anyone have a good corona clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, using the simple Munton's or Coopers Mexican Cerveza Kits along with WLP940 which is just released, you can make a damn close clone.

So look at this crap this thread keeps being added to, even though the OP has not signed on in ages! Let keep helping this poor basterd out.

Make sure you use more distilled water than spring water to get a real clean profile. Let us know how this beer came out! I wanna know now! How close did this Corona Beer taste to the real thing.

*****hope he signs in by next year and answers me :(*******

Halarious this thread has 9,907 views with its original year in 2006. How could I not "click on it".

Relax rycov I know your tryin to declare your dominance over the internet I couldnt picture anything more worthwhile. :mug:

Just cause the OP is gone does not mean this thread isn't helping people. A buddy of mine, who happens to be mexican, asked me if I could brew a mexican style beer. I told him I dont know but let me see. Searching for, and finding this thread has been helpful.

my question, somewhat unrelated to making this beer, is why the hell did mexico ever start making lagers with as hot as it is there? Seems to me that drinking preferences are highly influenced by climate & what was practical to make given an areas climate prior to glorious refrigeration. Or are corona, tecate, dos equis, etc not actually lagers?

relax, have a home brew.

Yes I am keeping this thread going. I happen to like Corona! Gotta say the Munton's Mexican Cerveza kit with an upgrade to the yeast to WhiteLabs Mexican Lager yeast and a little indirect sunlight in the secondary makes for a near perfect clone actually I like it better than Corona or Sōl.

my question, somewhat unrelated to making this beer, is why the hell did mexico ever start making lagers with as hot as it is there? Seems to me that drinking preferences are highly influenced by climate & what was practical to make given an areas climate prior to glorious refrigeration. Or are corona, tecate, dos equis, etc not actually lagers?

I believe it was due to an influx of German brewers...

ellicit said:
Yes I am keeping this thread going. I happen to like Corona! Gotta say the Munton's Mexican Cerveza kit with an upgrade to the yeast to WhiteLabs Mexican Lager yeast and a little indirect sunlight in the secondary makes for a near perfect clone actually I like it better than Corona or Sōl.

What is your fermentation temp on that? This sounds like its right up my alley. id like to keep things as simple as possible, no need to over complicate a beer like this. I could see it being a great summer beer for out in the yard.....

relax, have a home brew.

I know there was a great deal of fun had at the expense of the original poster and Corona, but I am glad this thread was here. It helped me out. I have found that making lagers, particularly light lagers, is much harder then ales/pale ales. The challenge makes it fun. My beer has more of a corn taste and the Pils malt flavor comes through more then I was expecting it to. The color is more cream then yellow. I think that is from the corn. Perhaps if I had some sort of filter it might help? Overall, a good beer. Here is what I came up with:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WPL940 (Mexi Lager)
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 17
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 Days 50 Deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 days 60Deg
Additional Fermentation: Lager for 4 weeks 34 Drg

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Ingredients:
------------

4.5 lbs Pils Two Row
1 lb Two Row
1 lb Six Row
3.5 lbs Flaked Corn
.5 oz Tettnang [6.30%] (60 min) Hops
.5 oz Tettnang [6.30%] (15 min) Hops
.5 oz Czech Saaz [2.40%] (10 min) Hops
.5 oz Czech Saaz [2.40%] (5 min) Hops
Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940) (2qt starter made from 1 tube)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15qts of water 145.0 F 60 min
Sparge in 17qts of water 165.0 F 20 min

Primary fermentation: 11 days at 50 degrees
Diacetyl rest: 3 days at 60 degrees
Secondary/Lagering: 34 degrees for 4 weeks.

Zaxsan... pic of the beer in a glass? How's it taste?

PS. After YEARS, I still come back to this thread for the first response to OP for a chuckle. Hope you're still patting yourself on the back, because it never gets old!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the recipe for Corona to mix 1 can of Buttwiper, 1 can of Swiller, and 1 can of Soors and mix in 5 gals of water, add in 1 packet of dry yeast and ferment in full sunlight?:drunk:

had a good laugh at that.... got a buddy who pays $45 a 24 3 x a week for that crap.

I have been looking for something like this for a while, so thank you to those who actually contributed. For the beer snobs, lay off. We don't all want to drink an IPA that is so bitter we try to swallow our teeth. This is supposed to be a forum to support other homebrewing. For all you know you may have discouraged the OP from brewing, or worse contributing an amazing recipe he may have devised himself.

But again, thanks for the recipes.

Piss in a bucket and leave in the sun for 48 hours... Bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

pfgonzo - I just found this again and see you requested a photo! I will send it along later. I understand people do not like Corona, but from a homebrewers point of view it is a Premium American Lager (1C). It is listed right there with Heineken and Stella Artois as commercial examples in the 2008 BJCP style guide. Anyway, it was fun to brew. I am trying to brew every style in the guide, so I have knocked 1C off the list!

Piss in a bucket and leave in the sun for 48 hours... Bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't forget the lime!

Sorry, I couldn't help but post in this thread. I read through it and can't believe the amount of times it died and came back to life. It was a cool read.

