anyne used these lowe's 5 gal coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for it. I use an Igloo 5 gal. cooler and works great. One drawback is that you are limited to around 11# of grains that can be used along with your water but other than that I have no complaints with mine. Good luck and enjoy!:)

My doesn't say Lowes on it, but it's the same Rubbermaid one as that, same color even. Works fine, and I've already fit 14lbs of grain in mine. I think I would not go any higher than 15.

imasickboy said:
At a 1:1 water to grain ratio, you can just squeeze 15 pounds of grain in there.

one could also dough in very thick and do 2-3 batch sparges to collect enough wort, and get good efficiency.

several options here.

I love my 5 gal cooler. I have a 10 also, but most of my brews are under 1.060 so I like the 5gal for those batches.

Bernie Brewer said:
Get the big'un. You're going to ten gallon batches eventually anyway. You just don't realize it yet.:)
Second the 10 gallon-I started with the 5 gal and its OK-but it is really maxed out at around 12 pounds grain if you want to have room to add more water or stir it without worrying about spillover. With a 10 gal you can do just about any style or gravity. Its not a bad idea to have the 5 gal to start-I use the 5 gal for a hotliquor tank now.

Yeah, mine is the Lowes version of the Rubbermaind. Wally World usually has it cheaper if you don't mind shopping there.

you would be limited to brews under about 1.070 or 13lbs of grist depending on your efficiency

i almost bought one but a pro brewer friend of mine said i would out grow it quickly. especially if i was going to go beyond 5 gallon batches

I started with the 5-gallon cooler. It wasn't long before it was relegated to this:

Prechiller_Rubbermaid.jpg

Pre-chiller.

Ante up for the bigger beast. Life will be easier.

I used a similar one for a couple years and it worked great. Temps stayed constant. And I'll agree that with a thick mash at 1 qt/lb you can easily fit 14 lbs in there, to do up to 1.070 or so beers. Now that I have a 10 gallon cooler, I still use it as a hot liquor tank.

I ended up going with 5 gal igloos from sears that say 'craftsman'. Lowes didn't have any in stock and there is no wally world nearby.

I got 2 - 1 for hlt and one for mlt.

If I outgrow them later I can find other uses for them or donate them to new aspring brewers.

It should work, it's overkill, but it'll probably end up pushing you toward bigger batches because you'll see all that extra room that you're not using in there, and I think we all like to be efficient. My only thought is grain bed depth if you fly sparge.

Back