anyone else a lightweight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
Ya know, since I started homebrewing about a year ago, I've been drinking substantially more. I generally have 1-2 beers a day, whereas in my pre-homebrewing days I had 1-2 drinks a week. I figured since I've been drinking more, I'd develop a tolerance. But it seems my genetics are stacked against me. I've always been a lightweight and drinking more hasn't seemed to have helped. It takes about 25 ounces for me to get a solid buzz going, less if my stomach is empty, a bit more if I've just eaten a lot. I'm not sure what the deal is, I've always wanted to increase my tolerance since it's far too easy for me to get in trouble with just a few drinks... And the odd thing is, I'm 6' tall and 200 lbs. Sometimes when I drink enough that the charts say I'm legally ok to drive, I feel pretty drunk...

Ah well, it saves me money at least :)

I'm almost exactly the same as you- I drink 1-2 beers every day, but when we drink more (like on a weekend), my limit is about 3 or I'm loaded or hungover. The last time I had 5 or 6 (over the course of a whole day), I wasn't even buzzed, but I was hungover the next day.
Course, I am about 70 pounds less than you. But even when we go to a microbrewery to sample, I can't do it. I have a couple then have to stagger out with my husband's help.
You're right- saves money. Still, a bit embarassing.

Lorena

LOL SWMBO is a lightweight too. When we go out to eat and catch a double bubble I drink my two micros AND one of her old fashioneds and I'm the one that drives home cuz she's looped......:drunk:

Ditto, I just don't have the capacity I had at 25 or even 45. There's times I'll buy a sampler just so I can have a taste of more than two ales. It doesn't help that I'm typically driving 75-90 minutes each way to events. At home, I'm more likely to have 3-4 different brews, but only 8 oz. each.

I guess I should point out that I absolutely don't drink to get drunk - can't even remember the last time I was really drunk. Buzzed yes, but not drunk. That said, my limit on a regular day is 2 12 oz servings. But thats partially because I can't justify any more caloric intake in my daily diet...

Im going to go out on a limb here and say Im still in my prime.....

ok, well maybe not in my prime, but pretty damn close. I had my two best friends in town over this last weekend, and we finished off an entire corny of 1.046 OG by 3:45 in the morning. I mean I did feel a little off the next morning, but nothing a screwdriver couldn't fix.

I love my binges

I'm a total light weight. 2 of my homebrews and I'm buzzed. I'm 6"2" 215 so it doesn't take much for me to feel the effects.
I almost never get drunk anymore. I just don't want to deal with hang overs anymore.

What, I cannot believe I am hearing this. :confused:

1 beer, 2 beers, 3 beers and we are not even talking real pints here! You guys need to lift your game!!!:D

i'm a frikkin drunk.. and i dabble in cultivated grass to boot.. takes a bit to get me off my rocker.. :tank:

t1master said:
i'm a frikkin drunk.. and i dabble in cultivated grass to boot.. takes a bit to get me off my rocker.. :tank:
Same here.:eek:

On average I drink around 8-10 12oz's/day, every day. Nothing to brag on, just the way it is.

Then light a spliff to get properly stoned...:mug:

drinker

I'm similar to many of the responses here: I typically drink one beer on weeknights, 2-3 over the course of the day on weekends.

I think it has to do with a lot of other things: if I have that one beer at 9:30 when I'm tired after a long day, it'll have an impact even though it's just one beer.

Being at a party seems to enable my system to handle alcohol a little better--maybe being in a more stimulating environment gets the metabolism going or something?

Lightweight. Oddly enough, I noticed I was tolerating more than 2 a night with relatively small effects. So (Ok don't frigging laugh) I actually abstained from beer for a week. So damn hard because I just love malt. I mean really. I like hops too, but the malt is like, I dunno it draws me like a moth to a flame. Anyways, so at the end of the week wife and I decided to have some brews. So here I was cooking and we were sharing a glass cause I was interim sampling several homebrews. I wasn't paying attention though. So we sit down to watch a film and man I started feeling it, I was thinking all along she was drinking more than she was doh! In general anyhow, I can drink 2 - 3 an evening. Anything more and it is no good for me, plus I really don't care for the effects of too much alcohol....but I love the malt!

John Beere said:
I recently didn't drink at all for a month just to prove it to myself (and my wife) that I could...

Yessir, I went on the wagon myself on January first for two weeks. Did a full body detox while I wasnt drinking to flush out the liver and kidneys.

I think i may have to join you guys in your wagon. Not because i want to, but, due to weather ( i know, i know, flame on) i have not been able to get outside and brew. Aside from a few bottles and an almost empty keg, i will be out of home brew. What a better way to stock pile some then to not drink it.

I ususally have 1 or 2 brews a day. on the weekends that usually holds true unless i plan on gettin after it then it could be 5 or more, but that happens maybe once a month.

Hands up. I admit it also, two years ago I went one month (did feb in may i.e. only 28days!) with nothing. very difficult. parties were the worst. not one single drop passed my lips.
day 28 came around and I thought - lets get into it, bought a carton of beer and a bottle of bollinger champagne. Ended up drinking 3-4 beers and went to bed. next night was a LOT bigger!!! No carton left. Bollinger drank two days later.

Will never do that again and would not recommend it to anybody. No good could or did come of it :D

It was my own fault, I bet my wife that I could do it. was drunk at the time.

Two, sometimes three a day 4 or 5 days a week. On the rare occasion I want to tie one on, I'd rather use hard liquor. After about the 3rd or 4th beer, they all start to taste the same to me, and I hate to drink a good beer in order to get plastered.

I rarely have more than two a night and then only for one week a month. Due to my rotating shifts I cannot drink when working the off shifts so I had to go without.

Now that the kegerator is up and running I can at least have a small sample to tide me over.:D

I find it varies. But there are times when I can just keep pouring them in and only move the needle a little bit. Other times I can feel a single brew.

Brewpastor said:
I find it varies. But there are times when I can just keep pouring them in and only move the needle a little bit. Other times I can feel a single brew.

yeah, that too. I've never been able to figure it out, but sometimes I can drink several on an empty stomach and be fine, and other times 1 beer on a full stomach has me tingly. Weird...

My recent problem has been that we're kegging now, and we just bought some Imperial Pint glasses :) So now two beers is nearing 40 ounces instead of 24 ounces in a standard glass or bottle... I find 1.5 of those is about my limit....

lorenae said:
Well, I do bottle in 16 ounce bottles!

Lorena

16 ounce is nearly a pint, that is cool. :tank:

I use 750ml (or 23 ounce bottles) for normal beers and 375ml for the BIG beers.

I am a pisshead though and think nothing of knocking off 4 or 5 longnecks (750ml). This is one of the main reason I brew - would be bankrupt otherwise :rockin: Plus it tastes better of course.

Tolerence is a funny thing, affects some people in different ways. My mate can drink me WELL under the table, so much so it is scary and I can hold my own at the bar. Met him one night and he had already had 14 cans prior to going out. That is not right.

John Beere said:
I recently didn't drink at all for a month just to prove it to myself (and my wife) that I could...
That explains why she can drink you under the table...speaking of tables...there was a certain Marine here a while back...his wife used to do me under the table...:D :D I had a tall one and she had a long neck...Yes, I drunk am!!!:drunk: :drunk:

I've had 4 HBs...but in my own defense, my bottles and glasses are 0,5 liter.

Latest posts

Back