Anyone brewing Brut IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I re-brew
I had a total of 25 IBU’s, 5 @ 5min, 20IBU in WP, and 5oz of DH total. It’s pretty good and several, including a local brewer, have guessed the IBU’s at 50-60.
Mine doesn't drink like 40 IBU's. For what I like, I want a bit more hoppiness and more aroma. I had 14 IBU's in the WP. I'll probably increase that to 25 next time.

Planning to brew one using the following;
93%pilsner malt
7% acidulated malt.

Cap the mash with an additional 7% acid malt and run off the sparge.

Use Nelson sauvin at 5mins and flameout. Then ferment with imperial Brett.
Add 250ml of NZ Sauvignon Blanc and 7oz of Nelson sauvin dryhop.

Carb and serve.

Thoughts??

Planning to brew one using the following;
93%pilsner malt
7% acidulated malt.

Cap the mash with an additional 7% acid malt and run off the sparge.

Use Nelson sauvin at 5mins and flameout. Then ferment with imperial Brett.
Add 250ml of NZ Sauvignon Blanc and 7oz of Nelson sauvin dryhop.

Carb and serve.

Thoughts??

I used Nelson and Rakau in mine and it turned out pretty good after letting it sit in the keg a week or two on CO2. Although I generally like those hops I think they give the perception of an even drier beer and almost dry hopped sake flavor to this style rather than a champagne or white grape flavor you’d expect. Next time I think I’m going to go with a Centennial/something combo...maybe Mosaic.

So what about this.....use no enzyme additions but use 3711 and sugar. I frequently get my saisions down to 1.000.

The advantage of this is saison yeast produce plenty of glycerol as a fermentation bi product which gives a greater fullness in a dry beer.

I think you pick the right fermentation temperature you get the right complementary esters.

Thoughts? I did skim read much of the thread so if I have missed something...

I don't think you could reliably reach 1.000 if it is producing glycerin.

But give it a go, I'd be curious to see what happens.
So what about this.....use no enzyme additions but use 3711 and sugar. I frequently get my saisions down to 1.000.

The advantage of this is saison yeast produce plenty of glycerol as a fermentation bi product which gives a greater fullness in a dry beer.

I think you pick the right fermentation temperature you get the right complementary esters.

Thoughts? I did skim read much of the thread so if I have missed something...

9/6/18 Brew day
5 gallon Brut IPA based off Social Kitchen recipe with minor changes - lower IBU using WP hops and WLP644:

8 lbs pilsner
1 lb flaked corn
14 oz minute rice
60 minute boil
Added powder enzyme to wort after sparge around 140F. Enzyme rest 1 hour
SG: 1.056
BS has an approximate 12.5 IBU using WP hops at 160F. I always have a higher perceived bitterness and brewing this one for the ladies so needed to keep IBU's on the low side.

Yeast nutrient in the boil
Irish moss in boil
3.17 oz Mosaic at 160F WP
DDH w/6.83 oz Mosaic (second DH addition is always in my serving keg - I only had 10oz Mosaic on hand so made the split accordingly)

WLP644 washed and starter for some fun experimental yeast - going for fruity combo WLP644 and Mosaic
Added yeast nutrient to FV

This will be a monster if it ferments out completely.

Currently brewingmy Sauvignon Blanc Brut IPA.
86% Pilsner
7% acidulated for pH
7% acidulated in the sparge for some minor tartness.
Hopping with Nelson Sauvin using the social kitchen schedule.
15g @15
100g @0mins

Yeast is imperial yeast suburban Brett.
Will dryhop with 200g of Nelson Sauvin
And then keg with 250-375ml of my favourite NZ Sauvignon Blanc (Torlesse, which is local to me).
1.056 going into the FV.
Hoping the Brettanomyces will get it nice and low as I mashed at 63/64 C. While adding a nice fruitiness to compliment the wine and hops. It'll be entered into the national HBC here in NZ. Fingers Crossed.

Got around to brewing this last weekend
8 lbs Maris Otter 1823
4 lbs 2-Row

Mosaic 2 oz
Columbus 1 oz
Simcoe 0.5 oz
all at flameout. Cooled to 170 quickly and held for 10 mins.

Imperial corporate @66F

Ended up tossing in some pumpkin honey I had laying around from the last time I made mead just for some extra abv. Finished with ~6.3 gallons of 1.058 wort.

Added ~1 oz glucoamylase during cooling ~90F. Chugging away right now!

