Anyone checked these out for a fermentation temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kds1398

Reaction score
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKL

For $120 you get a head unit to display/program the temperature, a temperature probe, & a power controller that looks like it can control 4 different devices. Lots of cool expandability as well. My main concern was the temperature probe, which seems to be designed for 65-95F. I'm not sure what kind of probe I could get to replace that one that has a more appropriate range.

Edit: a search showed several people using these. I'm concerned about the probe they give you though. Anyone have a clue what kind of probe would be appropriate to replace that with or if these are even a good option for fermentation control?

I have seen the Love/Ebay controllers all over the place here and before I buy/build one of those I was wondering about this controller specifically.

one temp controller and its meant to then power things like lighting on a timer, a calcium reactor, etc.

I can tell you that if there's one hobby where things are more expensive than they should be (aside from homebrewing) its aquariums. Especially reef tanks since all the components have to withstand the salt creep / corrosion levels.

Unless you have $120 to just throw away ;)

The more I look at it, the more I think a love/eBay job is the way to go.

exactly.. I can't think how you'd want to control 4 separate devices based on a single temp. 4 separate devices based on 4 different temps absolutely, but not the other way around. For $120 you can probably rig two or three fermentation chambers with the ebay controller.

one temp controller and its meant to then power things like lighting on a timer, a calcium reactor, etc.

I can tell you that if there's one hobby where things are more expensive than they should be (aside from homebrewing) its aquariums. Especially reef tanks since all the components have to withstand the salt creep / corrosion levels.

Unless you have $120 to just throw away ;)

+ a gazillion to that. I used to keep salt water aquariums and they cost a fortune to maintain. Now, my last aquarium stand is the basic structure for my brew stand and I'm much happier and a little bit wealthier.:mug:

Latest posts

Back