Any Vivarium builders/Owners out here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been twitching a bit over a small Vivarium I put togther for a pair of Tree Frogs and a Anole. Lots of fun the habitat design stuff.

Lots of hardware available to suck the accounts dry.

I can see myself evolving this into something for some Dart Frogs, one day.

Nope.. I did a terrarium in a carboy once. I didn't open it for over 5 years and it always looked beautiful. Really tough planting very small plants, used something similar to giant chop sticks. Once you get the right amount of water in there, you just seal it up and it takes care of itself.

Hmm.. Dart Frogs, now that's something useful to own. You never know when you'll need to take out somebody with a blowdart.

Had a whites and two green tree frogs in a large vivarium I built back in highschool. Spent a lot of money on the thing and even more on all the lighting, heating pads, and accessories. Then I went off to college and sold it all.

Sorta wish I still had it... though it was a pain dealing with the crickets and being around all the time for feeding/ect.

I have a small 10 gallon vivarium with a d. auratus dart frog. I used to have a pair, but one died about a year ago. They are pretty cool to own, but really are mostly for display. My vivarium is really simple: mostly moss some small plants. I'll try to post a pic of the setup and the frog a little later.

One of my fishtanks recently lost its center support and I came really close to converting it, but ended up tossing it. I definitely plan on either trying a closed terrarium or vivarium sometime in the future. You guys into fishtanks too? I've been keeping fish since I was 6. Done it all, all the way up to reefs, but I'm down to a 10gal community now. I also care for a 20 gal community at work.

Here is my small setup and a close-up of my frog:

vivarium.bmp
[/IMG]

dart_frog.bmp
[/IMG]

I started out with;

IMG_13642.JPG

and expanded into;

IMG_00306.JPG

the previous tank is now a cricket condo / maternity ward.

IMG_13661.JPG

Green anole aka "Buddy".

IMG_13682.JPG

Green Tree Frog (look for the eyeball just to the right of the plant). We have 2 now, "Peanut" and "Trashcan".

I have gone all tits on the tank. Live plants, ExoTerra Light cycle unit, Repti-Fogger, HygroTherm controller, and ExoTerra Monsoon. Hoping one day to move everything into a much larger tank and develope a paladarium.

New box is complete!

MG_4335-5-5.jpg

Full View

MG_4347-15-15.jpg

MG_4344-12-12.jpg

Left half

MG_4345-13-13.jpg

Right half

MG_4350-18-18.jpg

Night-time view (simulated moonlight)

And the stars of the show;

IMG_4310-1-1.jpg

Buddy (Green Anole, Male)

MG_4332-3-3.jpg

Ted (taken from Dr Suess) Fire belly toad.

MG_4342-10-10.jpg

Buddy again

MG_4338-7-7.jpg

we call this one breakfst, lunch, and dinner. It has 3999 just like it.

MG_4340-8-8.jpg

Fred

Here is my small setup and a close-up of my frog:

dart_frog.bmp

Love the Dendrobates. Not so much the price tags for the thumbnails.

With this new enclosure I'll be adding a pair of whites, a companion for my Green TF, a female for my Green Anole, and a pair of Red Eyeds.

Maybe even a couple Golden Gecko's.

First things first, I need to get some Glass shrimp and a pair of freshwater crab in teh water to help clean up the drowned crickets.

Awesome Gila, that's how pets should be treated. I would love to have a little bigger setup like that for an emerald tree boa.

_

Awesome Gila, that's how pets should be treated. I would love to have a little bigger setup like that for an emerald tree boa.

_

Thanks. And I agree completely. Either you go full tilt and make them a home or leave them alone. I don't have a dog because I don't believe I have a large enough lot for anything more than a small/toy breed. And I grew up with high maintenance small breed dogs all my life.

Don;t know how long I will be able to hold out tho'. My boys are getting older and both ask for a dog now and again. I keep telling themn we alread have a cat but that one is 14 years old now. Not sure how many days he has left.

Damned box has more automation than my brewery. :rockin:

The green bar at top right is a digital readout panel for a HygroTherm controller. Controls the humidity and heat. It's relay based and swutches on the fogger to raise the humidity or a heating pad to raise the heat.

The lighting system has it's own controls. It starts a 20 min cycle every morning at 7:00 slowly raising the light levels to simulate dawn. Once the tubes are at full power (20 minutes) the basking flood kicks on, and the night lighting turns off. The cycle reverses after 12 hours to simulate dusk. Basking light off, tubes gradually dim down, night lighting kicks on, tubes shut off completely.

The box also has a automated misting system to simulate a 20 second rain shower every 8 hours.

The water is thermostatically maintained at 75*F.

And there is a ventilation fan that cycles on randomly for 5 to 10 minutes every hour to simulate a breeze and change the air.

The only thing not automated is feeding.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Damned box has more automation than my brewery. :rockin:

Once again, awesome. Although it's not much more automation than the average house has to keep us happy.

Your pets will thrive and won't even know why, and that's how it should be.

_

Once again, awesome. Although it's not much more automation than the average house has to keep us happy.

Your pets will thrive and won't even know why, and that's how it should be.

_

And yet, so many frogs have been murdered. These few are the survivors of my journey from ignorance to get to here. Strong little fvckers with a massive will to live.

Latest posts

Back