Anyone else annoyed with newer breweries using cans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pro-can. Easier, cheaper and something just clicks when you are drinking out of a can, specially a 16oz one! (or a 19.2oz one!)

To look a bit deeper and investigate my own feelings on this:
I guess I don't like the inflexibility of gas, I find if I take a gulp from a bottle it blups back up and creates too much head, and... I don't know, I know this sounds trivial... but I just don't like drinking out of bottles. If I have a bottle (which I OFTEN do) I just pour it in a beer glass! When I have a can, I only drink from a glass if the beer is more noteworthy, and needs it!

I am pro-can. Easier, cheaper and something just clicks when you are drinking out of a can,

That's the sound of your teeth hitting the pull-tab.

I always pour into a glass. Haven't you heard about the stories mouse urine and droppings on the top of the can rims?
Cleanliness of cans is something that hasn't come up in this thread...:(

(as he steps back and lets the flood of nasty stories fly)

That's the sound of your teeth hitting the pull-tab.

I always pour into a glass. Haven't you heard about the stories mouse urine and droppings on the top of the can rims?
Cleanliness of cans is something that hasn't come up in this thread...:(

(as he steps back and lets the flood of nasty stories fly)

That's why you should always wash the tops of your beer cans before you pop the top. :)

A white-shirt from Anchor Glass told me that a bottle costs 11¢ and a can about 1¢ (he said 25¢ / case). To me, that 11¢ cost seemed really high, but he supposedly knew these things.

Good to know. Probably something like that. I guess I was thinking more about equipment. I'd be curious the price between canning and bottling line equipment. Seems New Belgium was saying how their canning line was double or something the cost of their bottling line. Then I want to say they could still fill more bottles than cans per minute. I could be getting mixed up though it was at a tasting a few years ago.

Today I purchased 3 6-packs at $8..... I wouldn't have purchased more than two if their bombers at $6 even though they were right there.

I paid 30% more for 3x as much beer... Totally not annoyed.

Prefer cans for all the reasons stated. Bottles are heavy and I don't collect them. I wish everything was cans, there's no real downside to fresher tasting beer in a more portable package.

I live just a couple miles from the Oscar Blues cannery. I prefer bottle for most drinking. Feels better in the hand, and feels better to drink out of (is that weird to say?) Lol. That being said, with all the outside stuff I do in such a beer friendly state I am thankful to have access to great craft beer in the can. Can't take bottles fishing, golfing, tubing, bike riding, ect.

Have you been into Costco lately? Costco is now one of the largest retailers of wine. They have always had cases of beer, but now most of them have a wood display with about 20 craft beers, 22/24 oz bomber sizes, all are in glass. The prices range from about $4.99 for the absolute cheapest, and most are around $5.99 to $6.99, some being $9.99. I was there yesterday and they had Stone Ruination Double IPA, Stone triple IPA, Green Flash IPA, Gigantic IPA, I think I saw Dirty Bastard, Firestone Wookey Jack, Chimay, and various other Stouts and Belgian ales.
Although the Stone Ruination is a nice beer, the bottle is silkscreened instead of labeled, so when I use if for homebrew I make sure that I dont give that one away.

It's been a grip since I've been there but they have some stellar deals there. I usually get a case of SN Celebration Ale there. Not sure I will this year. Took me forever to get through it last year. Some of the corked bottles and stuff are like $8.99 and are 10 or 12 bucks everywhere else. It's on a couple dollars, but it's still a super good deal. Cases of beer for $23 or $24...such good deals.
I wouldn't care about the Stone bottles. I've never reused them because of the painted on label. Some people have figured out how to get those off. I wouldn't bother. But I'm also not complaining about breweries using cans over bottles. That's just dumb.
Personally, I like cans for drinking beer outside. I'm very sensitive to skunking, so I either drink my beer in an opaque mug or in cans when outside.

It could be just a placebo, but I find that buying the same beer in a bottle and can that the bottle always has a better taste. No metal to alter anything, and the carbonation always seems slightly different in a can. Same goes for soda in plastic vs. can.

Cans are much better for the environment and require much less energy (fuel, electricty, etc) per ounce of beer to get to your refrigerator. You can fit many more cans on a truck or container and they are much much lighter.

They are also much better at keeping beer fresh. No light, no oxygen seeping in around the cap, won't go flat if aged, the list goes on to the advantages of cans. Canning is cheaper in the long run, but much more expensive to start up a canning line than to start up a bottle line.

I am a big can fan. There still plenty of beers available in bottles, so quit complaining. :mug:

Partly true, but reusable bottles, unlike recyclable ones are better for the environment than cans.

Glass bottles convey a greater image of quality, IMO.
However, it would cool to see the craft brewers using aluminum screw-top "bottles" ala BMC.
cl%20nfl12%20841562.JPG

Speaking of aluminum bottles, anyone else from the 'Burgh area remember the aluminum long necks that Iron City had about 10 years back? I wish I still had some of those....

Glass bottles convey a greater image of quality, IMO.
However, it would cool to see the craft brewers using aluminum screw-top "bottles" ala BMC.
cl%20nfl12%20841562.JPG

Have a brew club buddy who uses those like a crowler; fills them from the tap when he brings homebrew to meetings

We give him a hard time because he has admitted enjoying drinking the BMC to get the bottles

Speaking of aluminum bottles, anyone else from the 'Burgh area remember the aluminum long necks that Iron City had about 10 years back? I wish I still had some of those....

