Anyone ever drink with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember yards and half-yards being popular late 80's early 90's in the St. Louis area. Did have the half yard, never went the yard tho...

LOL, it was just a lot of beer in a tall glass. :drunk:

Ize

for a novelty, they are actualy kind of cool. I have one or two half-yards packed away somewhere.

Yeah, I would think laws of gravity would be hell once you hit the ball part on the bottom.

Ive drank from one at ren fest. I heard they were originally used to hand ale up to nobles sitting on a raised platform during jousts and tournaments.

- magno

I have. I'd recommend that you wear old clothes and drink outside until you have the hang of it. They look great, but I'll take a pinch or a stein.

I have one of those without the wooden stand. It has a lanyard that velcros around the neck of the glass so you can hang it around your neck....I got it at a Packer party one year. It never gets used. :)

SwAMi didn't you drink a Kwak out of one of the half yards in B-more?

Dude said:

Yeah, it took me about 5 swigs before I realized I didn't have to take it out of the stand to take a drink. :rolleyes:

Then it took me about 2 more to realize that Kwak sucks. :D

I would think that the law of gravity would be a real b*tch once you get to the rounded bowl on the bottom....

Theres a chain bar/restaurant called the Yard House started out in CA that I think has them that size, 1/2 yard etc. Great place for a wide selection of beer. Supposedly more than "anyone".

Brewpastor. They got one in San Diego (or did you go already?). Good food too.

SwAMi75 said:
Yeah, it took me about 5 swigs before I realized I didn't have to take it out of the stand to take a drink. :rolleyes:
Then it took me about 2 more to realize that Kwak sucks. :D
OMG! LMAO:p
This was the best post I read all weekend.

They basically make three kinds of these drinking vessels like the yard.
The yard, the 1/2 yard, and the foot. Kwak's official vessel is a belgified foot glass, in the shape of a boot.

All these require a technique of spinning the vessel (while drinking) when you get to the bottom. This prevents the tidal wave of beer from splashing out.

Once upon a time in State College there was a sports bar called Champs that served these. You could even get a 100 yard card. You, know score a TD after you went a 100 yards. :drunk:

I had a half yard at the Yardhouse when I was in California visting my parents. They kind of suck when you have one with a meal because they want to topple over every time someone bumps the table. The best would be to just pick it up and not to put it down until complete.

The Yardhouse stopped carrying the full yards due to too many getting broken and it was harder to monitor consumption.

They have an insane beer cool and what's even more insane is all the gas lines and beer tubes that run through it. It looks like a damn nuclear reactor or some huge factory. There's a window that faces outside that you can peek through.

They have something like 250 beers on tap and 600 kegs in the cooler. Pretty impressive.

The food was good too.

Dude said:
I have one of those without the wooden stand. It has a lanyard that velcros around the neck of the glass so you can hang it around your neck....I got it at a Packer party one year. It never gets used. :)

Packer Party ?:confused: Not YOU, Dude !

Back