Anyone else have back problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I have had lower back issues for about 10 years now. I have arthritis in one disk and another that never formed correctly. I have constant pain and if I move just right (or wrong I guess) it feels like I was electrocuted. The muscles from hip to hip spasm and it drops me and then I can't stand straight. It happened to me this morning when I stepped into the shower. I had to go to the chiro and now I'm laying in bed on and ice pack taking vicodin every 4 hrs. It's great timing too, I start a 10 day vacation tomorrow. The doc tells me that I need to strengthen my core but I can't because any exercise that could help hurts too much to do. I can do upper body workouts without much pain but nothing for my core. It's really depressing being 42 and thinking that it's going to get worse the older I get. I'm bored to death laying here when it's so warm and sunny out. I may have to sneak out to the pool for a bit.

Yeah I have problems with my lower back, I can sneeze and throw it out. I think for me it's because I'm so tall, have had knee surgery twice in my life so have never trusted the "lift from your knees and not your back" idea.

The thing that helped me most were/are simple crunches to tighten my stomach muscles and then this back strengthening nautilus machine at the gym.

vintage_nautilus_1st_generation_lower_back_machine-like_new_300_houston_10983030.jpg

I never feel good enough to do crunches or back exercises. A huge part of my problem is sitting at a desk or in a car all day. I feel much better when I'm off from work for awhile and I'm walking around do stuff. I try to get out of the chair as much a possible but it's not enough.

The best remedy for my back is standing up brewing and drinking beer, oh and the pump in a box setup I made. Ya the same with my back, sitting down and driving messes up mine also.

I just did my fist brew on my new stand built to my height with a pump. It's so nice compaired to bending over and picking up buckets of water.

Have issues because of sitting in the car and working at a computer all day. Also recently got rear ended. Chiropractor helps but hate the 1.5 hours I lose weekly per session. He uses an electric muscle stimulation machine with a warm pad thingy then finishes with and adjustment. Doing stretching and strengthen exercises help alot. I hear traction treatment also help. Good luck.

There are crunches you can do while sitting at a desk or even while driving. Just tightening the stomach muscles and releasing. It may be a matter of working up to something more by starting like that. Basically starting out you just suck in the gut for a couple beats then repeat. Over time you can hold them longer. Or do it constantly for 10-20 minutes while you are working.

That will help work the core without taxing your back too much. And once you do that for awhile, it may be easier to step it up to other exercises.

I like that nautilus machine because basically you lean back to lift the weight so that starts working the lower back.

Then the other one you lean forward

Nautilus%20One%20Ab%20Crunch%20-%20F.jpg

That stuff really helped me the most.

But try just doing chair crunches first for a bit. There's some other ones online as well.

I have a portable tens unit that helps with the pain. I haven't had any issues having my back go out while brewing which is strange. With my old set up there was lots of lifting and carrying buckets up and down stairs and I always thought I was going to have an issue.

I have so much planned for the next 10 days, we were going boating tomorrow and we have a big pool party/ beefroast Sunday. I need a beer but the fridge is too far away to go get it. I can feel the vicodin working already, I feel nice as long as I don't move.

The vicodin is kicking in, I feel nice now. I need somebody to bring my a beer. I apoligize now for any future rambling or stupid posts.

Had lower back surgery in February, I'm only 32. Blew out my S1/S2 disc, the first one in your lower back :/ Was down and out for over 3 weeks, with constant shooting sciatica down my right leg. Vicodin would only last about 2 hours, then I chewed 2 more. Couldnt' sleep, lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks. I had an epidural cortisone injection twice - the first time in Feb 2010, it relieved the pain / inflammation for a year. Then it came back with a vengeance, epidural didn't take this year, hence the surgery.

Best best, sit up straight. Get an ergonomic chair for your office / car. Bend at the knees. Don't lift anything over 30 lbs. Make your wife ride you when you F**k. Get a Tempurpedic bed (Best decision / investment EVER!).

Do realize that if you lift anything heavy, you may not feel it that day, but it will creep up to you in the future, especially if you have back problems. Read again, don't lift anything over 30-50 lbs. I have a feeling that my brew weekend the second week in December (2 batches in as many days) contributed to accelerating my back problems that started just after Christmas. Read again: Don't lift anything heavy.

It's not going to get much better here on out. 80% of people with herniated discs recover in 3 months without surgery. And those who elect surgery have a good chance of only temporary relief.

