Anyone like using beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit... The original post was a question about splitting a subscription since it covered two machine installs which explains my original response. No harm done. Likely a misunderstanding like two installs was equal to a BYO BOGO offer. It's two installs for a single user.

Last edited:
I dont follow. I guess the Original post was edited?

Yes. Beersmith is worth the money. You can dial in your process easily and hit your numbers everytime.

I dont follow. I guess the Original post was edited?
Yep... thread title and original question have been changed.
I recently spent $34.95 on the one time basic subscription for BeerSmith3 and wish I had done it a long time ago. Once you have your equipment profile dialed in, it’s easy to design recipes or modify others to suit your own needs.

I have been using it for about a month and it is great compared to Brewersfriend. Again money well spent.

Been a year or so now, idk why i waited 3 years to purchase it, takes a second to match the system down but once you do it's cake walk!!

Yup. If I was looking to save money brewing I'd cheap out of lots of other things before cancelling Beersmith.

I have both. I find beersmith to be more full featured than brewer's friend but much more cumbersome to use. I also have had consistent issues with cloud storage. Since I work recipes at work during lunch but brew at home this has stopped me from ever using it on an actual brew day.

I've been very happy with brewer's friend and brun' water and the results have been spectacular. Even though I have the full version of beersmith 3.0, I don't use it.

I have both. I find beersmith to be more full featured than brewer's friend but much more cumbersome to use. I also have had consistent issues with cloud storage. Since I work recipes at work during lunch but brew at home this has stopped me from ever using it on an actual brew day.

I've been very happy with brewer's friend and brun' water and the results have been spectacular. Even though I have the full version of beersmith 3.0, I don't use it.
I don't understand that. My BS v3 allows me to use it on 2 computers.

Edit... The original post was a question about splitting a subscription since it covered two machine installs which explains my original response. No harm done. Likely a misunderstanding like two installs was equal to a BYO BOGO offer. It's two installs for a single user.

Thanks for your insight and feedback. I realized my ask was stupid and I have gone ahead and purchased Beersmith for my own personal use and do not intend to share it.

Looking forward to using it and making some great brews!

I started with the predecessor to BrewToad. It produced good beer but for me was too simplified. I then got Beersmith 2.0. It is a tool that you have to learn to use. I have everything set now and I can create a recipe in about 10 minutes. It has all the features that I need. I would not give it up unless I found something better and cheaper.

It's supposed to, but I've never gotten the cloud storage to work. I'm a software engineer so I'm far from computer illiterate.

I just got frustrated and said eff it.
The only problem I've had using the two computers is that it doubles the count of my recipes, so if I store a recipe to the cloud on one and then access on the other and make a change, it's now two recipes. Still I can live with that for now.

The only problem I've had using the two computers is that it doubles the count of my recipes, so if I store a recipe to the cloud on one and then access on the other and make a change, it's now two recipes. Still I can live with that for now.

I changed the "documents directory" to a folder on OneDrive, so I can work on recipes from two computers (home and office) and have access the same information.

To everyone that is using BeerSmith vs3:
Does it allow for metric measurements?
I don't seem to be able to find it in their descriptions and pages.
I don't want to start a free trial as I don't have all my equipment together yet. Currently I am just looking at the different options that are available

To everyone that is using BeerSmith vs3:
Does it allow for metric measurements?
I don't seem to be able to find it in their descriptions and pages.
I don't want to start a free trial as I don't have all my equipment together yet. Currently I am just looking at the different options that are available

Yes, you can use metric

BeerSmith is too complicated and not free.
I use BrewMate. It is enough, simple and free.

I'm still using BS 1.4 and am happy with it. Without knowing what BS 3 gives me. I don't know what I am missing ...... but there is nothing else I want in a program, that I know of.

It's supposed to, but I've never gotten the cloud storage to work. I'm a software engineer so I'm far from computer illiterate.

I just got frustrated and said eff it.

