Anyone brewed a 65+ % rye beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnybrewgoode

Reaction score
I'm a brewer for a 3.5bbl brewery. I do a rye IPA that rye makes up about 40% of the grain bill. I am curious to know how 65 or 75% rye is, if anyone has tried it.
I unfortunately don't have a pilot system, so I wing recipes

I've used 52% Rye malt in a NEIPA, and the mash was like a pot of glue. Took over an hour to lauter/drain, with lots of stirring and adding extra boiling water to get it somewhat fluid. Followed by 2 batch sparges.

52% Rye malt
21% 2-Row
9% Flaked Oats
9% Golden Naked Oats
9% Crystal Malt
Also added 4% Rice Hulls, should have used more

I'm a brewer for a 3.5bbl brewery. I do a rye IPA that rye makes up about 40% of the grain bill. I am curious to know how 65 or 75% rye is, if anyone has tried it.
I unfortunately don't have a pilot system, so I wing recipes
Where are you located? Any chance that a local home brewer could give it a go and be your "pilot system" if you provided the ingredients?

I did a 100% rye malt beer and the viscosity was just too much. I suspect the 65%-75% range will produce similar results. Very snot-like. It was then I realized I'm not a fan of rye, except for chocolate rye. I strongly advise against brewing a large batch, as most will probably find it undrinkable. Of course, you could always blend it with something if you need to get rid of it.

I did a 98% rye, 2% acidulated Rye Lager. 3.75 gal. batch, 5.25 lb. rye, 1/8 lb. sour, 3/8 lb. rice hulls. Beta glucan rest, 109 f, 20 minutes, 130 f, 30 minutes, 149 f, 50 minutes, 158 f, 20 minutes. 1. 044 OG, 4.43% abv. , 31 ibu. Tasted good, but very high body. with the rests done, was very easy to drain and sparge.

Back