Anyone Made a Beer with Grain and Hop Leftovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

thomer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew beer about once every two weeks. I buy 2-row pale and a few hops in bulk, but generally I order grains and hops on an as-needed basis. For example I have a few ounces of Crystal 60L, some Briess Victory and some Carapils left over from previous brews. I also have between .25oz - .50oz of about 10 different hops.

So, has anyone ever made a beer just from leftovers for fun? and what was the result?

Gilbert Spinning Horse

Reaction score
Just did it a few weekends ago and I'm drinking it now. I brewed a hazey APA and a cream ale. After dumping the cream ale out of the mash tun and into the boil kettle I tossed the APA grains in with the cream ale grains and filled the mash tun to the top, letting it sit while the cream ale boiled. When I in turn ran it off into the boil kettle I had an SG of 1.020, which I managed to get up to 1,029 after a vigorous boil. Bittered with some Magnum and some Citra I had left over, fermented it with my house kveik, and dry hopped it with 20g of Idaho 7 and 10g of Citra, thus clearing my fridge of several opened bags of hops with a few grams in each.
Its a really good lite beer, I could drink it all day long.
It was a bit of extra work and made for a long brew day but I got 20 litres of beer for free, so, well worth it. Madness not to really.

lumpher

Reaction score
Most of us have leftovers after a while. Like Miraculix says, search for kitchen sink beers. "Everything in it but the kitchen sink". I have a decent session Northern English ale on tap now from leftovers.

aceluby

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just did this and made a super fruity IPA with my leftover hops, then with the dredges of my grain made a German Pilsner. Both are currently bottle conditioning so I’ll see how they turned out when I bring them to a 4th of July party in a couple weeks