anyone ever use a

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
Steam Juicer instead of racking onto fruit? Last time I racked onto fruit I had a problem with pulp in my cider which caused a few problems that I'd like to avoid.

I'm considering doing this with Sour (pie) cherries. Just curious if anyone had given this a whirl and how it turned out.

I had never heard of a steam juicer before, so out of curiosity I looked it up on Youtube. I watched a couple of different people using them and it really looks like a lot of work for the amount of juice it produces from the large amount of apples you have to put into it.

Is this a typical method? Cut up Apples...let it steam for an hour and collect juice...which seems to be only a few pints.

I would think this would work fine for a flavoring fruit...like the cherries you mentioned...but producing your apple juice for the whole batch seems like a 4-5 days worth of steaming.

Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: How does the taste differ from this method to using a regular Juice Man juicer or using a press? Is it a stronger flavor?

it's like the difference between a fresh apple and a baked apple. it comes out thick, syrupy, sweet and concentrated. not at all like fresh juice. not to suggest it isn't a good as fresh; it's delicious, just different. dunno about cherries, never had them through a steamer.

yeah, I won't do it with apples. It will set the pectin which is why the juice looks "syrupy". I put a sock of raspberries in a cyser I made last year for about 18 hours. I pulled them out and the brew had great flavor. Then I started noticing that all of the bottles had a huge chunk of raspberry pulp (or something) floating in it. It started to make the batch bitter and provided infinite sites of nucleation for the carbonation to grab onto. ie, over fizzy when opened.

Back