Anyone in AZ put a fermenting chamber in their garage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colhep67

Reaction score
I just got a new fridge and want to put the old one in the garage as a fermenting chamber.
All I can find are results about freezing temperatures being bad on a fridge and since I'm in AZ we don't get those often. I'm more curious about our hot summers.

The fridge still works great, we replaced it due to the terrible water/ice system in it.

Any feedback would be great!

Since it is not likely to freeze in the garage. Your fridge will work exactly the same as it did in the house. Since there won't be constant opening and closing, it may cost less to have it in the garage.

Do you think the 100 plus temps in the garage will mess the compressor up? I will be using a Johnson digital temp controller set around 64 degrees with +/- 2 degrees

Do you think the 100 plus temps in the garage will mess the compressor up? I will be using a Johnson digital temp controller set around 64 degrees with +/- 2 degrees

I sure hope not. I have my beer fridge in the garage.
I have a small closet in the garage. I stuffed a small a/c unit thru the wall and keep that closet a cool 65˚ all the time. I do my fermentations in there and store most of the stuff thats bottle conditioning. The a/c unit vents into the garage so it gets pretty warm in there.

Lots of Phoenix area home brewers have fridges or freezers in their garages. You do have to watch for excessive condensation and some ice build up during summer if you are using it as a keezer, but my freezers have been going strong for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice thanks for the replies! I told the wife I was going to put it in my man cave and she was not having it (my man cave is the front room haha) so this makes me feel way more comfortable with the garage

Chest freezer in my garage (Tucson) - dual use as keezer and fermentation chamber - been going for 18 months, so two summers, no problems. Serving temps 40°, lager primary fermentation usually 50°, ale fermentation 60-70°. Have a temp controller running two outlets - one outlet is always on - so usually running the fridge or a 12V computer fan for circ., but also have a cubicle heater I can swap with the fan for the cool season.

Back