Added 1 oz simcoe cryo hops about 36 hrs ago. Tasted it as well but still tasted fairly sweet. Will wait a couple more days and maybe boost the ferm temp to 68F.

Are the majority of you seeing the beer dry by day 4 because mine definitely is not

Added 1 oz simcoe cryo hops about 36 hrs ago. Tasted it as well but still tasted fairly sweet. Will wait a couple more days and maybe boost the ferm temp to 68F.

Are the majority of you seeing the beer dry by day 4 because mine definitely is not
It can dry out in 4 days, but I doubt that is typical. Mine finished at 0.996, but still had sweetness due to the hops used.

Brew on :mug:

This is what I've put together so far, looking to brew next week.

OG 1.058, FG 1.000, 7.6 % ABV
37.5 IBU

80 % Weyermann Barke Pils
20 % Flaked Maize

Mash at ~63 °C (145-146 °F)

15 min - Nelson Sauvin, 30 g (22.5 IBU)
5 min - Nelson Sauvin, 50 g (15 IBU)
Dry hop with 100 g of Nelson Sauvin for 5 days

Ferment with WLP644

I'm thinking of adding glucoamylase after boil during cooling and again towards the end of the fermentation if it seems necessary, although I've gotten fairly good attentuation with WLP644 in the past without any enzyme additions.

This is what I've put together so far, looking to brew next week.

OG 1.058, FG 1.000, 7.6 % ABV
37.5 IBU

80 % Weyermann Barke Pils
20 % Flaked Maize

Mash at ~63 °C (145-146 °F)

15 min - Nelson Sauvin, 30 g (22.5 IBU)
5 min - Nelson Sauvin, 50 g (15 IBU)
Dry hop with 100 g of Nelson Sauvin for 5 days

Ferment with WLP644

I'm thinking of adding glucoamylase after boil during cooling and again towards the end of the fermentation if it seems necessary, although I've gotten fairly good attentuation with WLP644 in the past without any enzyme additions.
37 IBU may be a bit heavy. I have 24 in mine and they are plenty for me. Otherwise it looks good. I add some enzym to my mash, but that may just be a hat on a hat.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll move the 15 minute addition to 5 minutes, that should drop the IBUs down to ~24.

Fully carbed and i love it. The Azacca almost gives it a mimosa character. Nice and dry, but not astringent. Cant wait for the next batch.View attachment 585814

Super long time lurker of this forum and thinking about trying to brew one of these. This thread got me to finally create an account. jaymosbeershack would you mind sharing the recipe you made? I couldn't find it in the thread. I have almost a pound of Azacca hops in the freezer and would love to get the mimosa profile you said you got from yours.

Super long time lurker of this forum and thinking about trying to brew one of these. This thread got me to finally create an account. jaymosbeershack would you mind sharing the recipe you made? I couldn't find it in the thread. I have almost a pound of Azacca hops in the freezer and would love to get the mimosa profile you said you got from yours.
These numbers are from a 5 gallon batch. I went pretty simple with the grain bill. 45% 2 row, 45%Pilsner malt, 10% flaked corn. I got 25 IBU out of a first wort addition(.45oz) then whirlpooled another 1.55 oz added at 195*f. Dry hops where 4oz. I added enzyme to the mash and the fermenter and fermented with white labs 001 cali.
Dryhopped on day 4(1.003SG) beer finished between 1.000 and 1.001sg

These numbers are from a 5 gallon batch. I went pretty simple with the grain bill. 45% 2 row, 45%Pilsner malt, 10% flaked corn. I got 25 IBU out of a first wort addition(.45oz) then whirlpooled another 1.55 oz added at 195*f. Dry hops where 4oz. I added enzyme to the mash and the fermenter and fermented with white labs 001 cali.
Dryhopped on day 4(1.003SG) beer finished between 1.000 and 1.001sg

Thanks so much. I just ordered the enzyme off Amazon. Going to take a stab at this on my next brew.

I've successfully brewed 2 Brut IPA's, both with similar OG's around 1.057 and both finished with identical FG's of .997. Doing the math, both beers are pushing nearly 8% alcohol.

I think I must have a sensitive palate to this high alcohol content because I sense an alcohol harshness in the beer. The hops are well controlled and very appealing, and the last beer I used Sterling and Vic Secret. The IBU's on paper was something like 33, but the hop presence was pronounced compared to the actual IBU number. I don't think the sharpness/harshness of this beer is coming from the hops, I think it is from the high alcohol content.

