Anyone here raise chickens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting blog! I want chickens, but don't know if the SWMBO and dogs will let me. My dog's (Labrador and pitbull) like to chase and catch (simultaneously kill) ducks so.... Maybe when we move in a few years. Plan is to get 1-2 acres in S. Florida. Post that recipe for the spent grain bread. That looks amazing! I make fresh bread all the time and would love to use some fresh spent grains in it as well. Personally, never even thought of that.

From machinelf's wife:

We have a different bread machine recipe for spent gran bread we posted somewhere a while ago. It is good, but we like this one far better. This new recipe doesn't require a bread machine (or any kneading).

Two Rooks No Knead Spent Grain Bread

• 2.5 c bread flour
  • .5 c whole wheat flour (I prefer red wheat, but white wheat wold work, too)
  • .5 c spent grains
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp yeast (yes, it's very little yeast, but it's ideally a long rise time)
  • 1.5 c water

Mix all ingredients together and let rise in a warm place until doubled (5 hours or less if it's very warm!). If it takes the longer side it's a little better, I think. Time allows the yeast to impart a little character, and allows the gluten to firm up.

Once risen, spread some flour onto a countertop and dump the very sticky, shaggy dough on top. It's okay that's it's sticky--it should be! Spend about 30 seconds shaping the dough by folding until it's round. The outside will get a little less sticky as you fold it. No need to knead.

Allow the dough to rest about 15 minutes, then put it onto a tea towel spread with corn meal. I also like to top my loaf at this point by adding dried minced garlic, poppy seeds, sesame seeds or whatever you prefer. If you want to add a topping, spread it on the tea towel with the cornmeal before you put your dough on top to rise (the toppings stick to the bottom of the dough, which will be the top of the loaf once you put it in the pot to bake). Fold the tea towel over. Let the dough rise for two hours.

You bake this in a round dutch oven. I have enameled cast iron that works wonderfully. Preheat the oven and the pot to 400 - 425. When thoroughly heated, remove the pot from the oven, take off the lid and sprinkle a little cornmeal in the bottom. Then, put your hand under the dough on the tea towel and invert it into the hot dutch oven. The toppings will stick this way; they don't stick so well if you just try to sprinkle some on right before it goes in the oven. Replace the lid and place the pot into the preheated oven immediately.

Bake for 28 minutes covered, then 28 more minutes uncovered. Cool on a rack, if you can stand waiting!

Nice post by her. Gave away our layers when we moved to China. They were definite advocates of all grain brewing. Nothing like the delights of warm spent grain in the frosty winter to brighten their day. I feel so guilty having to toss my grains in the garbage here. My backyard and it's simple pleasures are the primary things I miss while living the big city Shanghai life.

Nice writeup and you have some fine easter eggers there!

I've given my chickens spent grain TWICE and I now get stampeded by them every time I walk into their pasture..

Thanks! We have Easter Eggers and real Wheaten Ameraucanas, too--beautiful green or blue eggs for the EEs, and blue only for the Wheatens.

The hen pictured eating the spent grains is a Speckled Sussex. Our baby chick "brew buddy" is a Salmon Faverolles.

We also have some dark chocolate egg layers like Marans and Welsummers. All together, they make for a very pretty carton of eggs!

Wow, Llysse was over there for a few months--years ago, teaching English. Not sure if she made it to Shanghai though. Too bad you had to give up the girls, but I'm sure you're having some cool adventures. :)

Nice post by her. Gave away our layers when we moved to China. They were definite advocates of all grain brewing. Nothing like the delights of warm spent grain in the frosty winter to brighten their day. I feel so guilty having to toss my grains in the garbage here. My backyard and it's simple pleasures are the primary things I miss while living the big city Shanghai life.

Lol, yeah, we give out treats almost daily and they always come running when we come outside for any reason. Cracks me up--especially when one falls behind and is forced to use her wings to try and compensate.

Nice writeup and you have some fine easter eggers there!

I've given my chickens spent grain TWICE and I now get stampeded by them every time I walk into their pasture..

Thanks! We have Easter Eggers and real Wheaten Ameraucanas, too--beautiful green or blue eggs for the EEs, and blue only for the Wheatens.

The hen pictured eating the spent grains is a Speckled Sussex. Our baby chick "brew buddy" is a Salmon Faverolles.

We also have some dark chocolate egg layers like Marans and Welsummers. All together, they make for a very pretty carton of eggs!

Really nice set of hens there.. Mind posting pics? I only have a bunch of Barred Rocks

You can see a few pictures in this other blog post (unrelated to beer):

http://blog.mypetchicken.com/2012/02/27/older-hens-kenny-rogers-and-long-term-flock-management/

Since you do keep chickens, you should enter the contest to win a copy of The Chicken Encyclopedia. Just post a comment on the "Best Chicken Breed to choose for the Zombie Apocalypse" post to enter. The contest ends next Saturday.

I'll see if I can post a couple pictures here, later. I think I let my online Flickr account lapse, so I may need Machinelf to help me.

Back