Anyone bought a pump-n-seal recently?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonsjax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the company is defunct, or just very slow to process my order. I have about 15 lbs of hops in my freezer that I would like to vacuum seal in some canning jars, so at the recommendation of some threads here, I ordered the pump-n-seal http://www.pump-n-seal.com/.

That was several weeks ago. I didn't get a confirmation or any other kind of email, and my CC has not been charged. I emailed them last week to see if my order had been received or not, and haven't heard back. I don't want to re-order if it's already being processed, but I don't want to wait months if it's not.. knowwhatImean?

I dont mean to insult, but why would you order this? It just sounds like a crazy device and doesnt sound like it will stand up to time.

On a positive note, there is a number on there website and the website certificate is still good. You might want to give them a call.

I think it took them 5 business days from when I ordered to charge and ship. Shipping was pretty quick. Less than 2 weeks said and done. You should probably give them a call.

I dont mean to insult, but why would you order this? It just sounds like a crazy device and doesnt sound like it will stand up to time.

No offense, I thought the same thing, but it got some recommendations here, and Google is loaded with positive reviews, including this one, which talks specifically about using it for hops storage: http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/HopStorage.html

I'm just saying it sounds similiar to the stuff you can find now at Grocery stores and Walmart , you know those ones that are battery operated and use bags with built in valves. I just wouldnt trust that valve, and there website graphics look quite outdated as does the product.

What's to say a hand pump is any different than an electric pump when it comes to vacuum sealing a jar? Probably companies that make electric pumps lol...

I've been half heartedly looking for a pump to use with the foodsaver "jar" apparatus.

I've been half heartedly looking for a pump to use with the foodsaver "jar" apparatus.

This one works with the foodsaver jar sealer:
reynolds_handi_vac-400-400.jpg

I use it to get the jar to about -18 psi, then the hand pump (see my post a few above for the Alvin food saver), to get it to about -23 PSI, which is the best the hand pump can pull...

Oh hey thanks for pointing out your post! I had no idea a brake vacuum pump was so strong. Maybe I'll swing by the hardware store on my way home...

How well do your hops keep? (assuming you're using it for hops)

Oh hey thanks for pointing out your post! I had no idea a brake vacuum pump was so strong. Maybe I'll swing by the hardware store on my way home...

How well do your hops keep? (assuming you're using it for hops)

The hops keep extremely well. I've noticed no drop in freshness since I vacuum sealed them 4 days ago in the mason jars and tossed them in the freezer...

Sorry, no big history yet.....but the process went very smoothly!

I have to amend my earlier statement though. -23 psig is lower than actual vacuum. THe scale reads in inches of mercury, so -23 inHg (gauge) = 7/30 atms remaining....or around 24% of the air remaining, (since PV=nRT).

Damn, that's not as low as I'd like....but the cheapie Harbor Freight vacuum pump only gets to around -25 inHg even when I just stick my finger over the nozzle....so I don't think it can pull any more than that, and that still leaves 17% air remaining.

Oh well, I doubt you can get much closer to absolute vacuum in a mason jar no matter what you do.....and bags seem like a monumental pain to have to reseal each time....(plus who knows how much air you get out of THEM).

I think, though, once my mason jars start to get a little less full, (I have quart jars, and they are nearly full of hops), I'll put some "filler" in there to soak up airspace, (maybe some popcorn kernels or something??)

I think, though, once my mason jars start to get a little less full, (I have quart jars, and they are nearly full of hops), I'll put some "filler" in there to soak up airspace, (maybe some popcorn kernels or something??)

Filler might be a good idea but I wonder about popcorn kernels. They have moisture in them which turns to steam when they "pop". I don't know if that moisture would be good for the hops - maybe something solid and inert like stainless steel ball bearings?

Filler might be a good idea but I wonder about popcorn kernels. They have moisture in them which turns to steam when they "pop". I don't know if that moisture would be good for the hops - maybe something solid and inert like stainless steel ball bearings?

Hmmm, true, although I have heard that they can be vacuum sealed well....

Maybe just some clean marbles....of course the packing fraction will kill me......if I could figure out a good way to do it with cornmeal that would be nice....or something else with a high packing fraction, low volatility, cheap, and easy.....

(sounds like the perfect girlfriend....:fro:)

As lame as the website is, and as skeptical as I was buying the Pump n Seal, it works quite well. The instructions claim it pulls "28 inches of vacuum," which, without units, may sound a bit sketchy to the scientific-minded, but that's pretty close to a true vacuum if accurate. Judging from the rush of air upon opening, I'd say it's doing a good job at the very least. Extremely easy and fast to use, small, no batteries.. Punch a hole, stick on a tab-chek, pump it for 3 or 4 seconds and it's done.

I own the Reynold's handheld thingy shown above and was fed up with losing the seal in about half the bags, even with all the tricks, bag in bag, scotch tape, etc. Not to mention it's out of production.

A pint jar holds 8 oz type-90 pellet hops or 2 oz leaf hops, though you do need to compact leaf hops with a small can/jar several times before sealing to fit this amount in -- takes a minute or two. Quart jars could therefore handle 1 lb pellets or 1/4 lb leaf. I like how mason jars are stackable in the freezer versus the old oddly shaped bags.

Verdict: Great for pellet hops, good for leaf hops in moderate quantities.

I will report back if any jars lose the seal.

I think one big PITA with the bags with valves is that the valve bends on the surface of the bag, (if the bag bends), whereas the "bandaid" that pump-n-seal uses is on the flat lid, so it probably seals better.

That said, I went with the Alvin sealer method instead....love it.
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Alvin-Vacuum-Sealer/

That's what I'm going with once I get the jar attachment. (no hurry, I'll pick one up on my next trip out of town rather than pay shipping)
I already have jars and a break bleeder pump.

Update: My CC had not been charged, so I called pump-n-seal people, who said they have no record of my order. I placed an order on the phone and they said I would get it in about 7 days.

I already put my opened hops in mason jars in the freezer. A liter jar holds the 18+ oz of pellets from hopsdirect perfectly. All that's missing is a vacuum.

That's true, the jars do hold a bit more than I stated. Forgot that Hopsdirect pounds are 18 oz :D

I ordered mine in July. It took a few weeks to arrive but other than that, no complaints. It works remarkably well sealing jars.

I should update that I have been able to fit more leaf hops into jars. These are really more ideal for pellets obviously, but I can get about 3+ oz leaf hops into a pint jar and about 7 oz. leaf hops into a quart jar using a plastic cup or small can to smash them down the first time, about 5 minutes. They stay pretty well compacted if you want to remove a 1/2 ounce here, 1/4 ounce there later on, no need to recompact.

I got my pump-n-seal about a week after placing the order for real. It works great. Very simple to use, no batteries, no mess, perfect. I also vacuumed out the small jars of washed yeast that I had in the fridge while I was at it.

Latest posts

Back