Anyone choose not to use a pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
money aside..

It's been a while since I have brewed without a pump before I was forced into that situation today. It was kind of nice actually. Quiet, and the process felt less "industrial".

I'm welding a brewstand tomorrow and now am having second thoughts about that whole single tier pump thing.

No more fighting the pump trying to get it to prime while watching it cavitate in the boiling liquid? No more unique whining whir sound producing a minuscule flow that gravity puts to shame? No more $180 down the drain when a simple 2' drop destroys the pump...

My mash efficiency was the same without recirculating, the beer nearly as clear. I've given up on thoughts of pumping finished wort into a massive conical fermenter and prefer 5 gallon batches. Hmm, I'd still like to explore step mashing with a hlt herms though..

Been pump-less since 1988. Gettin old now so the thought is always lurking. Hop On~

I just don't understand the whole pump thing for smaller batch brewing. Granted I don't use a stand of any type and just move my stuff from floor to table as needed. I know it may be much different if I were to brew 10 gallon batches, but for 5 gallons I can pick the stuff up pretty easy and move it where I need to without much effort.

I tell ya what kicks my tail is trying to carefully lift the glass carboys out of the freezer without scoring the one that it's sitting up against. So far I just use the carry handle and I know it's a disaster waiting to happen.

If there was anytime I did wish I had a pump, that would be then, and even then, I don't know that it would be good to use one in that application since it will oxidize the beer.

Maybe someday I can migrate to using a brewstand and find the need for one, but the thought of having to clean something else at the end of the brew day sucks. lol

I prefer to keep it simple as well. I can easily brew my typical 1/4 keg batches without a pump, when batch sparging I just use a 1 gallon pitcher to move the sparge water. I think it is easier to just fill the one gallon pitcher a few times than connect, and disconnect a pump. Also it seems that when using a pump, most end up with spillage, I brew in a finished basement with carpet and only get a few drops off the mash paddle at worst, seems like using a pump can be a little messy.

I just don't understand the whole pump thing for smaller batch brewing. Granted I don't use a stand of any type and just move my stuff from floor to table as needed. I know it may be much different if I were to brew 10 gallon batches, but for 5 gallons I can pick the stuff up pretty easy and move it where I need to without much effort.

I tell ya what kicks my tail is trying to carefully lift the glass carboys out of the freezer without scoring the one that it's sitting up against. So far I just use the carry handle and I know it's a disaster waiting to happen.

If there was anytime I did wish I had a pump, that would be then, and even then, I don't know that it would be good to use one in that application since it will oxidize the beer.

Maybe someday I can migrate to using a brewstand and find the need for one, but the thought of having to clean something else at the end of the brew day sucks. lol

Buckets come with handles and won't break if you happen to bump one. Since you only need to have them temperature controlled during the first 3-5 days for ales, you can put one in the fermentation chamber and pull it out to put the next batch in. I know that won't work out if you are lagering but you might reduce the number of carboys if you mostly do ales. :mug:

Simple is best IMHO: I hand dip strike and batch sparge water into a home made mash/lauter tun, gravity fed from tun to kettle to fermenter.

I figure man has been brewing beer for a bazillion years without automation so I try to keep it simple with the more hands on approach. I cure and smoke meats and grill foods the same way - no auto temp controller on a fermentation chamber or a cooker - just basement temp/humidity and a smoky fire.

Likewise, I don't have a brewing fermentation chamber so don't incrementally increase lager temps over time - I just let the basement ambient temp dictate what I brew next - warmer beers in the summer, cooler beers in the winter. Seems like I am more a part of the process that way - more old school.

Kinda the same reason I grow a garden and bake bread.

I have two pumps and I rarely use them. It's just another thing to clean after you're done brewing.

I do use a submersible pump in the summer to recirculate ice water through my immersion chiller. But I don't have to clean that.

