Anyone have Pics of float switch used in HLTs? Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kydan47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Am wanting to automate variable HLT filling but would prefer not drilling more holes in 55 gal electric HLT? A float switch using a 12vdc wall plug, a solenoid valve and a float bypass switch sounds like the way to go, but wondering how best to set up. Anyone have pics of their's?

I don't understand why you wouldn't just use weight. I don't think I've ever seen a thread on measuring wort volume by weight. I've seen floats before, level sensors (which may just be floats I guess), pressure sensors. What am I missing?

Don't know if we're talking about the same thing? How do you measure the weight of 50 gallons of water? I'm wanting to cut off the flow of water coming into the HLT at a desired level for a particular brew size. I've already cut 4 element holes, a sight glass fitting, 2 ball valves, a sensor, and a patch. Trying to avoid any more holes.

I found a few postings using a float switch, one which was attached to a sparge arm. Thinking there must be others.

You'd use load cells or even hack a scale. I'm not sure you'd even need to adjust the weight per gallon for temperature.

$_35.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181879...7290-0%26rvr_id%3D1120688564107&ul_noapp=true

What about this?

You could make a "U" by bending tube or with pipe fittings. It would hang over the side of your pot. Use a long nipple to set the depth and elbow for the valve at the end. Wish I could find a better picture but this is the idea.

brutus%20001.jpg

I have the same one itsme posted. Works great but I got it to keep from over flowing my hlt.. sometimes I have a few too many and forget I turned the water on. No reason not to fill the hlt all the way up whatever you don't use brewing makes great cleaning water..

Thanks, something I've considered. Thinking about bridging the top of the drum with an aluminum angle (cut to fit the edges) from which a slotted/or holey aluminum bar is attached and inserting a similar float valve assembly set to a particular amount eg. 20 gal, 40 gal, etc.

I have the same one itsme posted. Works great but I got it to keep from over flowing my hlt.. sometimes I have a few too many and forget I turned the water on. No reason not to fill the hlt all the way up whatever you don't use brewing makes great cleaning water..
I saw the arm with the attached float switch - looked good just looking for different mounting, or a method that works as well, etc.

I have recently starting using less water for strike and am able to refill the tank with water from chilling out of the plate chiller. 20 gallons or so but also helps to keep me running a drain hose across my garage to the sink.

You'd use load cells or even hack a scale. I'm not sure you'd even need to adjust the weight per gallon for temperature.

That's the beauty of measuring by weight -- a pound of water is a pound of water at any temperature.

Of course density varies with temp but that doesn't mean it really matters. When you have graduations, whether etched into the sidewall, stickers on a level gauge or lines on a story board, you aren't accounting for a change based on temperature and those all work great.

Everything is really based on your final volume which is at, let's say, 70 deg in the fermenter. Think of it this way, you don't really care if you sparge with 2 gal or 2.1 gal. What you care about is getting 5 gal into your fermenter. Run your process once and you'll know what you need next time to correct your assumptions. In the meantime you've simplified your model.

Oh. And your beer is fantastic which is really all that matters.

Back