Anyone brewing Brut IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap. 90ibus is crazy for a brett ipa. Im not an expert in bretts by any means but that seems like a bad idea to me. Especially if the brett has time to eat your dextrins and unfermentables. Thin and bitter.

I don’t recall the exact recipe but it was only about like maybe 50ibus. Although after about 12 weeks the ibus fade and things mellow alot, plus the brett is doing crazy things in there and you wouldn’t have noticed ibus more than you do in a bmc type lager. So while it probably wasn’t planned, it ended up with no real discernible bitterness.

And they had a specific brett strain he used, very little funk. But good fruit esters.

Anyways, i think the proper name for these would just be brut ale. Typical ipa recipe is nothing like these beers, no real similarity other than alot of hops. If you look at the big picture they are more similar to a bmc light beer with a ton of hops vs what we consider ipa- whether the original uk- british/ old school 90s pac nw/san diego-west coast or even neipa.

So off topic, but why hasn't Brut IPA been added to the HBT recipe database as a category?

Along the same vein, has anyone compiled all the recipes and tried a fair number of them to see which are the best?

Ok just finalizing my recipe for tomorrow. Any last minute thoughts on this hop schedule?

BOIL
0.25 oz Simcoe @ 30 min
0.25 oz Chinook @ 10 min
0.5 oz Comet @ 0 min

WHIRLPOOL (10 min @170)
1 oz Hallertau Blanc
1 oz Simcoe
0.5 oz Comet

DRY HOP
2 oz Hallertau Blanc
2 oz Simcoe
1 oz Comet

The single chinook addition is meant to give a solid bitter/resin/pine backbone to carry the sweeter Hallertau Blanc and Simcoe additions

The overall character I'm going for is similar to Sierra Nevada Brut - more balanced toward pine/citrus, but with a secondary character of white wine/grape/tropical

Update on this recipe after 2 weeks in the keg and fining with gelatin.

The bitterness is harsh and it has sulfer/vegetal flavors even though I only left the dry hops in for 18 hours at 65F.

I would cut the dry hops in half, eliminate the 30 minute addition, and reduce the proportion of hallertaur blanc. It seems to offer a solventy ester similar to muscodine grapes at high levels that is unpleasant.

I would also consider switching out Comet for something a little sweeter like El Dorado, or mosaic. I wanted a crisp hop bitterness and got harsh burn.

Interestingly enough, it seems to mellow when allowed to sit in the glass for several minutes and oxidize

Update on this recipe after 2 weeks in the keg and fining with gelatin.

The bitterness is harsh and it has sulfer/vegetal flavors even though I only left the dry hops in for 18 hours at 65F.

I would cut the dry hops in half, eliminate the 30 minute addition, and reduce the proportion of hallertaur blanc. It seems to offer a solventy ester similar to muscodine grapes at high levels that is unpleasant.

I would also consider switching out Comet for something a little sweeter like El Dorado, or mosaic. I wanted a crisp hop bitterness and got harsh burn.

Interestingly enough, it seems to mellow when allowed to sit in the glass for several minutes and oxidize

Thanks for reporting back. Are you sure its getting oxidized? I would say it's the change in temperature that is mellowing it. Some hops can be bitter when too cold and the flavour/aroma begin to open up when the beer warms up a bit.

Thanks for reporting back. Are you sure its getting oxidized? I would say it's the change in temperature that is mellowing it. Some hops can be bitter when too cold and the flavour/aroma begin to open up when the beer warms up a bit.

I'm fairly certain its oxidation since I can pour the first slug of beer out of my lines after sitting for a day and it has the same mellow effect. It stays cold, but I know the beer in my lines gets oxidized in a matter of hours.

I'm fairly certain its oxidation since I can pour the first slug of beer out of my lines after sitting for a day and it has the same mellow effect. It stays cold, but I know the beer in my lines gets oxidized in a matter of hours.

Perhaps you can switch to EVABarrier lines? I understand they are the best available for O2 exclusion

Aack I'm low on enzyme and Brewcraft discontinued my go to liquid glycoamylase 4oz bottles. Same product is still out there in quarts but thats way too much for me. What are you guys using now?

I'm using Lallemand Voss and white labs Ultra ferm.

OG = 1.058

I fermented at 100 degrees for 3 days and just dropped the temp to 70 to drop out yeast and try to stop fermentation at 1.006.

I added ultra ferm because I have only hit around 1.009 - 1.011 with Voss.

In 2 days I hit 1.010 and day 3 (today) I hit 1.006

I'm curious if dropping kveik out early will have any off flavors. I did all of the above because I thought it's a pretty quick fermentation and Voss will only keep going because of ultra ferm, so if it's dropped out + a dry hop, hopefully fermentation will stop.

Thanks for any help

OG = 1.058

I fermented at 100 degrees for 3 days and just dropped the temp to 70 to drop out yeast and try to stop fermentation at 1.006.

I'm curious if dropping kveik out early will have any off flavors. I did all of the above because I thought it's a pretty quick fermentation and Voss will only keep going because of ultra ferm, so if it's dropped out + a dry hop, hopefully fermentation will stop.

Thanks for any help
Lowering the temperature seldom drops all of the yeast out, if it did then you wouldn't be able to bottle carbonate cold crashed beer (but you can.) The SG is likely to keep dropping until you refrigerate the beer. I would say in this case, the colder the better.

Normally Ultra Ferm (or any other amyloglucosidase) doesn't stop chopping dextrins into glucose until all the dextrins are gone. Glucose is sweeter than dextrins, so even if you don't ferment the glucose formed, the finished beer is likely to be sweeter than expected, and have less body.

Brew on :mug:

OG = 1.058

Thanks for any help

In my experience, that is pretty slow for Voss. Ive found that Voss is usually done in 24 hours when I pitched the yeast at about 80F and let to rise to ~90F. I’m using Ultraferm too, and mashing 147 to 148.

I'd be nervous about priming and bottling that beer with it at 1.006 as there could be a few more slow points of fermentation there. The kveik keeps going until it has finished and will just slow down and start dropping out at 70.
Hope you tasted the beer when you did your gravity check at 1.009 - 1.011 as if it was good then it might not be better once you've stripped out all the body.

In my experience, that is pretty slow for Voss. Ive found that Voss is usually done in 24 hours when I pitched the yeast at about 80F and let to rise to ~90F. I’m using Ultraferm too, and mashing 147 to 148.
I've had 2 to 3 day fermentations with Voss at those temps pretty regularly. You might have a better way of getting oxygen into your wort than I do. Idk but I mashed at 150f

I'd be nervous about priming and bottling that beer with it at 1.006 as there could be a few more slow points of fermentation there. The kveik keeps going until it has finished and will just slow down and start dropping out at 70.
Hope you tasted the beer when you did your gravity check at 1.009 - 1.011 as if it was good then it might not be better once you've stripped out all the body.

Yeah it is a little thin at 1.006, that 2nd day at 1.010 was spectacular to me. I've never had it go down that low to 1.006 so I wanted to see how it was.

In the end, I added white peach puree from amoretti to the keg and it turned out quite amazing.

Back