Anyone heard of KAY-5 sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southwood

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recieved a couple of kegs off eBay and they came with a pack of KAY-5 Sanitizer. It's described as a "chlorinating sanitizer for shake machines, soft serve machines, and kitchen utensils."

I understand that chlorine bleach will pit stainless, but what about a "chlorinating sanitizer"? Should I really be using this stuff on my used kegs?

As always, any input is much appreciated.

Cheers! :mug:

Reviving this thread... I'm curious about this product too, as my lady can get a lot of this stuff from her work for me to use... :confused:

Southwood, perhaps we got the kegs from the same person on E-bay? 20$ a keg for 4 kegs, shipped to my door wasn't a bad price at all...

This is what kegkits.com says about it. I have never used it.

Kay-5 is a powdered, chlorinated sanitizer originally developed for shake machines, soft serve machines and utensils. Each one ounce packet is pre-measured to mix with 2.5 gallons of water.

Most people who sanitize with chlorine over-mix, creating a highly concentrated sanitizer solution & increasing the risk of chlorine contamination in their beer. If you prefer to use chlorine as your sanitizer then KAY-5 will take the guesswork and the mess out of your sanitation routine. Just mix 1 pack per 2.5 gallons or 2 packs per 5 gallons of cold water for a perfect 100 ppm solution.

This is an oldie but goodie.

I just called Kay-5, and for what it's worth, the dude on the other end of the line said that prolonged exposure to stainless steel is not recommended....he emphasized prolonged.

Back