Has anyone else considered cutting the grain bill to get a starting OG of maybe 1.040? If my numbers hold true and the FG drops to .997, now we are talking about a 5.6% ABV beer which I consider in my normal range. Since I see lots of brewers reporting OG around the same as mine (1.057), has anyone scaled back the grain bill to get an OG of 1.040 or similar??

Last edited:
I've successfully brewed 2 Brut IPA's, both with similar OG's around 1.057 and both finished with identical FG's of .997. Doing the math, both beers are pushing nearly 8% alcohol.

I think I must have a sensitive palate to this high alcohol content because I sense an alcohol harshness in the beer. The hops are well controlled and very appealing, and the last beer I used Sterling and Vic Secret. The IBU's on paper was something like 33, but the hop presence was pronounced compared to the actual IBU number. I don't think the sharpness/harshness of this beer is coming from the hops, I think it is from the high alcohol content.

Has anyone else considered cutting the grain bill to get a starting OG of maybe 1.040? If my numbers hold true and the FG drops to .997, now we are talking about a 5.6% ABV beer which I consider in my normal range. Since I see lots of brewers reporting FG around the same as mine (1.057), has anyone scaled back the grain bill to get an OG of 1.040 or similar??

I've worried about this on mine. I am going to estimate a lower ABV by using the beersmith attenuation and alcohol tool to try and ballpark it in around 6%ish

I've not brewed one of these yet, but I would guess that the style doesn't lend itself to huge ABVs, I'd certainly cut it down to no more than 6% as a target, probably less.

Have you guys read the brulosophy post about using Beano to get FG down? I might try it with a brut, my last ipa got down to 1.007 just with us-05 and low mash temp. I don’t need it to get down to .996, I would be happy with 1.002 (seems plenty dry to me). I’ll report back

Last edited:
Just kegged my attempt at a simple Brut.
OG: 1.062 FG:0.995 ABV:8.93%

Interesting side effect; I had my first two pints of the brew with a dinner of home-made meatloaf and a large helping of refried beans.

Now normally, beans and I have a rather dramatic relationship:confused:, but this time there was...

nothing:yes:

I'm thinking that the glucoamylase may have also worked it's magic on the beans in a manner similar to Beano:bravo:

Time will tell...

Have you guys read the brulosophy post about using Beano to get FG down? I might try it with a brut, my last ipa got down to 1.007 just with us-05 and low mash temp. I don’t need it to get down to .996, I would be happy with 1.002 (seems plenty dry to me). I’ll report back
I put beano in a stuck beer once, and add more yeast. It started again. Got almost down to my intended gravity. It was a long time ago so i dont remember the numbers.

I'm brewing a Brut this weekend. Here's the recipe plan:

9 lbs pilsner
1.5 lbs flaked wheat
4.5 oz acidulated malt

1 oz El Dorado wp @ 170 20 min
1 oz Enigma wp @ 170 20 min
1 oz El Dorado sp @ 150 20 min
1 oz Enigma wp @ 150 20 min
2 oz Columbus (whole cone) wp @ 150 20 min (homegrown!)
1 oz El Dorado DH on 5 days
1 oz Enigma DH on 5 days
1 oz Enigma DH 3 days
1 oz Citra DH 3 days

Planning to mash at 148 for 1 hour, when mash drops below 145, add 1g amylo 300
After 40 minutes, do a normal drain to boil kettle and batch sparge. After the first runnings, add 1 g amylo 300 to the kettle and let it/with second runnings, rest for 45 minutes.

The rest is my typical 1 hour boil, wp as noted, and a typical fermentation schedule.

I'm using Nottingham yeast, ferment at 64 with my usual rise to 70 for diacetyl rest.

Targeting the "yellow dry" water profile from Bru'n Water with a mash pH of about 5.3.

Thoughts?

Currently brewingmy Sauvignon Blanc Brut IPA.
86% Pilsner
7% acidulated for pH
7% acidulated in the sparge for some minor tartness.
Hopping with Nelson Sauvin using the social kitchen schedule.
15g @15
100g @0mins

Yeast is imperial yeast suburban Brett.
Will dryhop with 200g of Nelson Sauvin
And then keg with 250-375ml of my favourite NZ Sauvignon Blanc (Torlesse, which is local to me).
1.056 going into the FV.
Hoping the Brettanomyces will get it nice and low as I mashed at 63/64 C. While adding a nice fruitiness to compliment the wine and hops. It'll be entered into the national HBC here in NZ. Fingers Crossed.