I have been using Beersmith since version 2. I have the Android version and have upgraded to the full version 3 and also have a subscription. Having both new versions, I can install the new version on 4 computers and can have over 100 receipes in the cloud, up from the 15 I use to. I like the extra space but working with only 15 cloud recipes was not that big a deal. I like the other persons idea of using one drive as the default store. That would let you simulate Beersmith's cloud for unlimited space without upgrading your license.

I have never had any problems connecting to the cloud from any of the versions. I use the cloud extensively and almost exclusively. I can look recipes up on my phone at the LHBS and on my PCs at home and work. They are accessible from all versions. Although, I do make sure to copy my recipes down locally, just in case or if I decide to drop back to the non-subscription version only (15 cloud recipes). I just have to remember which machine has which recipes, or as others have said, I have multiple copies. As long as you set up your account and password on any installs there should not be any problems. It even has the ability to use a proxy if necessary.

Once you have your profiles dialed in and have used it 5 or 6 times it is pretty easy and very useful. Most of the features are straight forward and well integrated. The new water tools are much improved in version 3. I do think that it is one of those pieces of software where 80% of the people will only use 20% of the functionality.

I manage an IT department and am pretty computer literate too, but I wouldn't consider it very difficult for a layman, as long as you set things up properly in options. I would give it another try.

I have it but don’t use it much any more , when I first started it was invaluable .

Now I use a notebook . I’ve got my water profiles in it , recipes , notes on various books I’ve read , brew day information . I’m just a little old fashioned I guess and I have a hard time using the software, I mostly use it to calculate color and Ibu .

I then take my findings from BeerSmith and put them in my book so I don’t have to have the electronics. Also if my phone dies I still have my brewing info.

Only thing I’ve ever used. Mine is version 2 something. I’ve never used the cloud. Works for me, even though I use my last batch notes and go from there. I stress over this stuff much less now.

I started with the predecessor to BrewToad. It produced good beer but for me was too simplified. I then got Beersmith 2.0. It is a tool that you have to learn to use. I have everything set now and I can create a recipe in about 10 minutes. It has all the features that I need. I would not give it up unless I found something better and cheaper.
I can develop a recipe in 10 minutes also, then I have a tendency to spend an hour picking it apart.

It’s overall pretty good at building recipes and nice to have an offline software I can just open right up. Only thing that’s not very good is the PH and water..these are pretty much worthless and seem to never get updated to be more user friendly.

I have been using it for the last three versions and it is great. I think it is a bargain for the cost of a case of beer considering all that it does.

I’ve used it for a few months now. It’s a big learning curve and you have to play with it for a few hours before you really get the hang of it. It’s invaluable to me now though.

I used Hopville, the precursor to Brewtoad, and then Brewtoad. Have 74 recipes on it and probably double that in brewlogs. When we got the notice that Brewtoad was closing down as of 1/2019, I downloaded the trial versions of both Brewsmith and Brewer's Friend. Tried them both and decided I liked Brewsmith best, so I bought a subscription. So far, so good.

I guess with over 30 replies, you're sold on BeerSmith. But I dislike it. I can understand it and am able to use it. But I definitely find it burdensome.

Too many options and inputs and categories to deal with - clutter, clutter, clutter. Reliance on brewhouse efficiency. Numerous data entry quirks that drive me nuts. Etc.

I like each of my recipes to focus on certain key variables, and I like the info to be at my fingertips on brew day. So years back I developed my own spreadsheet, which has evolved to a thing of beauty (if I say so myself). It's formatted to my liking, and it cherry-picks the data and formulae that I most value when assessing my recipes and process.

I also admit that I like to understand the math behind things, so I set a goal to learn the math of brewing by developing my own tools. I fully accept that's not for everyone.

I don't offer this to convince anyone, just to say that not everybody enjoys BeerSmith, despite its status as the de facto brewing software solution.

It’s overall pretty good at building recipes and nice to have an offline software I can just open right up. Only thing that’s not very good is the PH and water..these are pretty much worthless and seem to never get updated to be more user friendly.

I agree! I use Brunwater and like BS it can a little difficult to learn, but well worth it!

Back