Anybody cook Venison Heart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I searched and found a few recipes for venison, but none for the heart. I told myself that this year I was gonna try the heart because as I get older I find that my tastes mature as well.

Beer is a perfect example, 10 years ago my two favorit beers were either bud light or free :eek:

so, I saved the heart from one of this years whitetail does to try something with, just not sure what???

I searched and found a few recipes for venison, but none for the heart. I told myself that this year I was gonna try the heart because as I get older I find that my tastes mature as well.

Beer is a perfect example, 10 years ago my two favorit beers were either bud light or free :eek:

so, I saved the heart from one of this years whitetail does to try something with, just not sure what???

We use the heart and kidneys to make "Blood Sausage" I myself do not eat it, but those that do, love it.

Salute! :mug:

I like to use heart in a stir-fry with veggies, but it also goes great in soups & stews. It's a chewy textured meat & doesn't get as tender as say, brisket, but it's very good; in fact it's one of my favourites. Try slicing heart into pieces about the size of your index finger & doing a stir-fry with butter, a little onion, and about a cup of white wine, say riesling. Let it simmer till the wine reduces by 1/2. You can also sub some stout or porter for the wine if you like. You can add anything you like, veggies, spices, herbs, etc... I like to add some crimini mushrooms & just let it simmer till it gets kinda thick, then I just pour it over some long grain & wild rice, I also like to drizzle a little bit of honey on top just before serving. Just about anything that you would use beef in, you can use venison, or venison heart. Regards, GF.

I always take it, slice it about 1/4" thick and then into a pan preheated over high heat with some Olive Oil. Brown it one side, flip and then splash with a little Soy and Worsteshire and let that thicken a little. Goes great with fried eggs. It should be medium-rare.

I don't eat it, but my husband loves it.

We use it in a tarragon/creamy sauce. It's kind of like a stew. I'll see if I can dig out the recipe after work today.

Had beef heart cooked low and slow. Say at least 6 hours at 180F. Leave the salt off, but put any spices on you like. When its done, you can cut it with a fork.

So I finally cooked the heart.

I cut it open and removed all the veins, tubes, etc.

Sliced each section and pounded them with the back side of my cleaver. egg bath and then shook in a flour/panko bread crumb mix with my prime rib rub.

fried in 350 degree canolo oil in the dutch oven for 2 minutes per side

Basically, I made country fried steak with it. Damn, was it tasty and melted in the mouth, with a nice crunchy outside.

The hell of it is, I wasn't drinking tonight so didn't pair it with a good beer. now that I know how good it is, its gonna be a "special treat" next year that I'll pick a good brew to pair it with.

I'm thinking a nut brown or a porter would go great.

We used to have this when I was a kid. Wish I could get myself to go back to hunting. But I digress. My grandma used to pickle it, and/or can it. We used to also cube it up and fry in butter and flour (classic can't-go-wrong recipe).

I haven't had it since I was pretty young, but I'd eat it again in a heartbeat if it were available. Pun intended.

I have been an avid deer hunter for years here in Iowa, but can't get past the heart thing. I take it out and usually give it away.

I have been an avid deer hunter for years here in Iowa, but can't get past the heart thing. I take it out and usually give it away.

I used to be the same way, but now that I have eaten it It will be a regular thing.

Seriosly, if someone gave you this and didn't tell you what it was, you would think it was the best piece of deer meat you ever ate.

Mmmm....

Fresh venison heart and Bells Best Brown.

I cut the heart into thin strips (against the grain), salt and pepper, and saute in butter with fresh mushrooms and onions.

Making me hungry just thinking about it.

Ant

oh yeah...a thread after my own heart (no pun intended)...I think some people think I am crazy, but myself and wife and kids all love to eat deer heart. I usually take 1 deer bowhunting and at least 2 during rifle season. So we get at least 3 chances to eat it..It's best fresh. I slice it about 1/2" thick...salt pepper, and saute in some melted butter...best darn meat ever....well that and the backstraps/tenderloins of a young buck or doe.....best, most tender meat ever!!
Dan

Back