This turned out really well.
I've done the acidulated malt sparging before in an SJ Porr beer a few years back.
Never checks my ph levels, but there a subtle tartness in there as well as lots of Nelson character and a nice subtle wine character.
I changed tact a little in an effort to get the beer nice and dry. After 2.5 days on the imperial yeast brett, I added 2 packs of belle Saison, which then took the beer all the way to 1.002. From 1.056.
It's a little hazy still as the brett hasn't dropped out yet but it's tasty. With hints of grape and wine, lots of hip character and a subtle malt backbone (the brett has been able to keep it feeling good.

Next time I'll sourcwoth lactic acid in its place using lacto or something similar but keep it from getting too low.
IMG_2563.JPG

I brewed up my first Brut IPA this weekend, FG at 1.046 (85% Pilsner, 15% Flakes corn) so that my ABV doesn’t go north of 6%.

Used OYL-091 (Hornindal Kveik) at 93F and the beer was literally done (like 0.996 per the Tilt) less than 24 hr post pitch! I’m guessing the high temp helped the glucoamylase work super fast as well.

Went with 25 IBUs with Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado. Dry hopping with 8 oz (even blend) tonight, after temp drops to 75F.

Attachments

• ED2BFC24-359A-4660-AD64-8E78660F62D9.png
    ED2BFC24-359A-4660-AD64-8E78660F62D9.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
My first try at this "style" was very successful. I used WL001 and it went from 1.055 to 1.001 in no time. Strange not using any boil hops, but it had the expected bitterness with only flame off and dry hopped additions. Next time I'll put some in during fermentation as well and see what that does. This beer was very drinkable and the keg kicked way too soon. :D :mug:

I brewed mine on saturday. I haven't done a post mortem yet, but somehow I ended up 10 points above my intended OG. BF says my brewhouse efficiency was 72%, which is what I had set up for the recipe, so I'm really confused. I could have diluted the wort, but I decided to just go with what I had. If I hit a FG around 1.000 or 1.001, I'll be pushing 7%.

I brewed up my first Brut IPA this weekend, FG at 1.046 (85% Pilsner, 15% Flakes corn) so that my ABV doesn’t go north of 6%.

Used OYL-091 (Hornindal Kveik) at 93F and the beer was literally done (like 0.996 per the Tilt) less than 24 hr post pitch! I’m guessing the high temp helped the glucoamylase work super fast as well.

Went with 25 IBUs with Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado. Dry hopping with 8 oz (even blend) tonight, after temp drops to 75F.
can't wait to hear how this one tastes

Had the first real pour of my peach brut yesterday. 6.7(ish)% the peach is appearant, but not at all sweet. Almost a bit tart. I really like it, but i think ill go 1#/gallon next time. (I did 3# in 5 gallons)

I've not brewed one of these yet, but I would guess that the style doesn't lend itself to huge ABVs, I'd certainly cut it down to no more than 6% as a target, probably less.

I am interested. My first reaction when I looked at this was that very high ABV could be the go. I was thinking of dry white and sparkling wines which are all typically up around 12% somewhere. That said I am no fan of big beers in general. I much prefer to keep everything well below 6%, but I realise I am pretty much on my own there! Do you have some particular logic for your comment or is it just your feeling for what you'd like to drink?

Anyway, I have not actually tried a Brut IPA yet. I have a Brut Brown Ale (?!) bottle conditioning at the moment, but probably the least said about that the better.

I am interested. My first reaction when I looked at this was that very high ABV could be the go. I was thinking of dry white and sparkling wines which are all typically up around 12% somewhere. That said I am no fan of big beers in general. I much prefer to keep everything well below 6%, but I realise I am pretty much on my own there! Do you have some particular logic for your comment or is it just your feeling for what you'd like to drink?

You need to come to Britain, you know the place where all we drink is 4% bitter or cask-strength Scotch and nothing in between... But no, my logic would be that you're deliberately chewing up all your carbohydrates, so there's a danger that you'll have quite a thin mouthfeel, and while some alcohol (say 5%-ish) can help that, too much will just unbalance the beer. And balance is everything.

Perhaps the most white-wine-like beer I ever had was a while back, before bruts were a thing, it was a somewhat tart but not sour Bretted beer that must have been mostly pilsner malt, fermented right down with a moderate amount of fancy hops. It was different to wine, but had a very similar balance of gentle acidity and fruit flavours. I guess it must have been 5% or so, would have been the perfect beer for sole veronique.

Nice! Dropped 50 points in about 18 hours.
Should bottle carbonate in under 2 hours (at 90F). An hour to chill after carbonating.
3 hours to brew it?

Grain to glass in 24 hours!
Mind blown.

Back