Anyone Brewed? [NB, 115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMan

Reaction score
Last night I ordered the 115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA (all grain) kit from Northern Brewer. I'm a little worried about this monster of a beer and was curious if anyone has attempted to brew it. At this point, my concerns are mainly around mashing and boil volumes. I read some mixed reviews and was hoping someone had some advice.

Also, the bill calls for 1lb of hops! That's right, 1lb. They say I will loose significant volume post boil due to hop absorption. I'm planning on straining out the hops prior to primary to reduce the chance of off flavors.

It also claims to be formulated to yield a 6 gallon batch of wort to compensate for volume lost to hops. does this mean my final boil volume should be 6 gallons, or should I boil to 5 and add 1 gal of pre-boiled water to the primary vessel? Help!

I'm also planning a two-stage yeast starter to yield 335 billion cells. I don't want to do all this work over 3 months to have a failed beer because of my mash/boil.

M

You are probably going to want to collect 7 or more gallons and boil down to 6 gallons. I haven't done that kit, but I was eyeballing it for the longest time. I did one of their other IPA's and it was good but the cost on that kit always kept me away.

I brewed it yesterday. The all grain took a lot longer than typical extract kits as usual but I believe it all went well. I hit my OG, but had to boil for 15 minutes longer to hit my evaporation target. The one issue I did hit was on mash volume. I was supposed to mash with 26.5L but with 17.5lbs of grain, my mashtun was up to the brim at only 24L. It was also hard to keep a balanced heat throughout the mash with that much volume. I would suggest not doing the all grain without a 10g mashtun.

They were spot on about the 1g loss due to hops. Straining the hops was a major pain and I still ended up with considerable hop residue in primary. I hope the 2 stage 1 week yeast starter I build knocks out the 1.092 OG!

Back