Good luck.

I had back surgery last year November. I had a bulging disc in my lower back (L5 S1 I think) and the bulge blocked the ENTIRE nerve root that went down my right leg causing extreme pain from sciatica. They tried to do a steroid injection some months before surgery but They couldn't even get close to it because I was screaming so much in pain. After my surgery it was better. It took 6 months of healing before I was comfortable lifting and exercising. I have been taken off all my restriction since April-May. It still feels uncomfortable running or jogging.

Best of luck to you all with back problems!!

nyer said:
I have a portable tens unit that helps with the pain. I haven't had any issues having my back go out while brewing which is strange. With my old set up there was lots of lifting and carrying buckets up and down stairs and I always thought I was going to have an issue.
+1 tens unit is great. Just picked one up.

I have herniations (extrusions, specifically) L5/L4 and S1/L5. MRIs. Really bad for about 5 days. Pass-out pain (anyone ever do that, while standing?).

I've been working out hard for the last 2 years since. No problems since. Works for me. I guess I'm lucky.

I designed a large traction / spinal decompression device that I did use a lot... maybe it helped. Can't say now. I highly recommend these types of devices, even the inversion tables, because I've seen a lot of people get better on them. If you see one like this (DRX9000), I did all the electronics / firmware in it!

p_drx9000side.jpg

I never feel good enough to do crunches or back exercises. A huge part of my problem is sitting at a desk or in a car all day. I feel much better when I'm off from work for awhile and I'm walking around do stuff. I try to get out of the chair as much a possible but it's not enough.

Don't take offense, but you sound a tad lazy. Who ever feels good enough to work out? It's something you have to force yourself to do. It's never easy, but the benefits will be undeniable. Buy a big fitness ball and snap to it.

_

wildwest450 said:
Don't take offense, but you sound a tad lazy. Who ever feels good enough to work out? It's something you have to force yourself to do. It's never easy, but the benefits will be undeniable. Buy a big fitness ball and snap to it.

_

Some people can't tolerate pain. Physical therapists are brutal. They don't care if you are in pain.

Some people can't tolerate pain. Physical therapists are brutal. They don't care if you are in pain.

It's so nice compaired to bending over and picking up buckets of water.

With my old set up there was lots of lifting and carrying buckets up and down stairs and I always thought I was going to have an issue.

If you can do that, you can lay on an exercise ball and strengthen your core.

_

I think I mentioned some non painful core strengthing exercises, that could easily be done sitting upright in a chair or even while driving that would start the process and perhaps get you to a point where doing other, more intensive exercises can be done. But I agree with Wildwest, it sounds like the you want the lazyman's option which is painkillers, and maybe surgery.

More and more exercising these days is not about pain, but resistance and holding positions repeatedly. Like holding the gut in for a count, releasing and doing it again in sets. It doesn't cause a lot of pain. It's more about isometrics, I think the term is.

I feel for you man and wish you the best.Take care of yourself a little more.These things happen when we dont take care of ourselves.Toxins build up in our muscles,bad diets,or maybe just too much strain from your job?
I experienced a good friend/drinking buddy who became divorced a while ago and was helping him move out and brought a steam cleaner over to help him move and clean up. All of a sudden he just hit the floor and was like paralized from a slipped disk or somthing and had to call an e.r. i just remembering him in extreeme pain being moved on the stretcher.Never hope to experience this and i will remain trying to take care of myself as he did have a poor eating habits/smoked/etc..
He has issuses with it from time to time but i would do what you can to help it, he just ignored the excercises but probably should have done them but he just wanted to do whatever he wanted and didnt care. I just think you can heal yourself by taking steps in major lifestlye changes.Your eating and excercise habits are key to recovery/healing.

I developed lumbar pains at 16 about two weeks after starting work in construction. I think I pretty much had the cause identified immediately and have been a half-assed worker ever since.

_

I do chest/arm/shoulder workouts 5 days a week and I want to work out more. The problem is that doing any exercises that are supposed to help the problem hurt like hell and my chiro told me that if it hurts that I shouldn't do it. About the only thing I can do is stretch but that only seems to help a little. We had some friends over the other day and one of them is a chiro so I explained my issues and she thinks it's a nerve problem. I have been spending most of the day laying down, floating in the pool or standing. If I sit for more than 5 minutes it takes me a long time to stand straight again.

Latest posts

Back