I recommend checking out brew haulers. It's a series of straps that support your carboy from the bottom and make it a lot easier to carry. Much safer than the handles that wrap around the carboy neck.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-brew-hauler.html?gclid=CNPh4b2l770CFYtDMgodQiAACg

I went gung ho and bought a pump and some hoses about 6 months ago. Used them for the first 3 brews to transfer all liquid - sparge / recirc / to kettle / whirlpool & chill / to fermenter. The last few I have only used it to move from tun to kettle, and for chill whirlpool. Such a hassle to move hoses around, and messy too. I guess if I drop another couple hundy on another pump and 3 way valves and hoses, I could eliminate that problem, but now I woud have that much more to clean. Not sure what to think now LOL

You can use co2 to move the beer if you if have the right set up.

I'm pretty happy with my simple gravity fed set up. I put a cooler on top of a half barrel and use that to sit my HLT on. Mash tun below on the burner and the BK below that on the ground. Easy to set up and break down when I'm done. Only improvement it needs is to be raised enough to have the BK on a burner while I'm sparging but that's just to save time.
I do use a submersible pump to run my pool water through my IC though. Great investment that requires no cleaning or hassle.

All gravity, except I use a pond pump to chill with ice water.

3 tier.jpg

I don't use any pumps but I am only doing 5.5 gallon batches. Moving that much water around isn't a big deal. When I move up to 10 gallon batches I might change my mind.

I bought a pump shortly after I brewed 10 gallons and realized that the kettle was 2" too low to use gravity to drain into my carboys. I had to wait for help which meant I sat around until any neighbor would text me back or come home. I'd rather clean a pump than to wait around for help like that again. My brew buddy has 4 legs and she is basically not helping me, ever.

I never used a pump. I transfer strike water and sparge water with a 2qt saucepan. The rest by gravity. (notice the essential 2qt saucepan)
My brewsystem:

I think I would lose patience making all those 2qt transfers, though that does look pretty peaceful scenery.

That brings me to another thought. How do people vorlauf? To achieve the clarity a pump does I think it would take approximately 4 gallons recirculation. When I dump multiple gallons onto into the mash tun at once, I'm pretty sure that I'm disturbing the settled grain bed.

I think I would lose patience making all those 2qt transfers, though that does look pretty peaceful scenery.

That brings me to another thought. How do people vorlauf? To achieve the clarity a pump does I think it would take approximately 4 gallons recirculation. When I dump multiple gallons onto into the mash tun at once, I'm pretty sure that I'm disturbing the settled grain bed.

Some people don't worry about getting clear wort. They prefer to worry about getting clear beer. The two don't equate. My wort is so cloudy that you would be appalled but the beer still turns out clear. The main point to a vorlauf is to keep the particles of grain and pieces of husk out of the boil kettle and the need for that is questionable.

Haven't had a need for a pump as of yet, don't see it in the near future either. Perhaps if I started making monster batches 10+gallons. Usually use 12-15L strike water, easy enough to pour from kettle into tun. If I mashout, the 10g tun has plenty of space left. Have the tun on a kitchen chair, the kettle(s) on the floor while gravity does the work. When one is full I man up and hoist it into the stove. Next one same ordeal.

I use an ordinary juice jug for a 4-6L vorlauf. Just long enough that I stop getting chunks in the wort then it's kettle time. I don't see any need to vorlauf half an hour to get sparkling wort from it. As far as it being questionable I do agree for the most part. It's not uncommon for a few small chunks (10-15) to make an appearance at some point in time during my boil. Sure some tannins will come out but from that few husks in so much wort I have a tough time believing it will make a noticeable difference.

Haven't had a need for a pump as of yet, don't see it in the near future either. Perhaps if I started making monster batches 10+gallons. Usually use 12-15L strike water, easy enough to pour from kettle into tun. If I mashout, the 10g tun has plenty of space left. Have the tun on a kitchen chair, the kettle(s) on the floor while gravity does the work. When one is full I man up and hoist it into the stove. Next one same ordeal.

I use an ordinary juice jug for a 4-6L vorlauf. Just long enough that I stop getting chunks in the wort then it's kettle time. I don't see any need to vorlauf half an hour to get sparkling wort from it. As far as it being questionable I do agree for the most part. It's not uncommon for a few small chunks (10-15) to make an appearance at some point in time during my boil. Sure some tannins will come out but from that few husks in so much wort I have a tough time believing it will make a noticeable difference.

