Anyone know German??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperpots_Brewing

Reaction score
Have inherited these beer stines, hitch have German writing on them, and I have no clue what they say! Google searches are coming up with nothing either. Can anyone translate?

image-201910242.jpg

image-913275996.jpg

That's the literal translation, but I think it implies that wisdom or sense can be found near or through Ruen (a place?).

I agree, In the photo it is hard to see enough of the scene to get a better idea of what it might be depicting.

definitely, the second is just part of the first lines, a continuation of sorts.
"durch die Walden, durch die Ruen, zog ich leichten Sinns dahin."

EDIT: michaeltrego is right on - it reads this way:

Durch die Wälder, durch die Auen, Zog ich leichten Sinns dahin.

The umlaut in "Wälder" makes a big difference, as does the spelling of "Auen" vs "Ruen."

So, my best guess of the actual meaning vs literal translation is:

Through the woods, through the meadows, I saw the light.

Interesting. One of the school bands played a song from Der Freischütz last week.

EDIT: It may have been the Grand Rapids Symphony playing at Big rapids High School where I heard it...

Here's some more photos of the scene. It has a guy riding what looks like a hog or boar backwards holding on for dear life.

image-113483326.jpg

image-194659725.jpg

image-2963433021.jpg

sorry, it's difficult taking pictures that catch all the detail.

I think that's actually an A, so it's Auen, not Ruen.

"Through the woods, the meadows, I pulled slight sense then." is what Google spits out.

More contextually, I'd say:

"Through the woods, through the meadows, I moved lightly there.

Even better - I just looked up the opera's lyrics, and there is a word missing from the stein:

Durch di Wälder, durch die Auen, Zog ich leichten Muts dahin.

Translated best I can:

Through the woods, through the meadows, I went with a bit of courage.

Looks like we got that one figured out. Is the other stein in back the same?

I originally thought the printing was on 2 steins, not all on 1. Guess I was focused on the wording not the background.

Yuri_Rage said:
Even better - I just looked up the opera's lyrics, and there is a word missing from the stein:

Durch di Wälder, durch die Auen, Zog ich leichten Muts dahin.

Translated best I can:

Through the woods, through the meadows, I went with a bit of courage.

Thanks, Yuri! And everyone else! I knew someone in this forum could figure it out! I owe you all a beer!

I don't really have any intent on doing so, but if I were to try to sell these, anyone have a clue as to what they're with? One has a carving in the bottom that says: 700 1/2 and the other says 350 1/2.
To my knowledge, they are legit steins brought back from germany some time ago. Neither have actual dates anywhere on them.

I don't really have any intent on doing so, but if I were to try to sell these, anyone have a clue as to what they're with? One has a carving in the bottom that says: 700 1/2 and the other says 350 1/2.
To my knowledge, they are legit steins brought back from germany some time ago. Neither have actual dates anywhere on them.

I have only seen one reference to that stein being sold on ebay for $11

Is the second stein the river Rhine and showing the castles along the Rhine on it?

Hi, taking pot luck if anyone still follows this thread. I just bought the same beer stein the other day (with the phrase "durch die Walden, durch die Ruen, zog ich leichten Sinns dahin.")

Mine also has 'orig king 2' on the base, so I assume, made by King (A German stein maker from wayback) Wold be cool to find out more about it, age etc. Paid $35 Aus. for it. Cheers, Lawry..ps christened it with a nice dark chocolaty stout!

I always thought it's be cool to go to Upper Bavaria where my family is from & find some steins that might be for/from them. Grampa Kreoger seems to have been a wealthy man or warlord or other. He got the German government of the day to deed what amounts to 3 counties of land to his sons in WV,where a mountain with our surname on it still is. So in light of that,they'd be a precious find. I do have two glass steins from Germany with the bavarian crest on the side in pewter. The lids have hop bines going around them. I think I have pics in my gallery.

Hi, taking pot luck if anyone still follows this thread. I just bought the same beer stein the other day (with the phrase "durch die Walden, durch die Ruen, zog ich leichten Sinns dahin.")

Mine also has 'orig king 2' on the base, so I assume, made by King (A German stein maker from wayback) Wold be cool to find out more about it, age etc. Paid $35 Aus. for it. Cheers, Lawry..ps christened it with a nice dark chocolaty stout!

I'll have a go, given practically no German and only the help of Google Translate:

GT says: "By Walden, by Ruhen, pulled a slight sense then." .....of which (sense) this translation has little.

My guess, pulled right out of the bottom of a pint mug: "By the forest, by the (Rhine?) I received my taste."

Rhine, of course, is "Rhein" in Deutsch, so I don't know about that word. May be "Rufen," a misspelling of the German for "calling."

In this case Auen is correct. It is refering specifically to the area near a river.
A pretty good translation (confirmed by my German friend) is:
"I walked light-heartedly (and without worry) through the woods and river meadows."

In this case Auen is correct. It is refering specifically to the area near a river.
A pretty good translation (confirmed by my German friend) is:
"I walked light-heartedly (and without worry) through the woods and river meadows."

Yup...that reads somewhat sensibly! BUT.....should the German saying on a stein have any relevance o the picture..in this case some (most likely beer soaked) random dude riding the back of a wild boar pulling its tail!
Any clues how I could go about authenticating this one, its age, etc.?
Cheers folks. Lawry

Already translated, but I picked this one up last Friday for a buck.

image-687459136.jpg

Attachments

• image-2686482919.jpg
    image-2686482919.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 148
  • image-708249144.jpg
    image-708249144.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 107
Hackwood..nice pick up!! I'll have to keep searching for a few more I think. This could become adictive!!

Yeah, I thought it was cool for a buck. My dad collects them, so he'll get it next time I run into him.

Back