Any Way to Salvage This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsavatar

Reaction score
I made the fatal mistake of letting my LHBS convert an all grain recipe to partial mash for me instead of doing the calcs myself. He gave me 6 lbs of LME plus 5 lbs of grain. That should have sent up a red flag right there. I didn't think much of it though, but now my dry stout with only 1 oz of 8.00 bullion is measuring a SG of 1.065. Is there any way to salvage this thing so it's remotely drinkable?

Very well, here's the recipe

6 lbs pale LME
3 lbs pale 2 row (UK)
1 lb flaked barley
.75 lb roasted barley
.25 lb chocolate malt
1 oz. Bullion 8AA hops (bittering)
WLP004 Irish Ale yeast (no starter, because I wasn't planning on a 1.065 OG)
8 oz Maltodextrin (guess I didn't need this did I?)

Mashed grains for 1 hour between 150-153F
Soaked in 180F (grain dropped the temperature to about 168F) water for 15 minutes to rinse
Boil time 60 minutes

Ok, so my first question is what is the OG you were expecting? At 80% efficiency, I get an OG of 1.066 with 5.25 gallons in the boil kettle with those grains.

What do you think is wrong?

As far as I can tell, there is nothing to salvage because that will be a great beer.

FG is 1.021. I'm going to bottle it tomorrow, but the beer out of the test jar tastes somewhat interesting. I wish I had added a bit more roasted malt in place of some of the pale though. It could have used a bit more roast, but it should still be a good beer, and hopefully will have an even better flavor in a few weeks.

Back