Anyone Made a Beer with Grain and Hop Leftovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew beer about once every two weeks. I buy 2-row pale and a few hops in bulk, but generally I order grains and hops on an as-needed basis. For example I have a few ounces of Crystal 60L, some Briess Victory and some Carapils left over from previous brews. I also have between .25oz - .50oz of about 10 different hops.

So, has anyone ever made a beer just from leftovers for fun? and what was the result?

Just did it a few weekends ago and I'm drinking it now. I brewed a hazey APA and a cream ale. After dumping the cream ale out of the mash tun and into the boil kettle I tossed the APA grains in with the cream ale grains and filled the mash tun to the top, letting it sit while the cream ale boiled. When I in turn ran it off into the boil kettle I had an SG of 1.020, which I managed to get up to 1,029 after a vigorous boil. Bittered with some Magnum and some Citra I had left over, fermented it with my house kveik, and dry hopped it with 20g of Idaho 7 and 10g of Citra, thus clearing my fridge of several opened bags of hops with a few grams in each.
Its a really good lite beer, I could drink it all day long.
It was a bit of extra work and made for a long brew day but I got 20 litres of beer for free, so, well worth it. Madness not to really.

Most of us have leftovers after a while. Like Miraculix says, search for kitchen sink beers. "Everything in it but the kitchen sink". I have a decent session Northern English ale on tap now from leftovers.

Just did this and made a super fruity IPA with my leftover hops, then with the dredges of my grain made a German Pilsner. Both are currently bottle conditioning so I’ll see how they turned out when I bring them to a 4th of July party in a couple weeks

I did this a couple of years ago, when I came back to homebrewing after 5 years away...
I had a bunch of malts sitting in a sealed bucket, old packets of dry yeast (various), and a couple pounds of dried spray malt extract, but had no hops. So I bought some saaz and threw it all together, not knowing if it would work.
Everything was long out of date after sitting for 5 years but to my surprise it started bubbling away after about 12 h and made a pretty great belgian trippel after a couple months of bottle conditioning. Called it the trashcan trippel... don't think I'll be able to replicate that one though!

Most of my beers are simple recipes to drink with friends, so I put what I have in BrewMate and make a recipe that way. It's mostly better (and always cheaper) than store-bought beer, and it's all drunk. None of the ingredients are wasted.

Back