Anyone here use FrogLube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
Just like the title says, does anyone here use FrogLube to lube for their boom boom sticks? If so what is your overall experience? Finally, what is your typical cleaning regimen (after the initial 'seasoning')?

I was given a few sample tubes of Frog Lube at an IDPA competition a few years ago. I've since used it on my AR-15, Glock 19, AK-47, and my boss' AR-15, until I ran out. None of them exploded.

I never bought any. I'm sure it's fine stuff. It's just lube. I'm not going to overthink it.

My cleaning regimen, when I actually remember to do it, involves spraying everything down with carburetor cleaner to degrease/remove carbon buildup, followed by coating all internal and external metal surfaces with a thin layer of oil, and appying just a little bit of grease in strategic places (major contact points, slide rails, cams, etc).

Seasoning is for steaks. I've never bothered to season a firearm.

I like it. I shoot mostly glocks, and they feel like the slide is on ball bearings. My AR-15 seems to like it also. I would make sure you don't get the paste to thick near firing pins and extractors. Other than that I've seen guys put a whole mess of the paste in a crock pot and give barrels, slides, and receiver a frog lube spa treatment. Seems to work good, and smells a hell of a lot better then hoppes.

I was given a few sample tubes of Frog Lube at an IDPA competition a few years ago. I've since used it on my AR-15, Glock 19, AK-47, and my boss' AR-15, until I ran out. None of them exploded.

I never bought any. I'm sure it's fine stuff. It's just lube. I'm not going to overthink it.

My cleaning regimen, when I actually remember to do it, involves spraying everything down with carburetor cleaner to degrease/remove carbon buildup, followed by coating all internal and external metal surfaces with a thin layer of oil, and appying just a little bit of grease in strategic places (major contact points, slide rails, cams, etc).

Seasoning is for steaks. I've never bothered to season a firearm.

Overthinking it is half the fun! Probably why I'm a home brewer too

I like it. I shoot mostly glocks, and they feel like the slide is on ball bearings. My AR-15 seems to like it also. I would make sure you don't get the paste to thick near firing pins and extractors. Other than that I've seen guys put a whole mess of the paste in a crock pot and give barrels, slides, and receiver a frog lube spa treatment. Seems to work good, and smells a hell of a lot better then hoppes.

So what's your maintenance routine on those glock? Do you just hit the lube points per the manual and done? Or do you heat it up and wipe the whole thing down per the FL instructions?

I heated up and "seasoned" anything that was metal. I don't really think of froglube as lube, more of a coating on the metal of the gun. Then I use a really tiny amount on the metal slide tabs that are embedded in the plastic frame. I did the same thing on the ar15. I broke the bcg down and coated all the individual parts and then wiped them down per the instructions. Froglube makes a cleaner to. It's a citrus type cleaner stuff.

Could probably use this stuff as keg lube if it didn't smell like skoal wintergreen. Now that I think about I have some friends who would probably like that...

I think its pretty good stuff, and it lasts me awhile. Which reminds me, I have to clean my SR22 tomorrow. I used it on my Mossberg shotty as soon as I got home, and I have yet to fire it. Going turkey hunting tomorrow, wish me luck!

Great stuff. Use it my Glocks, Springfields, ARs, etc. The missus will let me clean my gear on the LR coffee table while I watch TV when I use FrogLube, as opposed to the more caustic, smelly, petroleum-based lubes.

I don't believe in over-cleaning. After the initial application (per manuf instructions, and just use a hair dryer to heat everything up and it melts in nicely), a few drops on a bore snake that gets pulled through a couple of times, plus a few drops on the wear points of the slide and barrel is good enough for the pistols, and a bit on the bolt carrier (again, mostly in the wear points), and I'm good to go. I rarely do the full tear down, unless something got dropped into loose dirt or other unusual circumstances.

Back