Anyone drink the vodka in the airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
So I racked my chocolate raspberry stout to secondary tonight, and as I was taking the airlock off, It occurred to me that I could be drinking the vodka in the airlock instead of just pouring it down the drain. Since I was already on my second appfelwein and I have work tomorrow morning, I decided against it. That and it was Skol vodka.

Anyone ever drink the vodka in the airlock? Does the escaping CO2 impart any delicious beer flavors into it?

I'm thinking about using a higher quality vodka next time and taking a shot of it after it's served its purpose. :drunk:

Yikes. Maybe make some kind of cocktail out of it? I could maybe see a real hop-head enjoying the vodka from a douple IPA airlock.

I dare you to drink the vodka in the apfelwine airlock. Rhino fart vodka.

Or even better, your porkfelwine.

Maybe you can take it and make it into bacon vodka. Rhino fart bacon vodka.

Sweet jeebus.

No, absolutely not.

Why don't you keep using the cheap stuff in the airlock, then take a shot of good vodka on it's own?

yikes! you make it sound like this is a terrible idea (which it may very well be). Like I said, maybe the escaping CO2 would impart some delicious flavors into it? I don't particularly enjoy taking shots anymore these days (graduated college seven years ago), but I do enjoy my beer, and I'd be willing to try a shot of beer flavored vodka. Maybe it's the appfelwein talking, but I thought I might have been on to something.:(

homer-drool.gif
mmmmm..... rhino farts

I did it the first few times I brewed. I used vodka in my airlocks for the first 4 or 5 brews and decided that Iodophor water was a sh*tload cheaper. I am not even a big fan of vodka. Anyways, it doesn't really impart too much flavor to it. Also, as the vodka would sit there for a couple weeks the alcohol almost all but evaporated out of it. Won't hurt you, it's not horrible tasting (well, for vodka at least), but it's nothing really special.

:tank:

I use the cheapest Vodka I can find for the airlock and I do some sanitizing with it also . Like the 1/2 gallon starter vessel just a few oz of it splash it around and drain back into the bottle. I wouldnt put that crap to my lips.

I do drink Vodka but my choice is Belvedere chilled no ice...

Anyone ever drink the vodka in the airlock? Does the escaping CO2 impart any delicious beer flavors into it?

Ever fart in the bathtub and drink the bathwater? Didn't think so! :D

There be flavors in there, but good? I doubt it! :drunk:

I don't even know why that crossed your mind....

Ever leave a glass of scotch on your kitchen table for 3 weeks then drink it?

I wouldn't drink vodka from the airlock. These girls did and well...
[youtube]idAyzLy9eBc[/youtube]

I dare you to drink the vodka in the apfelwine airlock. Rhino fart vodka.

The first time I made apfelwine, I put bourbon in the airlock, since I was out of vodka. The carboy was pretty full, and had bubbled a bit of juice/stuff into the airlock. When I changed out the airlock, I gave it a taste. It was pretty good, so poured the rest on ice. It was what I think apple-infused bourbon would taste like.

Now, i just use sanitizer in airlocks and drink the bourbon.

I did it the first few times I brewed. I used vodka in my airlocks for the first 4 or 5 brews and decided that Iodophor water was a sh*tload cheaper. I am not even a big fan of vodka. Anyways, it doesn't really impart too much flavor to it. Also, as the vodka would sit there for a couple weeks the alcohol almost all but evaporated out of it. Won't hurt you, it's not horrible tasting (well, for vodka at least), but it's nothing really special.

See, I'm not the only crazy person here.;)

good point about the alcohol evaporating. I guess it is quite a bit more volatile than water. Maybe I won't be doing this after all.

I realize most of you are being facetious, but I really don't think drinking it would give you gas, much less rhino farts! I'm pretty sure that has to do with the yeast, and unless you had a violent fermentation that bubbled up into the airlock, I don't think there'd be much, if any, yeast in there.

Ewwwwwww..... I misunderstood.

Well, if I do try it, I can't say I haven't been warned...:cross:

Just try it the once. You'll always wonder if you don't. Soon you'll switch to something else for the airlock other than vodka and you will have lost your opportunity.

Really, it's not bad. It's not good. It just is. Satisfy your curiosity and then move on.:cross:

Back