Tried performing a closed loop transfer between my fermentation keg and a sanitized serving keg but couldn't get it to work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docod44

Reaction score
Hi all, I came across this video () and since I typically ferment in cornies, I decided to try a closed loop transfer into a sanitized serving keg when my next brew was ready. I was ready to transfer a completed beer two nights ago and I set everything up exactly as described in the video. When I started to release the PRV on the empty keg to get the flow started, nothing happened. I ended up removing the gas jumper cable and using my CO2 tank at 4-5 psi (and a spunding valve on the empty keg) to just push the beer from the fermentation keg to the serving keg. I feel this is a waste of CO2 though and I really want to get this closed transfer method to work. Any ideas or thoughts on how to do this differently?

I would do one thing different than what that video does. I would hook up only the liquid lines to the kegs, burp the bottom keg (to start the liquid flowing) and then connect the gas lines of the kegs. If you have the gas lines connected when you burb, you're releasing the pressure from both kegs and the pressure in top keg is just going through the gas line out the bottom keg, so there is no pressure up top to start the transfer/syphon. Hopefully that makes sense.

I would do one thing different than what that video does. I would hook up only the liquid lines to the kegs, burp the bottom keg (to start the liquid flowing) and then connect the gas lines of the kegs. If you have the gas lines connected when you burb, you're releasing the pressure from both kegs and the pressure in top keg is just going through the gas line out the bottom keg, so there is no pressure up top to start the transfer/syphon. Hopefully that makes sense.
This makes perfect sense, thank you. I'll try this next time!

Back