angry when they get carded. Consider it a complement!

I have been carded maybe 3 times in my life (I'm 38). I guess I have just always looked old...

My husband got carded buying beer at Piggly Wiggly. He's 53. He's really cute, though, so I dunno if it was a come-on or if the idiot clerk really thought he might be under 30. The sign says their policy to card anyone who appears to be under 30.

The sign may say under 30, but grocery stores card everyone. I've seen little old ladies with walkers get carded. They have to. The computer won't scan the alcohol until you enter the birth date from the ID.

I'm only 23 and rarely get carded. The SHMBO is 25 and is always asked for ID... which never ceases to piss her off :)

Funny carding story: when i was in high school I worked at a walgreen's. We had one clerk who was so afraid of getting in trouble she carded everybody. One day she carded a 70+ year old woman for cigarettes and when she didn't have ID she refused the sale. The lady threw a complete fit... and I was laughing uncontrollably in the back of the store... how uptight can you get...

My family is in the restaurant business.... and we own a few locations throughout the southern United States. Our policy is to card everyone, no matter what. This way it becomes routine and there's less change of someone "forgetting" to card.

The sign may say under 30, but grocery stores card everyone. I've seen little old ladies with walkers get carded. They have to. The computer won't scan the alcohol until you enter the birth date from the ID.

Having spent my entire adult life working in the grocery industry, I can tell you that you are absolutely positively kind of right :drunk:

Most modern register systems DO require you to enter a date...
Most checkers who have been doing there job for more than a week can tell you a handful of dates off the top of their head that will qualify as legal drinking age, and they punch those in with out even looking.

The main time that grocery stores "check everyone" is when there are stings going on in their area. Here in Washington, a store can have its liquor license pulled for a time, AND the clerk can receive a fine. This usually results in the clerk looking for a new job to pay that fine with, so most clerks are pretty good about covering their butts if they even possibly question your age, the validity of your ID, etc. At least in Washington, the clerk has the right to refuse the sale of alcohol to any one at any time, for pretty much any reason, and trust me, I refused a LOT of sales in my days in the checkstand.

I'm only 23 and rarely get carded. The SHMBO is 25 and is always asked for ID... which never ceases to piss her off :)

Funny carding story: when i was in high school I worked at a walgreen's. We had one clerk who was so afraid of getting in trouble she carded everybody. One day she carded a 70+ year old woman for cigarettes and when she didn't have ID she refused the sale. The lady threw a complete fit... and I was laughing uncontrollably in the back of the store... how uptight can you get...

The governor of Washington was recently denied access to a bar because she did not have her ID on her... she is 61 years old... and looks it...

Yeah, but the situations I was talking about weren't some "store policy that we card senior citizens" or something. It was a true "I don't think you're 21" carding. You can tell the difference.

Seriously though. I know I look younger than 47. But under 21? About a year ago my wife and I were carded in a Friday's. We had our two daughters with us, 8 and 10. Did the waitress think we had these kids when we were 9 years old? Once were were at a local dive and they carded my wife (then about 40) who had no ID on here. She looked at the waitress and said, "do you SEE these bags under my eyes?" She got served.

Sometimes I get it. Once I was eating lunch at Hooters with some younger co-workers, all over 21 but still much younger than me. They all ordered soft drinks. I ordered a beer and got carded. Given the company I was with and the fact that they all got Pepsi, I understood that. Or maybe if I was buying a quart of cold Colt 45 on a Saturday night. But a pint of Bass in a Red Robin on a weeknight? C'mon. I don't look THAT young.

Ahh, gotcha. Well I get it occasionally, but I look much younger than my age. Prolly act like it too :D. The funniest was with my 10 year old in tow and got carded. I would have been at most 10 myself when I fathered her if that were the case :fro:

Got carded again last week. The guy freaked, as he was 15 years younger than I am and he "Checks anyone who looks younger than himself.". So, he's checking people up to their 40s?

I got carded in a grocery store in Portland OR buying beer. All I could think of was people in Portland must really be rough if she's carding me. Let's just say I beat 47.

Anyone under 30?? No wonder that is a tuff call to make with any certainty.

My dad got carded a couple weeks ago. It is an unfortunate lady who works at a local grocer. He is 58.... we were floored. We were laughing so hard at her, it was pretty funny. All the other employees were giving her looks like, 'are you serious?' It was pretty comical. Also, he now has an almost completely white mustache.

My 29 year old girlfriend and I - 26 years old - were carded two months ago at a rated R movie. Did the grandma behind the register really think either of us was 17? Seriously...

I was once the stupid clerk.

Gorgeous woman walks through the store. Can't help but check her out when ever she goes past (I was 19... not that it's changed much...).

She buys a couple bottles of wine - I card her, sure she's over 21, but MAYBE 25-30 (we were supposed to card everyone under 30 I think... been a while).

She was 49. I was shocked - she found it quite the compliment.

*I guess I should add that at 28, I can't remember the last time I got carded...

I'm getting to the point where I'm getting offended when they don't card me.

This week, I've had two separate occasions where someone literally sitting next to me was carded when I wasn't. I suppose it's all the white hairs in my goatee that's doing it.

Either that, or I don't look nearly as Adonis-like as I think I do.

I got carded in a grocery store in Portland OR buying beer. All I could think of was people in Portland must really be rough if she's carding me. Let's just say I beat 47.

They probably wanted to know where all y'all were from, rather than if you were of age :D

They probably wanted to know where all y'all were from, rather than if you were of age :D

Yea, 2 of my kids live in Portland we visit there a lot, it's an interesting mix of people. We have a year round sun tan and when we go to Portland that is usualy the first comment we get from new people is wow, you guys got some sun. The first time we were puzzeled, now we just say, yea, 350 days a year.

Back