Anybody know of any BBQ beer recipies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! Maybe 12oz of A.1. to your boil...that would be interesting to say the least. Or season up some 2 row with your favorite bbq rub and roast it in the oven.

To be honest, I'm not the best guy to take advice from.

Cheers!

Here's a recipe for a beer that may be good to drink while EATING bbq. It comes from Charlie Papazian's book "Microbrewed Adventures".

"Mile-High Green Chile Ale"

7.5 lbs of Pale Malt
1 lbs crsytal malt (20-L)
1/2 oz UK Kent Goldings hops (60 mins)
1/2 oz Fuggles (60 min)
3/4 oz UK Kent Goldings (20 min)
1/2 oz Fuggles (20 min)
1 lbs fire-roasted green Anaheim (or santa fe) green chilies with the skins
American ale yeast
1/4 tsp irish moss
Primary 1 week at 70

If you can, it recomends letting it sit at 55 degrees for another week in secondary.
The recipe says to do a step infusion mash. Add 8.5 quarts of 140 degree water to the grain and hold for 30 minutes at 132. Then bring it up to 155 for another 30. Then to 167, lauter and sparge with 3.5 gallons of 170 degree watter. Boil 5.5 gallons 60 minutes. Add chopped and roasted chilies to your secondary.

Target OG is 1.051
FG should be around 1.012

I may try this when summer rolls around. I think it will go nicely with BBQ!

Rauchbier or a malty amber with a small amount of peated malt will give a nice smokey flavor. I also think an amber colored beer would add to the BBQness of the drink.

You could toast some mesquite chips and secondary to those. I like the idea of hickory chips as well but I seem to associate mesquite with BBQ before hickory...

Some molasses may also add some good flavors but I would NOT use BBQ sauce.

Good luck...

A local brewery here recently made a pilot batch called "Jerk". Yup, he used jerk spices in it. I never got to try it, but he talked about trying it again. They do some crazy **** over there! The last 2 pilot batches were made with red beans and rice. Rosemary scotch ale was another out of the pilot brewery.

actually i think i am going to try to make an amber ale with some hints of BBQ haha , ill let you know if it turns out alright, im not expecting anything but will see haha

Latest posts

Back