Anyone know where to get some Riwaka hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiongrimm

Reaction score
I have contacted 3 homebrew supply shops in my area and NONE of them seem to know where to get their hands on some Riwaka hops! I've heard outstanding things about these hops and want desperately to use them. Anyone able to help me out here? I need a place that either sells them or delivers to Anaheim, CA, US.

Thank you both, it seems everywhere I contact says sorta the same thing:no delivery to US. Having worked with Riwaka before, do you know any hops that are in the same alpha range and flavor profile as them by chance?

From morebeer.

Parent Czech Saaz hops are always a good substitution in lieu of Riwaka hops.

You can try ordering from the craftbrewing link.

Riwaka are nothing like Saaz.

They are potent clean citrus, I would say close to centennial/cascade combo but cleaner without the earthy finish I always seem to get from centennial.

Riwaka/Citra combo is my favourite for AA/APA.

Thank you both, it seems everywhere I contact says sorta the same thing:no delivery to US. Having worked with Riwaka before, do you know any hops that are in the same alpha range and flavor profile as them by chance?

I would go for Motueka, which I think is a gorgeous hops. By no means is it as powerful, dank, deep and overwhelming as an american, citrusy 10-12% AA hop, but it's complex and delicate.

You could also try Summer, Pacifica, Wakatu and Wai-Iti ( I will soon be using Wai-Iti for a summer smash IPA - low AA, but high oil content ).

Motueka and Wa-iti are both nice hops but nothing like Riwaka. The rest are pretty meh.

Riwaka is popular because it is unique and well worth trying to find.

I have purchased from several sources but most recently BrewShop.co.nz. I am in Australia so had them shipped here and they arrived well packaged. They do advertise shipping to the US but are out of stock at the moment. If you asked them though I would expect them to be getting more in soon.

Other places currently stocking them here in AUS at the moment, but I dont know if they ship to the US are
Craftbrewer in Queenland
National Home Brew in Queensland
BeerCo in Victoria

I was talking to the local brewery about this. Apparently the breweries and homebrew shops have to commit to contracts on their hops. Is they have to commit to 12 months of hops up front. Then New Zealand had a fairly average hop season this year and there isn't enough riwaka to go around. All the breweries and homebrew shops with a contract get it, everyone else, bad luck. This brewery is brand new and has to estimate their sales volumes for a year in advance. If they get it wrong, not gonna be many IPAs happening at the end of the year.

I did a Google search for home brew supplies in Australia and the very first supplier I clicked on has Riwaka hops. $9 for 100g. Those are AU dollars, so that would be $6.83 USD.
https://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/hops/other-hops-riwaka-nz-100g
Their website doesn't say anything about international shipments, so I sent an email, haven't heard back yet.
I suppose there's got to be someone in AUS/NZ that would ship some hops to the US.
Thanks for posting, never heard of these hops, will give them a try if I can get some.
Update 6/15: The shop mentioned above emailed me back and said they ship to the USA often, but that shipping costs can be quite high. I'm sure there are others, so shop around.

I suppose there's got to be someone in AUS/NZ that would ship some hops to the US.
I live in New Zealand and would be happy to send some Riwaka to the USA at cost so long as customs are cool with the idea. I'd imagine the dogs would go a touch crazy at the lovely dank piney citrusy aromas coming out of the parcel.

I'd be surprised if they would accept something like hops but if you want to do the research to find out I'm happy to send from this end.

Postage cost would be in the realms of NZD$23 (USD$16) for a pound of hops, maybe a bit more depending how much packing is needed. The postage isn't a lot less for less than a pound.

I'm not a homebrew shop or anything, just a guy who buys stuff from shops that sell Riwaka.

Brew on.

I live in New Zealand and would be happy to send some Riwaka to the USA at cost so long as customs are cool with the idea. I'd imagine the dogs would go a touch crazy at the lovely dank piney citrusy aromas coming out of the parcel.

Hey Thanks, that's a great offer. I would think it would be best to ship the commercially sealed foil pouches of hops that don't have much smell.

I did a Google search for home brew supplies in Australia and the very first supplier I clicked on has Riwaka hops. $9 for 100g. Those are AU dollars, so that would be $6.83 USD.
https://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/hops/other-hops-riwaka-nz-100g
Their website doesn't say anything about international shipments, so I sent an email, haven't heard back yet.
Thanks for posting, never heard of these hops, will give them a try if I can get some.
Update 6/15: The shop mentioned above emailed me back and said they ship to the USA often, but that shipping costs can be quite high. I'm sure there are others, so shop around.

Fantastic thank you, I'll definitely check them out. And post your results if you do, I would love to see what anyone else's experiences are with them.

Just tapped my all Riwaka Pale. Ordered 1kg from AUS along with some Enigma as YVH told me a few months ago they wouldn’t be getting any Enigma. Wow this hops throws those crazy machine oil notes just like Nelson. I’ve used almost all the NZ varieties and I only get that note from these two varieties. It’s incredibly strong. Does anyone know if that that varies from year to year? Select producers? The good Riwaka/Nelson doesn’t have it but the schwag we homebrewers get has it regardless. Love the Hop other than the machineoil/diesel notes.

Latest posts

Back