Any tips for first compition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_rouse

Reaction score
I've been brewing for awhile and I have made quite a few beers I enjoy. One of my friends is a self proclaimed beer snob and he helps with critiquing, but I'm ready to step it up to the next level and enter a local competition to really get some professional opinions on my brew.

Should I do a kit beer(is that bad) I'm an all grain brewer, or should I do my own recipe.

Is there any particular category that might be tougher for a new competitor.

Is entering in more than one category rude?

For all who's thinking to get rid of competition early don't worry about that i doubt ill be the worst of your worries!

I've been brewing for awhile and I have made quite a few beers I enjoy. One of my friends is a self proclaimed beer snob and he helps with critiquing, but I'm ready to step it up to the next level and enter a local competition to really get some professional opinions on my brew.
just remember that even judges can be swayed by personal taste.

Should I do a kit beer(is that bad) I'm an all grain brewer, or should I do my own recipe.
either way. one person can brew a kit & it'll turn out different than the next persons. there's some great kits out there.

Is there any particular category that might be tougher for a new competitor.
American Light Lager. no place for any flaws to hide.

Is entering in more than one category rude?
nope!

For all who's thinking to get rid of competition early don't worry about that i doubt ill be the worst of your worries!

new brewers have placed very well with extract kits. everyone is a potential threat to the other brewers. :rockin:

Billy-Klubb said:
American Light Lager. no place for any flaws to hide.

Yeah I was considering a IPA or maybe a stout to give me some wiggle room. Are additives a No No, like a chocolate stout or should it be as close to the beer style as possible?

Yeah I was considering a IPA or maybe a stout to give me some wiggle room. Are additives a No No, like a chocolate stout or should it be as close to the beer style as possible?

You can do a chocolate stout- and enter it into a specialty category.

There are styles in the BJCP guidelines, and the key to doing well in competition is to absolutely nail the guidelines. If something is out of style, even if it tastes like the world's best beer, it will do very poorly in a BJCP competition.

There are styles in the BJCP guidelines, and the key to doing well in competition is to absolutely nail the guidelines. If something is out of style, even if it tastes like the world's best beer, it will do very poorly in a BJCP competition.
This.

Pick your style, then develop your beer around the guidelines. Figure out the right time to brew so it will be in peak condition for the competition.

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I'm going to go with a Kölsch (category 6c I think) it fits the time line perfect and is a great beer for even refined palates. I'll do a stout next time and ill give it time to age.

You can do a chocolate stout- and enter it into a specialty category.

this right here is what's kept me from entering comps for over a decade. I like to color outside the lines a bit.

Latest posts

Back