Yes, I remember. It was when they were still brewing in Lawrenceville. I stay away from it anymore. Same with Rolling Rock. I drank a rock once and it didn't taste the same. I looked at the label and it said "Rolling Rock Brewing Co. St. Louis, MO"

I'll be down in Carnegie in a few weeks for my FFL Draft. It's at the Ukranian Club.

Have a brew club buddy who uses those like a crowler; fills them from the tap when he brings homebrew to meetings

We give him a hard time because he has admitted enjoying drinking the BMC to get the bottles

I want to do that for tailgating. But don't want the BMC inside :drunk:

Personally if you've got the money if you have put in a brewery put in a canning line. The only downside to my understanding is you'll have to "X-ray" the cans to determine a good seal your they'll go bad quickly. Personally I'm not comfortable with aging canned beer. Though I haven't ran any proper tests since not many beers that are canned need or deserved to be ages.

I would love to get more 1554 in cans, but they don't carry them in m area any more.

1 cans hold more beer than bottles generally.

2 cans aren't lined with plastic and neither are bottle caps. It's hardened latex.

3 cans hold more beer than bottles generally.

1 cans hold more beer than bottles generally.

2 cans aren't lined with plastic and neither are bottle caps. It's hardened latex.

3 cans hold more beer than bottles generally.

1. Cans of a larger volume surely do hold more than a bottle of lesser volume.
2. Cans are lined with a water based polymer, call it what you will, it's plastic.
3. See 1 above. :drunk:

1-you can smash cans on your head when done drinking
2-you can poke a hole near bottom of said can and "shotgun" it
3-you can poke little holes in side of said empty can and smoke "tobacco" from it

Cans=AWESOME!

1. Cans of a larger volume surely do hold more than a bottle of lesser volume.
2. Cans are lined with a water based polymer, call it what you will, it's plastic.
3. See 1 above. :drunk:

Noted...

3-you can poke little holes in side of said empty can and smoke "tobacco" from it

Cans=AWESOME!

Add number three to my list, now 4.

I have no problems with cans. I have enough bottles around for bottling, and if I didnt I dont mind paying a couple bucks for a case of them. I'll reuse them and recoup my cost in the long run.

The Can lining is an Epoxy coating. The BPA is the chemical that hardens the coating, so that it isn't soft or easily scratchable. A lot of the BPA is 'burned off' or chemically altered during this process, leaving even less in the coating. The level of BPA in epoxy coating is measured in the PPB, Parts Per Billion. I think the European Standard is about 600 PPB, which is several times more stringent than any testing has shown is practical to trace. The human body will easily convert these minuscule traces and you will pee them out. You should actually have more concerns over the affects of the alcohol you are ingesting.

When I visited a soda canning line, they did not X-ray the cans. They used measuring devices to measure the inside and outside diameter of the crimp seal, as well as the height. They also measured the crimping rollers on the machine. That old them that the crimps were being folded over properly and squished the right amount. They also kept samples from every 15 minutes of the run and had them standing upside down to check for leakers. After a while, they could tell from the strength of the can that pressure had built up and the seals were good.

Cans=AWESOME!

What kind of "tobacky" we talkin about here? :eek::rolleyes::smack:

I avoid plastic in my food. Can linings are particularly nasty. They are polycarbonate, made from bisphenol a resin. The FDA says it’s okay, because the chemical companies say so.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2015/02/no-i-cant-why-im-turning-away-canned-craft-beer

In judging we use plastic cups, but they're PETE and they're only in contact with the beer for a half hour or less.

You mean you avoid food served in plastic? I avoid plastic in my food, doesn't everybody?
Linings are not Polycarbonate, they are an epoxy compound. The BPA is not a resin , it is a chemical compound. The lining itself is not "made from BPA", the BPA is a chemical additive and it is about one-millionth of a percent.

Linings are not Polycarbonate, they are an epoxy compound. The BPA is not a resin , it is a chemical compound. The lining itself is not "made from BPA", the BPA is a chemical additive and it is about one-millionth of a percent.

Sure. But in the interest of context, my comment was in regards to the suggestion of smoking things from inside the cans. I.e., vaporizing and inhaling that chemical cocktail lining the inside of the can. That's an entirely different story from merely consuming the beer that was in contact with that same compound.

Sure. But in the interest of context, my comment was in regards to the suggestion of smoking things from inside the cans. I.e., vaporizing and inhaling that chemical cocktail lining the inside of the can. That's an entirely different story from merely consuming the beer that was in contact with that same compound.

Agreed, simply drinking a beer that has been in a can would be a exponentially safer experience (except for the alcohol part, as I noted previously).:rockin:
On the other hand, smoking, which is basically inhaling the ash from leaves, and the chemicals in those leaves, whether it be tar, nicotein, CO2, acetaldehyde, toluene, ammonia, formaldehyde, and phenol are the ones I know about, (there are 10+ more) and I would put in them in same category as using the can for a pipe. Simply put, if you don't care about the laundry list of chemicals in tobacco smoke, does the laundry list of can lining vaporization chemicals matter?:drunk:

Like I always tell folks....it doesnt matter what it is, when you burn $h!t and inhale the smoke, it's bad for you!

If you're worried about the can pipe, you could always use an apple....I "once saw some guy do that at a party" when I was in college.

Back