Is there any decent indoor electric replacement for a proper BBQ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken Crow

Ale's what cures 'ya
Reaction score
Background: My Father-In-Law is turning 91. A couple years ago, my GF's parents moved from their lakefront house to a condo, bowing to the reality of age and having to 'slow-down'. Despite being 90, this is a guy who doesn't slow down easily and I can totally relate to the no longer being able to build something, repair boat, design and prototype a new machine or whatever. He loved his BBQ and what he did with it is the stuff of legend. He can't hide his restlessness and with his birthday coming up I'd like to give him back his BBQing..but he can't have a proper gas BBQ in his condo. Is there any kind of indoor countertop grill that can actually come close to replacing a proper BBQ?

Need to clarify... Are you asking for BBQ (i.e. low and slow and smoky) or an indoor electric grill.

If it's actually BBQ, I can't imagine that anything indoors will suffice. Problem is that smoke is smoke, and you don't want it indoors. On cooking shows I've seen stovetop smokers and smoking guns, but I don't think any of them would replicate an actual smoker. If the condo has an outdoor patio, I'd investigate whether he'd be allowed to have a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.

If you're looking for more of a grill, I haven't really messed with the electric grills (think George Foreman style) much. But I'd think the best solution is some cast iron. If he's got a gas stove, you can just get a cast iron grill pan for the stove. If not, however, getting him a cast iron grill pan and a standalone electric induction burner would do it. He'll have to experiment and learn to adapt his technique to the equipment, but it sounds like that's the sort of challenge he'd enjoy.

Need to clarify... Are you asking for BBQ (i.e. low and slow and smoky) or an indoor electric grill.

If it's actually BBQ, I can't imagine that anything indoors will suffice. Problem is that smoke is smoke, and you don't want it indoors. On cooking shows I've seen stovetop smokers and smoking guns, but I don't think any of them would replicate an actual smoker. If the condo has an outdoor patio, I'd investigate whether he'd be allowed to have a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.

If you're looking for more of a grill, I haven't really messed with the electric grills (think George Foreman style) much. But I'd think the best solution is some cast iron. If he's got a gas stove, you can just get a cast iron grill pan for the stove. If not, however, getting him a cast iron grill pan and a standalone electric induction burner would do it. He'll have to experiment and learn to adapt his technique to the equipment, but it sounds like that's the sort of challenge he'd enjoy.
Thanks! You're links have led me down a rabbit hole.. :p (I always enjoy a good rabbit hole)
What I'm really wondering is if there is some way of getting ribs, chicken, burgers and fish done with the same depth (and maybe charring) indoors on a countertop, without the propane/natural gas BBQ that he used to make heaven on.
I've only used ordinary gas BBQ's myself, and since a brain injury, I have trouble with 'new ideas', so it's a bit difficult to make sure that I'm asking the appropriate question. That taste that flame gives to a good piece of meat and the intuitive way a good cook uses the tool that does it... That's what I'm looking for, and from the links you've provided, this pics in the reviews strongly suggest that I'm looking in the right direction. It must be an indoor unit though.
Thanks for the head start! :bigmug:

natural gas/propane is not wood smoke so you are not referring to ribs, brisket, etc. but rather grilling more like streaks chicken burgers fish etc. Air fryers do a good job of mimicking grilling. The smoke flavor of grilling on gas come from fat burning (very different than a clean wood smoke). Cast iron pans also have the heat retention that produces a good mallard reaction (that is the flavor loaded crust that we love when we grill). While low a slow BBQers loathe the smoke from burning fat, it does add a nice flavor when grilling. Some of that will be replicated with indoor cooking, just open the windows and turn off the smoke detector.

Sous vide combined with a quick pan sear is becoming very popular way of cooking meats to perfection indoors.

Note on ribs. BBQ ribs are usually cooked low n slow on a wood smoke, but there are great ribs done on a grill like in Chinese and Korean BBQ. They are not as tender as ribs cooked for 5 hours at 225° but tasty nevertheless.

Liquid smoke: goes a long way. Some folks do not like the taste of liquid smoke. However, Sweet Baby Rays uses it in their famous sauce without complaints.

natural gas/propane is not wood smoke so you are not referring to ribs, brisket, etc. but rather grilling more like streaks chicken burgers fish etc. Air fryers do a good job of mimicking grilling. The smoke flavor of grilling on gas come from fat burning (very different than a clean wood smoke). Cast iron pans also have the heat retention that produces a good mallard reaction (that is the flavor loaded crust that we love when we grill). While low a slow BBQers loathe the smoke from burning fat, it does add a nice flavor when grilling. Some of that will be replicated with indoor cooking, just open the windows and turn off the smoke detector.

Sous vide combined with a quick pan sear is becoming very popular way of cooking meats to perfection indoors.

Note on ribs. BBQ ribs are usually cooked low n slow on a wood smoke, but there are great ribs done on a grill like in Chinese and Korean BBQ. They are not as tender as ribs cooked for 5 hours at 225° but tasty nevertheless.

Liquid smoke: goes a long way. Some folks do not like the taste of liquid smoke. However, Sweet Baby Rays uses it in their famous sauce without complaints.

All very well said!

One thing I would add... My wife's *favorite* ribs are when I sous vide them. I season them like normal BBQ ribs, cook them for 24 hours at 149 degrees, and then finish with sauce on the grill [indirect heat] to caramelize the sauce. You could just as easily finish in the oven on a baking sheet for the sauce; I only do it on the grill because there's less cleanup. I've never used liquid smoke on that recipe, but if you absolutely need the smoke flavor, it'll get you there.

When I do ribs on the smoker, and nail them 100%, I like them more than the sous vide ribs. But the sous vide ribs are NEVER anything but excellent, whereas the challenge of doing them on the smoker means there's a little more variation. Higher highs, lower lows.

Back