Not necessarily enough to notice. It takes a high pH to extract tannins and you wort should not be that high. People do decoction mashes and remove a portion of the wort and grains and they bring them to a boil before adding them back to the mash. If tannins were extracted, this should really show them but it doesn't.

Great thread. I will apologize though. I didn't read all the replies. I'm in a bit of a hurry.

I think adding a pump was something i achieved up to - Not to sure my beer is any better for it; but the pump is a pretty cool and groovy addition.

Before that, gravity was my friend.

I guess its like anything, the grass always looks better on the other side

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I currently have a gravity system and intend on continuing with it. I do plan however, to incorporate a pump to recirculate through my MLT. The main reason for this is so that I can automate the firing of the burner.

I have a friend who is a retired brewmaster from AB...he uses a Blichmann Top Tier gravity system and loves it...direct fires his mash too...he makes pretty damn good beer with it. Sometimes technology just gives us more crap to fret over when it really can be very simple.

Pump is one of the best brew purchases I've made. Saves a lot of manual labor, and allows me to step mash, or whatever I want mash by being able to direct fire the MT and recirculate. Speeds up everything.

Sorry, I know this is the thread where people who want to justify not spending the money on the pump slap each others' backs, and that's great. Brew your own, do it how you like. But I love my pump(s)...and PS, they're not 180 bucks. No need to exaggerate.

Editing for the above post...I don't know how your friend can direct fire the MT without scorching the wort without a pump. He must manipulate newtonian physics far better then me. Good on him.

Gravity for me. Maybe I'll invest in pumps later on in my home brewing career or if I have a few extra hundred bucks lying around, but for now, gravity and I do all the transferring of liquids.

I've also read that folks put a piece of foil over the top of the grain bed and pour the pitcher slowly over that so as not to disturb it to much.

I've had good luck this far by pouring from a pitcher directly onto the side of the tun. This has the water / vorlauf run gently down the side of the cooler to the edge of the grain bed.

I have a friend who is a retired brewmaster from AB...he uses a Blichmann Top Tier gravity system and loves it...direct fires his mash too...he makes pretty damn good beer with it. Sometimes technology just gives us more crap to fret over when it really can be very simple.

Its got to feel weird going from brewing on ABs system down to the homebrew scale lol. That's such a huge difference in scale.

Oxidation. I haven't seen anyone mention this. Though I doubt anyone is measuring on a homebrew level. My pump has been more effective at adding oxygen than moving liquid most times.

I don't know how your friend can direct fire the MT without scorching the wort without a pump. He must manipulate newtonian physics far better then me. Good on him.

My guess is that he uses a spoon or a paddle and stirs the grist while heating, maybe recircs a few gallons manually... Would that be manipulating Newtonian physics?

Wilserbrewer
Biabags.webs.com

I have a 3 tier direct fired system, I like to keep things simple, I'm sure many people use pumps and love them, I'm not against them I just don't use them.

I have a electric water pump off a BMW that I'm going to use for recirculating my wort chiller as the warmer months are approaching.

I love my pump. It is probably the most important piece of equipment. Just goes to show you how different we all are.

This reminds me of a popular saying in the cigar hobby/community... Like what you smoke and smoke what you like.
Its all personal preference and up to what each brewers situation is. But the bottom line is if it works for you and your happy then that's what's most important.

I've had good luck this far by pouring from a pitcher directly onto the side of the tun. This has the water / vorlauf run gently down the side of the cooler to the edge of the grain bed.

Wouldn't this promote channeling? I thought this was something one wants to avoid?

Oxidation. I haven't seen anyone mention this. Though I doubt anyone is measuring on a homebrew level. My pump has been more effective at adding oxygen than moving liquid most times.

I thought HSA on the homebrew level has been established as a myth.

Agree that with 5g batches, too easy to just use a saucepan to transfer my strike water. Couple of dips and I am done. Only use a pond pump for my chiller. And that is worth every penny!

Latest posts

Back