Anyone in Orlando who kegs - A little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnets99

Reaction score
I just ordered my kegerator conversion kit (anxiously awaiting the UPS guy) and I need to find out if there's a good place in the Orlando area to get the CO2 tank filled. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Because you live in Orlando have you tried HeartsHomebrew? I'm sure that the owner can direct you to a place that fills bottles locally. Give them a call, or look online for heartshomebrew.com.

I live in O-town (sadly, but thats another story)

First of all. DONT goto hearts if you can help it. See this thread regarding them

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16075

It depends on where in town you live but basically you have two options for a 5 pounder which I'm assuming you have. If you have 10 or larger (I have 20# so I know) you will only have option 2 (so far as I know)

1) You can take it to several liquor stores around the UCF area (Pat's Liquor and Shamrocks Liquor for sure) and they will "swap"you tank out for one of their pre-filled 5 pounders. Cost about $17

2) You can take it to a welding shop (like stated above) and have them either swap tanks (which they do on spot) or have them fill you tank (which you can pick up the next day). The one I normally goto to swap mine to is at 2601 S Division Ave. It used to be called Halox but now its a green sign and I forget the name. But you will drive up and see hundreds of tanks outside.

Anyhow where do you live? Its nice to see another Homebrewer in orlando. Lets his up the good pub (notice I only say pub because most of them suck except for Red Light in Winter Park) sometime

gonzoflick said:

First of all. DONT goto hearts if you can help it. See this thread regarding them

It depends on where in town you live but basically you have two options for a 5 pounder which I'm assuming you have. If you have 10 or larger (I have 20# so I know) you will only have option 2 (so far as I know)

1) You can take it to several liquor stores around the UCF area (Pat's Liquor and Shamrocks Liquor for sure) and they will "swap"you tank out for one of their pre-filled 5 pounders. Cost about $17

2) You can take it to a welding shop (like stated above) and have them either swap tanks (which they do on spot) or have them fill you tank (which you can pick up the next day). The one I normally goto to swap mine to is at 2601 S Division Ave. It used to be called Halox but now its a green sign and I forget the name. But you will drive up and see hundreds of tanks outside.

Anyhow where do you live? Its nice to see another Homebrewer in orlando. Lets his up the good pub (notice I only say pub because most of them suck except for Red Light in Winter Park) sometime

Usually, the only thing I got to Hearts for is my yeast. I get most of my other stuff from AHS but I just don't feel comfortable shipping yeast in this heat!! Occasionally, I'll pick up an extra hose or something, but I looked at their hops the first time I was there and noticed they were packaged in zip-loc bags so that kind of turned me off to getting any ingredients items from them other than yeast.

I've looked around for welding shops, but I'm new to the area. I've only been down here for a year, 8 months of which I spent deployed with the military, so I'm still having trouble knowing what's where (I have a 5 year old, so I can make to Disney blidnfolded, but that's about it). I'll check out the one on Division and maybe head down to the UCF area to see what's what.

I'm in the Ocoee/Windermere area. Drop me a line and let me know where the good places for a good pint are and we'll have to down a few and maybe swap some homebrews!:mug:

I wanted to chime in here because I also live in Orlando. Thank you for the advise on the CO2 tanks I am going start kegging in the next few months and will need a place to get refills.

I have never had an experience like that at Hearts. However they don't try and make it a pleasant shopping experience. Similar to buying soup from the Soup Nazi. I am with gnets I try and get only yeast & grain there. (The grain mainly because I don't have a crusher... yet). I have been trying to buy my hops online in larger quantities. Hard to do because being a noob I haven't quite settled on recipes.

I actually get the majority of my grains from AHS. I just made the jump into AG and I like the fact that you can have the grains all packaged together. That way I can just dump them all into the mash at once. Not really a big time saver, but when you're dealing with a big grain bill, it's nice not to have to dump a bunch of separate bags into the MLT and they actually come mixed up pretty good so all I have to worry about is making sure they all get wet!! Also, AHS is close enough that UPS gets the stuff here in a few days. As long as I order on Mon or Tues, I have everything here in time for my brew sessions, which typically happen on Fridays. :rockin:

Chris - Where are you planning on getting your keg setup from? I just bought mine online from www.kegkits.com Got a really good deal on a two-keg conversion kit for my beer fridge. I searched pretty extensively, and they seem to have the best prices around. It's taken a few days for the stuff to ship, but I sent a couple of e-mails to check the status and they've replied within a hour to each e-mail. Plus, shipping on the whole deal was less than $20:ban:

gonzoflick said:

Jeez! Wow! That was quite the thread on Hearts. However I did not see it and if I had I would have been more cautious on getting my supplies from them. But to say that I have gotten terrible customer service from them is not true. I have really never had a problem with the owner(s) there. I was told one time when I came to pick an order up that they are mostly an online retailer, and that he didn't have time to answer questions. I just took that with a grain of salt anyway. Personally it's their business and they can run it anyway they want to. But I do agree on giving great customer service. I believe that maybe the guy is burnt out on doing his job/business. Or maybe he's just an EAC and doesn't want to be bothered with people and questions. Either way it's not good for business or any business. It's kinda sad to know that when you treat people badly and don't care about the effects that it will cause your business. I wish that there was another HBS locally. I'm pretty sure that if there was one centrally located and had great customer service it would put a strain on Hearts. Sorry to say I'll probably continue using them for getting my grains in bulk and for yeast. I have been giving AHS and morebeer a good look. Whatever is quicker and cheaper!

Cheers to all Florida Homebrewers! :mug:

I've never recieved the best service from them, either. Always seem like they really don't want to be there. Like everyone else, I wish there was another place around here for supplies. I had actually thought about calling them about the CO2 cylinder fills, but then based on the service I've gotten there, I figured I'd have better luck here!!!
It's kind of sad, really. I moved down here from Michigan and there were several LHBS's to choose from and every time I went to one, the owner's/worker's were more than happy to answer questions or even just 'chew the fat' so to speak. Heck, we even had a micro-brewery near my house the owners and brewmasters would critique your recipes and/or brews if you asked them to!!!! :rockin:
May have to start a grass roots movement to overhaul the CFL homebrewing community!!!

Back