anyone aged in scotch whisky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefriot

Reaction score
About 8 months ago i had a small accident with a bottle of Chivas Regal 18. Bottle broke and left me with a 1/3rd that might have glass shards in it. Instead of tossing it i added it to a mason jar with oak cubes. Its been resting on these for 8 months now.
Just finished up a 12% strong scotch ale and a 11.6% barley wine these will need to age for some time and i thought about taking a couple gallons and adding the oak cubes.
What im wondering is will the peat flavor just end up overpowering the beer?
Ive done a wee heavy on bourbon once with so so results. Me and 15 of my homebrew club members bought a bourbon barrel last spring and brewed a RIS at a local brewery and we are waiting till march to bottle it so havnt had much experiance.
Id like to hear from people that have tried this and what beer did you use.
My first choice would be the strong scotch ale but might do both if i have enough oak cubes.

Not exactly the same, but I brewed a "Jameson" Irish Ale a year or two ago. I can't remember the exact amt. of Jameson I added...... 8-10 ounces with roasted oak cubes. Added it all to secondary (6 gallon batch).
I have had success with Bourbon Barrel Porter ( 12-14 ounces of Makers Mark with Roast cubes) - same basic process. Thought the Irish Red with Jameson would be an interesting experiment.

Long story short - it was a dumper eventually - just too overpowering. However, I think that had to do with too much booze on a moderate gravity beer. I think it had potential and would entertain doing it again with much less Jameson.

I think it is definitely worth a shot, at least with some of the beer. I think the strong scotch ale would be as good as anything to try it on. I would absolutely try it on a couple gallons, but I would definitely start by trying it on the low end of scotch addition. If you only use the cubes and not the scotch itself, I would not think you would overpower it. Or use half the cubes, etc. I think a "hint" of scotch would be great ...... you just don't want it to go the other way where you have a "hint" of beer. That is what I ended up with the Irish Red and Jameson..... again though - I think that was my own fault for using too much.

Three years ago on "Teach a friend to Home Brew Day", we hooked up with a local brewery and they supplied hot water, hops and yeast. We had several brewers brewing so we got 60 gallons of beer. We put it all in 5-7 gallon fermenters and took it to one guys basement. When finished we put it in a Rye whiskey barrel. 53 gallons of a Rye IPA anyway. After 8 months we kegged it and it was AWESOME! Probably one of the best beers we've ever brewed. I took some to a festival and people really liked it with several saying it was the best beer there.

Now a Scotch barrel would be interesting. I would think some smokeyness in a Scotch ale would be excellent. Definitely worth a try!

Back