Any tips for my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spohl1

Reaction score
I want to brew a 10 gallon batch of honey brown ale and made up this recipe. If anyone has any changes/suggestions that would be awesome. Thanks in advance

12# 2row
2# caramel 40
2# brown malt
2# honey malt
.5# chocolate malt

Mash @152 for 60

1.5 oz northern brewer @60

Honey @ flameout or secondary not sure yet

Us-05 yeast

Ok are you saying you are not using the honey malt? Because 2 lbs. of honey malt seems pretty high. What is your intended O.G.?

I meant 2 pounds of actual honey as well. I have this recipe entered into the brewers friend app and og is 1.057 which is right where i want it. If that seems like too much honey malt i can drop a pound i just want to come close to sleemans honey brown

I would back that honey malt down by a pound yes. On the chocolate malt would that be pale chocolate 225L or American chocolate 300L? How roasty do you want it? If you do drop the honey malt down a pound consider some Victory malt to still get your 1.057 O.G.

The website im ordering it from does not specify it just says chocolate malt. I placed the order already but i will still drop a pound of honey malt and if the og is a bit lower thats ok. Also is it better to add the actual honey at flameout or in the secondary? I want some honey flavor but not lots

I've added honey at flameout. Adding it as late as the secondary is asking for the yeast to metabolize more sugars and prolong fermentation. The honey addition will bump up your O.G. also.

Back