Pics - I use irish moss in the boil and I am never really happy with my clarity. I am switching to whirlfloc tablets and will see if I have better results. Either way, I always enjoy this light beer and for people who are a little scared of homebrew it is a nice way to break them in!

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

Saddam, did you use any type of fining agents in that one? I have been using bentonite, and its been giving me crystal clear results.

Haha funny. I have the same affliction - and about 20 cases of empty Corona bottles that I'd like to fill with more buttwipeswillerpisswater ;) - Thanks for all the excellent responses and laughs. Guess I'll aim for the Pilsners.

Wow resurrected post, to answer a question from years ago, Miller products don't skunk because they brew with hop oil, not fresh hops eliminating the chemicals that cause it. That was started long long ago as a marketing tool to set them apart in the "Clear Bottle"

You guys are a bunch of ******** guy just wanted a corona recipe can't help it if you all like bong water beer

you are correct that drinking liquid yeast is better than drinking corona. sorry to hear about your wife's affliction.

That may be the single funniest thing I've heard all year. As odd as it sounds, while I am partial to lambics, rich browns, stouts, sours, etc, etc, there is something about a Corona and a squeeze of lime that keeps me coming back. Indescribable, I know.

That may be the single funniest thing I've heard all year. As odd as it sounds, while I am partial to lambics, rich browns, stouts, sours, etc, etc, there is something about a Corona and a squeeze of lime that keeps me coming back. Indescribable, I know.

You just laughed at a 10 year old joke :)

So did I ....

... I also really like a Corona on a hot day.

I have been inspired to brew a Corona clone now. No matter what the cost I will see it done!

P.S I love Corona with fresh picked limes!

-Altrez

I like Stouts and Porters, and Saisons and Sours, etc ... but when I go out in the blistering sun, I like a light cold as F&*K beer that's easily drinkable. I crush coronas like bottles of water and they are refreshing.

At the beach, on the boat, mowing the yard, just grabbing some tacos outdoors, picnic, etc ... Corona doesn't bother me, it's light and watery.

I don't want a stout when I am sitting on the beach or belgian quad when I am cutting the yard. Snob it up and put Corona down, but I believe it's got a place in the beer world.

Cheers - anyone have a lime?

Man, mega thread dredge. I don't get all the posts putting this dude down. If he wants to brew it, there's got to be a way. It might take hours of research and lots of tries to get it close, and it may not even be possible for him to do, but maybe he WANTS a challenge? Isn't that a big part of it for a lot of people? Brewing a recipe that's as close to a commercially available option as possible? Ultimately haven't we all attempted to do just that? That's the spirit of homebrewing if you ask me.

This thread is the equivalent of those click bait crap ads that show up all over. "You'll never believe what happens next!" Even mix between BMC jokes, BMC defenders, and actual responses to the question? Yep, I guessed it, and yet somehow I still clicked on the thread.

Man, mega thread dredge. I don't get all the posts putting this dude down. If he wants to brew it, there's got to be a way. It might take hours of research and lots of tries to get it close, and it may not even be possible for him to do, but maybe he WANTS a challenge? Isn't that a big part of it for a lot of people? Brewing a recipe that's as close to a commercially available option as possible? Ultimately haven't we all attempted to do just that? That's the spirit of homebrewing if you ask me.

Not sure I'd say copying commercial beers is the "spirit of home brewing". I think that's where most people start because they need a target but as time goes on and the true spirit of it develops you realize it's about making something BETTER than what you can get commercially. Craft breweries are usually started by home brewers who believed they had something better to bring to the table. Home brew comps aren't about making an exact clone but about perfecting the style. I have a Kolsch about ready to carb that is a clone (from the brewer) of a commercial beer. I suspect I'll only brew it once before tweaking to fit my tastes. I know I like the commercial version so it's a logical place to start the development of my own version,

I just did a search for a Mexican Cerveza clone and this thread popped up. After reading through the thread I'm realizing that this may not be a good choice for my first attempt at beer. (I have up to now only done wine and mead)

I also see that this thread has not been resurrected in almost two years, so here goes....bump.

If you go extract, I would simply use a Cooper or munton kit, with 100-200grams of pislen extract and 500-650grams of corn sugar and the sugar provided or another good clean yeast (a few are listed here) and brew it as a lager like. Do a 2-5 min boil tops to keep the colour light and you have a cheapo quick Corona clone.

If you are steeping I would also steep 150 grams of carapils for some head retention, and for some flavour you can always add a can of frozen limeade concentrate, (just sub out an equivalent of sugar).

I've done an ale with 3# of minute rice, 1# of carapils and enough 2 row to get to a little above 4% ABV hopped to about 20 IBU for a 10 gal batch. Used WLP001 and it was a really clean, crisp light gold beer. Have to use as much strike water as you can to keep the rice suspended, but believe me it converts. This was by far the most popular beer I did. Excellent party brew.

If I make this again, I will use WLP060. I just did a pale ale batch with that and I think it is cleaner.

Water....

Sorry, Had too [emoji23]

I have been toying with the idea of making a Mexican Ale...

A lot of good info in this thread

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back