anyone know of a table of malt characteristics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergrump

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading through Mallette's Malt book and I was intrigued by the Weyermann Malt Aroma Wheel and the Murray Malt Flavour Characteristics described on page 127. I would like to create a spreadsheet that would supplement recipe calculators and show a (approximate, theoretical) visual representation of the malt flavors for the grain bill that is entered. The spreadsheet would display a spider web graph similar to the Aroma Wheel in Mallette's book (p127) but it would be an aggregate (weighted average) of the malts in your recipe. A similar calculator for hops will come next.

Is anyone aware of a table or database that would have the 0-5 ratings for each flavor or aroma characteristics described by Weyermann or Murray, or something similar? I have a poster on my wall that describes hops in a similar way but I haven't found anything for malt.

If it doesn't exist, would anyone be willing to help me crowd-source this info by filling out a survey monkey? I would be very happy to publish the results as well as the spreadsheet tool I'm building once it's complete. Does HBT have a survey function to help crowd source this data?

here's an example of the graph I'd like to be able to build for a chosen malt bill
malt-flavor-spiderweb-64676.jpg

Not to resurrect an old thread, but seeing as how nobody ever replied to you AND I'm trying to be more active here...

I was also searching for such a chart this morning. I found one from Briess (from 2015) that is a listed-out chart of grains, check page 2. And I also found a Briess document for their Rye that's essentially what you're looking for. I hope these help!

Edit: Weyermann also makes a chart for each grain, but I don't find them as easy to read.

Attachments

• Briess_PISB_RyeMalt.pdf
    168.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Briess_TypicalAnalysis_Malts-2015.pdf
    497.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Munich Malt_Whole Kernel.jpg
    Munich Malt_Whole Kernel.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17
Back