Anybody else despise IPAs and other bitter beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abw73

Reaction score
In my small, close circle of people I know, who are mostly women, zero like IPA, or any bitter beers for that matter.

I can't stand them. I find IPA very overrated and they burn out my taste buds. Sometimes I feel people just drink them to be one of the guys like we did with cheap beer back in the day.

Is there anybody else who can't stand IPAs? I don't mean you will drink one once in a while, or have to be in the mood, or there is only 1 or 2 you like, no I mean... despise, can't stand, refuse to drink them.

Am I alone? Anybody else?

Nothing wrong if you love them. Drink whatever you want.

I used to dislike them, but like them now. I have a good friend who thought he hated craft beer until he discovered that he only hated ipas.

I agree with you. Drink what you like.

Despise? No...
But to follow your sentiment, I think the craft brew trend of cramming hops in the fermenter until they hold no more is waning.
I bought some dogfish 90 just to see why this beer costs so much. Not impressed. Surly furious makes my eyes roll to the back of my head. OTOH Harpoon makes an IPA that is well balanced.
There are some good IPA's out there. For my palate, a well balanced hop presence is desirable. When it gets to the point of facial contortion... well...

I rarely add a significant amount of hops after the initial 60 minute bittering hops. I mostly make Bock, Dunkel, and Stout.

Although a few weeks ago I had a pale ale that had more hop character than I'm used to and I didn't hate it. In fact, I kind of liked it.

I don’t despise, however I usually avoid. There have been a few that were interesting. It’s usually tough to finish a pint of bitter beer. Sometimes I wish I could order a half pint of ipa, just to try. Then I’d go with something else for the rest of the night.

On the flip side- it’s nice to see more pilsners on tap now.
Seems like just a while ago, taps would be filled with 5 or 6 ipa’s and several stouts. It’s refres to see more than one pilz available.

I'm am not a fan of IPA's. It seems to me that people are just trying to cram as much hops into their beer for the novelty of it. I was recently thinking that maybe I just haven't found an IPA that tastes balanced to my palate so I'm thinking of experimenting with them to try and find something that I like. But I usually just stick to stouts, lagers, wiess, and ambers.

I prefer Beers along the lines of SNPA, Bell's Two Hearted, Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin or Founder's All Day IPA. I like hop flavor from the hops that give off grapefruit or citrus flavors. What I despise is sweetness in a beer and a lot of the commercial IPAs have a great deal of residual sweetness...... Blah!!!

I don't really dig IPAs either. I do make a hoppy pale ale often though to ~35 IBUs. That's the sweet spot for me. I also had some BMC friends who were turned off to craft beer because they tried IPAs first. They do drink up my HPAs though.

Although I liked the hoppiest, most bitter IPAs at some point, I am not that much into them right now. I still drink them, but I find that I want different things from the style.

It depends which kind of bitterness you are talking about and how you perceive it. I like english bitters. And most of them are bitter, but not in the way an IPA is. I like styles of beer, where not only the hops play a huge role, like they do in IPAs.

But drinking what you like is a good rule to follow and advice for anybody.

no need to knock a beer style you don't like - move on and savor that you enjoy.

sours aren't my thing, but many of my friends love them. cheers to them for enjoying sours, and cheers to my local pubs for offering a variety of styles from a variety of local craft brewers so we can all have a beer (or three) that we enjoy while engaged together in great conversation

Do you also hate coffee and a lot of green vegetables?

Your comment really set me back a second. It's like you can see into my soul. I dislike almost all hop forward beers, despise all things coffee (hot, cold, cappuccino, etc), and have never liked fresh vegetables.

How did you know?

I have another related question - My brother is a hard core coffee junkie, and thinks fresh green vegetables -especially cruciferous veggies are all that and then some. But he would rather drink yak pee direct from the faucet than drink an IPA - What does it all mean???? Me - I loved IPA three days ago. Today not so much. Day after tomorrow it could all be back on again! But then i am fickle.

I think some of the hop-bomb brews are more of a d1ck-measuring contest to see who can cram the most IBUs into a beer. That said, I do enjoy a balanced IPA or IIPA that brings as much flavor and aroma to my senses as bitterness. I particularly enjoy many of the West Coast styles--a treat for the nose as well as the tongue.

But I understand how the IPA thing is getting a little out of hand. I see it a lot in bars and restaurants that are late to the craft beer scene. They decide "we need to finally get into the craft beer thing" and they bolt on a few IPAs to their BMC selections.

Your comment really set me back a second. It's like you can see into my soul. I dislike almost all hop forward beers, despise all things coffee (hot, cold, cappuccino, etc), and have never liked fresh vegetables.

How did you know?

It's a matter of your palate and bitterness. A lot of green vegetables are bitter, coffee is bitter, and IPAs are bitter. Perhaps you also like milk chocolate but don't really like dark chocolate?

I'm the opposite. I can eat all the bitter stuff in the world, but can't stomach things that are too sweet. I drink coffee black, enjoy bitter vegetables, enjoy IPA, and buy the darkest chocolate I can find.

Back